Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dash rings mods

Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #21
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Got the rings out! Probably going to paint them white..red a bit much
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
Cruise
TheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud of

Name: Mike
TheSmash133's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlazer View Post
Got the rings out! Probably going to paint them white..red a bit much
Nice! Did my write up help you? Hahaha I love the red look! White is just too ordinary
Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #23
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmash133 View Post
Nice! Did my write up help you? Hahaha I love the red look! White is just too ordinary
Indeed! Minus when I had to figure out how to get the two clips out of the top of the gauge cover..found the answer 2 hours later in an audio thread..the clip wasn't yelling..push in the middle and it will just pop right out!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #24
Cruise
TheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud ofTheSmash133 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlazer View Post
Indeed! Minus when I had to figure out how to get the two clips out of the top of the gauge cover..found the answer 2 hours later in an audio thread..the clip wasn't yelling..push in the middle and it will just pop right out!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Here is how mine turned out. It took maybe an hour including the time for letting the paint dry between coats.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
What'd you guys do for prepping them to paint? I'm redoing mine soon, they didn't hold up as well as I'd hoped. Hard to tell if that is metal or plastic.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
What'd you guys do for prepping them to paint? I'm redoing mine soon, they didn't hold up as well as I'd hoped. Hard to tell if that is metal or plastic.
They are plastic, I sanded them out and then used fusion primer then a flat black for mine.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #29
Cruise

It is plastic, I did nothing to prep, I just went down to autozone and got paint that's sticks to plastic. I forgot the brand name, or else I would give it. Just ask at autozone
Old 10-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #30
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I lightly sanded it and then baked it for about 15 minutes after I painted it.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #31
Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
Here is how mine turned out. It took maybe an hour including the time for letting the paint dry between coats.

Nice!!!! Looks great!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #32
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Baked before painting? Why for? open up the pores of the plastic?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #33
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Baked before painting? Why for? open up the pores of the plastic?
No, Painted and then baked. Helps the paint cure.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #34
Yacoltyota is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
Yacoltyota's Tacoma Gallery
I also did mine cant figure out how to post a pic from me phone but I prepped mine as if I was painting my grill because I wanted to see how close I could get the paint to match my impulse red.. It patched perfect with duplicolor paint so next project is getting rid of that ugly chrome grill
Old 10-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #35
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
You can use the sun too if its out, rotate them into the sun and then shade I do it 3 rotations and it dries really solid

Off topic, can somebody post a link on steering wheel removal of logo and plastics, I want to spray mine flat black, I searched, only found a link for an older tacoma, I'm after 2012 steering wheel. Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #36
Purveyor of Fun

I don't have a link, but I used an exact knife and a very thin flathead. Gently pry up the emblem one side at a time and as soon as you can see the pins that hold it into place cut them off.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #37

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't have a link, but I used an exact knife and a very thin flathead. Gently pry up the emblem one side at a time and as soon as you can see the pins that hold it into place cut them off.
2012 steering wheel, correct?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #38
Purveyor of Fun

I would be surprised if the emblem was on there differently. Maybe you could be the first to dive in there?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #39

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...yota%20Tacoma/
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #40

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
flat black

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...a/IMGP4691.jpg