Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Moving USB to console or glove box?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
What happens? error message? I had both the Aux port and the USB plug hooked to 2 different phones once and when I turned on my IHeart Radio app and hit the Aux button on my radio, I got an error message. I unpluged the USB and it started working fine.

On the same lines along with this thread. What I want to do is similar to the other guy. I want to leave the factory plug in place and tap into both USB and Aux port wires behind the dash and route them to the back side of the center console / arm rest where I want to add another factory USB / Aux plug. Along with that I also want to do the 400 watt anytime mod and while I do that I want to add the plug ins on the back side of the console too.
This is what I'd do. Perfect and clean
Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12SuperWhiteDC's Tacoma Gallery
No pics, but I did move the USB port to the glove box this morning. A couple how-to notes:

-remove the HVAC controls (look to Youtube for video on Tacoma stereo replacement, it's easy)
-access the back of the USB plug with a thin flat-blade screwdriver
-press down on the tab that secures the wiring harness to the USB plug and remove the harness (enlist the aid of someone with small hands to help)
-the USB plug pushes out of the front of the dash (if you get the screwdriver on the top tab holding the plug in you'll have an easier time removing it)
-the USB plug cannot simply be gutted of its wiring and returned to the dash, and replacement dash "blanks" are about $5 at the dealer's parts counter (part # for 2012 is 55539-52060-CO)
-a 3' USB extension is plenty to reach the glove box; use a 6' extension if moving it to the console
-if moving the USB plug to the console, unscrew the shifter knob and pull up on the gear selector cover to remove it (this should give you enough access to route your extension)
Old 10-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #23
Onetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Onetime27's Tacoma Gallery
^ Good detail! Thanks for the follow up.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #24
RobAF is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
RobAF's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ux-intact.html