1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

giant 64" link killer vs defined engineering

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sully1981, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Oct 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    sully1981

sully1981 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 SPORT 4x4
    LS3 w/4L80, Solo XLT 19" 4WD Kit and 4-Link w/32" cycled, Caged, 41 gallon fuel cell, 2.5 bypass and coil-overs up front, 3.0 bypass and 2.5 coil-over in rear, PCI radio w/intercom and 5 headsets, 50" KC Gravity LED, Method Hole Wheels, Currie 9", 37x12.5x17 BAJA T/A, PRP Seats, Glassworks 1 piece, Fiberwerx Bedsides.
    got a work truck so now time to build my tacoma since it doesn;t have to be a daily driver. defined engineering is around $1400 for 15" of travel and giant is $1700 for i think it said 19 or 20" of travel on the rear end. then of course gonna have to buy shocks but that goes both ways.

anyone have opinions about either of these. my biggest problem right now is that i have a long bed and the rear end just can't keep up with the front even with 11 leaf pack from deaver. have 3 kids so would rather build this truck and keep as the family offroader till they get bigger since its a 5 seater so time to start the save and build process but looking for some input from some "already spent the money and have these thoughts" people.

Money is obviously an issue (5 kids hahahah) but willing to save and invest properly to build it the right way so im not second guessing later.

2. Oct 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    defined kit ftw...cant wait to go pick mine up

3. Oct 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM
    Defined

Defined Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    southern california
    FYI.the most sought after gain going with a sua kit is the increase in up travel. the gain in up travel is the same between all the kits . your spending hundreds more per droop inch gained going with conventional sua kit compared to mine.

dont forget with my kit your also saving over 1000$ in install costs compared to conventional sua kits. that money saved buys lots of other things like bumps, used shocks or shit for the wife/kids.

basically are you willing to spend 1500+ extra dollars for 4-5" of droop travel?

4. Feb 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    I know this is an old thread, but would it be possible to run the Defined SUA kit, and the BAMF relocation kit with 12" shocks? What would this limit...IE I really dont want to punch through the bed...

5. Feb 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    You could do that..just make sure bumps and straps are set up right...

6. Feb 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    kcbmx

kcbmx doing my thing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Bakersfield CaLiFoRnIa
    Vehicle:
    2tr-fe 4wd
    spit cup, weathertech floor mats, riffle rack, and bilsteins.
    Collapsed length of the shock might be an issue or your not going to get the full drop length. Your also limited to a 2" body shock (from what i've seen). You would definitely want to strengthen the frame with some sort of crossmember imo. It might work in the meantime.

Products Discussed in

To Top