Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Moving USB to console or glove box?

Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12SuperWhiteDC's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Moving USB to console or glove box?

I'm thinking of pulling the USB connector back into the dash, and connecting a USB extender to run it to the console or the glove box. Before I rip the dash apart (and since alldatadiy doesn't have the '12s yet) has anyone laid eyes on the backside of that connector? If so, any advice on the idea of relocating the port?

Why move it, you ask? I use the USB input to play music from a small flash drive. I'd like to remove it from sight by putting it in the console or glove box without having to yank the flash drive every time I park it.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Onetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Onetime27's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd I'm curious as I like a clean look with damn near nothing showing.
Good Luck!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Is it down below the Ac controls where the aux input is? If so, it's easy to pop it out. On the backside there is a plug.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed12SuperWhiteDC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cool

Yes, it is on the same switch blank as the aux. Thanks!

I was looking at this thread yesterday and got the idea to move the port. My wife's Accord has the AUX port in the center console.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12SuperWhiteDC View Post
Yes, it is on the same switch blank as the aux. Thanks!

I was looking at this thread yesterday and got the idea to move the port. My wife's Accord has the AUX port in the center console.
I have an aftermarket head unit, but mine is in the glove box. Wouldn't want it out in the open
Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
abcdleines is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
abcdleines's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine out and ran an extension from the back of the panel to the arm rest. Then I purchased a blank filler at the dealer to fill the hole in the dash. Much cleaner look than having my iPod wire just laying there. And my iPod is now out of sight.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
DLat27 has a spectacular aura aboutDLat27 has a spectacular aura aboutDLat27 has a spectacular aura about
Law Enforcement:
Name: Danny
DLat27's Tacoma Gallery
Show some pics if you end up doing this. Sounds like a cheap easy mod lots of people would like. Sub'd.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Is a $20 USB flash drive really worth all this trouble?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #9

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
Is a $20 USB flash drive really worth all this trouble?
last time i checked, ipods could be used through a usb port... and the cord alone costs $20....

but i do realize you are referring to the op where he said he uses a small flash drive
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I think I saw some pics awhile back, the back side of the connector mades no sense IIRC. Lots of wires for no reason. If it come down to it, just leave the connector hooked up, plug in your extension, secure it with a zip tie behind the dash and still run it to your glove box. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #11

Cool

The flash drive certainly isn't worth the trouble to protect, but the window that someone goes through to get at it is. Out of sight, out of mind....
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't bother. A thief who goes to the trouble to break in isn't going to worry about a $5 flash drive, they'll crowbar the HU right out of the dashboard and leave the flash drive.

I promise.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #13

Cool

stock head unit, so the list of suspects would be pretty short.

Oh, and I have a band clamp holding the head unit to the tailgate.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12SuperWhiteDC View Post
stock head unit, so the list of suspects would be pretty short.

Oh, and I have a band clamp holding the head unit to the tailgate.
Those 2012 HU's look pretty fancy, and that's all the thief will be looking at.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
If I had a '12 I would find out which wires are for the USB and extend those to he glove box and add an additional USB port there. This way the factory aux/USB is still in place, but the USB portion can be accessed from a second plug in your center console. just my .02
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
Banned
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
If I had a '12 I would find out which wires are for the USB and extend those to he glove box and add an additional USB port there. This way the factory aux/USB is still in place, but the USB portion can be accessed from a second plug in your center console. just my .02
Are those HU's capable of managing multiple USB devices on a hub?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Probably not. I wouldn't use a hub, nothing would be plugged into the OEM USB port. It would be tapped onto the wires behind the plug. Like splitting the signal. It would work fine unless you plug in something to both ports at the same time though. Just have to b mindful of that. Even adding a hub won't work I don't think.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Banned
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Probably not. I wouldn't use a hub, nothing would be plugged into the OEM USB port. It would be tapped onto the wires behind the plug. Like splitting the signal. It would work fine unless you plug in something to both ports at the same time though. Just have to b mindful of that. Even adding a hub won't work I don't think.
In that case, I'd be inclined to route an extension wire to the glove box and just plug it in as needed rather than hard wiring. BAD things can happen if somebody accidentally plugs in two devices to the same wire.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
In that case, I'd be inclined to route an extension wire to the glove box and just plug it in as needed rather than hard wiring. BAD things can happen if somebody accidentally plugs in two devices to the same wire.
What happens? error message? I had both the Aux port and the USB plug hooked to 2 different phones once and when I turned on my IHeart Radio app and hit the Aux button on my radio, I got an error message. I unpluged the USB and it started working fine.

On the same lines along with this thread. What I want to do is similar to the other guy. I want to leave the factory plug in place and tap into both USB and Aux port wires behind the dash and route them to the back side of the center console / arm rest where I want to add another factory USB / Aux plug. Along with that I also want to do the 400 watt anytime mod and while I do that I want to add the plug ins on the back side of the console too.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
Banned
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
What happens? error message? I had both the Aux port and the USB plug hooked to 2 different phones once and when I turned on my IHeart Radio app and hit the Aux button on my radio, I got an error message. I unpluged the USB and it started working fine.
Definitely depends on the device, if its just pulling charging current, you'll probably be fine. If you plug in, for example, two flash memory devices, you could corrupt data, or even smoke one (or both) of them.

If you just want to tap in for device charging, splice ONLY the power lines, not the data lines. Then there won't be any conflict.