LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brake clunk

Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Justinike89 is on a distinguished road
Justinike89's Tacoma Gallery
Brake clunk

Hey everyone I have just recently gotten an 06 tacoma trd off road. I have a really weird sound coming from my front end when I'm going under 30 mph that clicks when I press on the brake pedal. At first I thought it could be the transmission just dropping into first (I had a couple of Fords that did that) but I realized it happens when I press the brake pedal. I have not had time to take a look just yet, but I will look soon. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Thank you.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
its the brake pads. for the most part normal. I've seen alot of tacos do it... depending on your mileage, they could be getting low, but mine always do it when I change directions and the first time I step on the brake going in that direction.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
I get that, too, but I thought it was coming from the rear. It happens the first time I press my brakes while backing up.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
RoninTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
RoninTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
its the brake pads. for the most part normal. I've seen alot of tacos do it... depending on your mileage, they could be getting low, but mine always do it when I change directions and the first time I step on the brake going in that direction.
x2
Old 10-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
It's normal, mine do it when I back out of my driveway.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
RichieW13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richie
RichieW13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
This is so crazy. I HATE listening to that clunk. For the first time in my life I spent a lot of money to buy a vehicle, and was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with bad noises and broken crap. So far the Tacoma is not holding up its end on that.

How is clunking brakes just expected to be "normal"? Why can every other vehicle sold avoid this problem?

Has anybody figured out a fix for this?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieW13 View Post
This is so crazy. I HATE listening to that clunk. For the first time in my life I spent a lot of money to buy a vehicle, and was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with bad noises and broken crap. So far the Tacoma is not holding up its end on that.

How is clunking brakes just expected to be "normal"? Why can every other vehicle sold avoid this problem?

Has anybody figured out a fix for this?
Get new pads......

I had the clunk for a good couple years....(or more, can't remember). It would happen mostly when changing direction the first time and applying the brakes.

This past summer, I had my rotors turned and changed the pads...greased pins, new anti-squeel material .... and the clunk is completely gone.

Perhaps this is something that occurs when the pads are getting worn. Mine had about 3/16" of pad left @ 52,000 Miles. I installed OEM brake pads.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
"Not you, fat jesus"
t.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11A
Name: Ted
t.hornstra's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to t.hornstra
I pulled mine off to see what the clunk was, seems to be the rotor.
If you look at the rotor and the holes for the lugs, there's a bit of space. When changing directions, or applying brakes under 30mph the rotor is stopped, but the hub/lugs keep rotating until they knock the other side of lug holes.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.hornstra View Post
I pulled mine off to see what the clunk was, seems to be the rotor.
If you look at the rotor and the holes for the lugs, there's a bit of space. When changing directions, or applying brakes under 30mph the rotor is stopped, but the hub/lugs keep rotating until they knock the other side of lug holes.
Got any picts? Having a hard time thinking of what you're referring to.

If you're saying, the rotor is slipping between the hub & lug nuts in the holes - then you don't have the wheels torqued tight enough (and not even close). I believe the factory torque spec is 85ft lbs. I use 100ft lbs.

The lug nuts are what hold the rotor & wheel tightly to the hub. If there's any slop or play ..it's not tight enough. Unless you're referring to something else.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
When I ordered new pads and rotors and installed them, I heard a bad clunking noise. It ended up being the rotors. The lug holes were 1 mm larger than the rotors I replaced. I returned those and got a new set and the holes were the same size are the originals I replaced. The Noise went away. I torqued the wheels to spec with both sets of rotors.

You can see the extra space with this picture.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to know this is somewhat normal. I've been trying to locate this clunk for the longest time. I used to think it was my lift, but then I realized it was when I used the brake, usually after just having backed up/starting in motion/having the wheels turned, etc.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma View Post
When I ordered new pads and rotors and installed them, I heard a bad clunking noise. It ended up being the rotors. The lug holes were 1 mm larger than the rotors I replaced. I returned those and got a new set and the holes were the same size are the originals I replaced. The Noise went away. I torqued the wheels to spec with both sets of rotors.
Improper parts certainly won't help. !!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #13

If it's the rotor holes like in that picture, would it be possible to make some kind of sleeves to put over the lugs to stop the "clunk"? Or is that just too high stress of an area for something to stay in there?

I bought my Tacoma from a dealership with about 20,000 miles on it. I would assume that the stock rotors are still on there. Could the stock rotors have the wrong size holes?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If it's the rotor holes like in that picture, would it be possible to make some kind of sleeves to put over the lugs to stop the "clunk"? Or is that just too high stress of an area for something to stay in there?
Get the right fitting parts.

Putting sleeves in is like a band-aid.

How many miles on the truck? What do the rotors/pads look like?

I had a clunk - factory rotors and pads with 55k miles on them. I was due for a brake change (only 3/16th material left. I changed my pads and had the rotors turned and no more clunk.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
JTacoma will become famous soon enough

JTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Improper parts certainly won't help. !!
What was odd is that the part numbers of the new set were the same as the ones with the wrong sized holes. The first set must have been packaged incorrectly from the factory.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Get the right fitting parts.

Putting sleeves in is like a band-aid.

How many miles on the truck? What do the rotors/pads look like?

I had a clunk - factory rotors and pads with 55k miles on them. I was due for a brake change (only 3/16th material left. I changed my pads and had the rotors turned and no more clunk.
I'm at 58,000. How would turning the rotors solve the problem of loose lug holes?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
bucksnort06 will become famous soon enough
Name: pete
bucksnort06's Tacoma Gallery
I had a horrible clunk like you describe.. Just replaced pads and rotors last weekend and the clunk is gone..
Old 03-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm at 58,000. How would turning the rotors solve the problem of loose lug holes?
I never said it would.....

The person who mentioned the large lug holes -appears to be uncertain if that's the case. Highly doubtful that stock rotors from the factory would be improperly sized.

Hence - I mentioned that I had a similar clunk as my brakes got older. I changed my pads and had my rotors turned and the clunk went away. I always have my rotors turned when I change pads.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #19

Quote:
I never said it would.....

The person who mentioned the large lug holes -appears to be uncertain if that's the case. Highly doubtful that stock rotors from the factory would be improperly sized.

Hence - I mentioned that I had a similar clunk as my brakes got older. I changed my pads and had my rotors turned and the clunk went away. I always have my rotors turned when I change pads.

Oops. I guess I read too much into your post following the other posts, and inferred that you were also saying the lug holes were too large.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #20
Toyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to behold
Name: Michael
Toyotacerttech's Tacoma Gallery
The noises is cause by the brake pads due to the play that they have on the slide pins and in the caliper. The pads need to be lubed on each end and the noise will go away.