1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interchangable Catalytic Converters?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SgtCraig, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Oct 3, 2012 at 3:01 AM
    SgtCraig

SgtCraig [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Blue springs MO
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD
    Grill Running Boards
    My wife is rockin a 2006 4Runner with the 1GR-FE. It's currently throwing the bad Cat codes and of course we checked with the dealership and it'll cost a lot to replace. My question is, I have a 2011 Tacoma DCLB also with the 4.0.

I was thinking that instead of just replacing her CATS, would I be able to put my CATS from my truck onto her 4Runner? The only way I can justify this is instead of spending 1200 bucks on replacements I could give the 4Runner the ones off of my truck and i'd be able to use that 1200 give or take on the DT Headers/Y Pipe/02 Sim/New Exhaust.

I just want to know if it's possible to go ahead with the swap and start purchasing the equipment from URD.

I'm currently a contractor working in Afghanistan and her next inspection is in Fed 13, so I have until then to make the decision on what I want to do. Thanks for all the input and helping me out guys.

2. Oct 3, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Might want to check the parts catalogs and see if the entire manifold/cat assembly is the same. If it is, you could just remove the manifold/cats and put them on the 4 Runner, instead of just the cats, then move ahead with the headers+ for yours.

Or you could consider hollowing the failing cats out or replacing them with "test" pipes, then put an O2 Sim in. Note that this is not legal, but whether it's an issue depends on your stand and what your local enforcement situation is like.

3. Oct 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    SgtCraig

SgtCraig [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Blue springs MO
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD
    Grill Running Boards
    That's what i'm talking about, the whole exhaust manifold including the Cat. I'd be able to find out in an instant if I were home i'd just have to walk out and check but I can't at the moment. I won't be home until Dec.

I looked at RockAuto and I found the 4Runner and the Exhaust Manifold/Cat is just one piece. I'm not sure about the Tacoma though.

Is there anyone that has a 2011 Tacoma that can check if the Exhaust Manifold on our trucks include the Cat's? I'm not sure if they're all the same or not for the 2005+

RockAuto does have the exhaust manifold including the cats for the 4Runner for around 350 if anyone is interested in that.

4. Oct 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Tacoma manifold/cat is one-piece from at least 2005 on for the 4.0. Just not sure if it's fully interchangable between the Tacoma 4.0 and the 4Runner though. Like I said above, first check would be to verify if part numbers are the same, then it's easy, if their not the same, they still may work though, but I don't know for certain.

If you can't find part numbers online, might get the wifey to call a toyota parts dept and inquire as to the part numbers for the two.

Might also try posting this over in the Performance area, some of those people have 4Runners to.

Products Discussed in

To Top