Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Opinion on green HIDs?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
don't do it

Rode in a car with greens once

cant see SHIT.

and you might as well just call a cop to your house to have him give you a ticket
Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
pbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
pbm317's Tacoma Gallery
Stick to 4300-5000k, there's a reason (highest light output) why the OEM's use that temperature.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #24
tjwomble93 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tate
tjwomble93's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the feedback.. I'll have to look further into the laws and quality. If I can't find some decent green ones I'll probably go with 8000k..

I don't really understand the hostility towards light green but not light blue.. It's just not normal haha
Old 10-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #25
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
It comes down to what's more important to you...the color of your headlights, or being able to see something down the road to avoid hitting it and causing damage to yourself, your car or other people and their property.

8000k is pretty blue...and visibility is impaired. You'll like one of those big Chevy UFO's flying down the highway blinding everybody in their path. I will never go over 6000k, and that's pushing it. 4300k gives you optimum visibility, with a clean white look.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwomble93 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.. I'll have to look further into the laws and quality. If I can't find some decent green ones I'll probably go with 8000k..

I don't really understand the hostility towards light green but not light blue.. It's just not normal haha
Green doesn't give any light output what so ever... So it's just for looks not for functionality... If I was A cop, i'd be pulling motorist over for green, pink, even Blue HIDs...
Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
TW is so subtle on these subjects. I can't tell if people are for or against it!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #28
Twiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant futureTwiostaco has a brilliant future

Name: Austin
Twiostaco's Tacoma Gallery
Booooo don't do it! Don't ruin your visibility and your truck.... Maybe you should trade in your Tacoma and get a Civic. That's the only vehicles around here with obnoxious headlights. If you do decide to post pics so we can flame you!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #29

Honesty if I only wanted functionality I'd be driving a Prius.. And my buddy has 8000k on his truck and his visibility is better than mine.

I'd like to know from people who have actually been in a car with pale green high output headlights.. It seems like most of these statements are subjective
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #30
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have friends with 8000 and 10000k, driven their cars, I drove a car with 6000k for 5 years, and now I have 4300k...all 35 watt ballasts. And I'm telling you, 4300k has the best output. And if you're planning on doing these with reflector housings, be prepared to get some middle fingers.

And comparing your buddies 8000k to your halogens is comparing apples to oranges. Completely different bulb...
Old 10-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #31
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colby
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
They look neat but the output is crappy.

If you do this, get a set just for show.

Also it is a cop magnet.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Honesty if I only wanted functionality I'd be driving a Prius.. And my buddy has 8000k on his truck and his visibility is better than mine.

I'd like to know from people who have actually been in a car with pale green high output headlights.. It seems like most of these statements are subjective
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
don't do it

Rode in a car with greens once

cant see SHIT.

and you might as well just call a cop to your house to have him give you a ticket
those two hours were ridiculous. even he said he never drives that much at night, but we had a way to go.

output is complete shit.
his were 55k greens. doesnt matter if it's "high output". Even if you get a "high output" blacklight, you still cant see shit. Same general concept.

I used to run 8000k's too, even that was bad at night in the rain.

Unless you want a cop magnet, just like everyone else said, just stick to 4300-6000k (I run 6000k's now)

Trust me, the whole "look at how cool my headlights are" thing wears off quick when you need to use them often
Old 10-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #33
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
This is only time I'll ever advise someone to listen to their girlfriend. . .
Old 10-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #34

Well if the output in green bulbs is bad then that'd be stupid to buy, that's why I was asking. Thanks for the info.
But in response to the The Traveler I'd never get halogens.. just HIDs.
I still think a pale green would look good on the right truck. It looked sick on this Monster Energy truck.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #35
Vaquero13 is on a distinguished road
Army: SSG
Vaquero13's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do it I hate that asshole on the road that blinds me with his neon blue headlights
Old 10-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #36
REBELTACO

Yes I've seen it, in fact, a friend of mine is the driver for one of their Chevy 2500's with green and black all over it. The fact is, that's a show car. It's meant to draw attention so you buy their energy drink...and IMHO, it's not practical for a daily driver. If your truck is a show truck, by all means...go for it...but if not, I'd advise against it.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #37
"Some people feel the rain, others just get wet"
HawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
HawaiiTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what u do: go to the retrofit source and by a complete set from them. They have 4300, 5000, and 6000 Kelvin bulbs, all three are optimum. If you really want green than put them in your fogs and do the fog anytime mod to use during the day and for show with your buddies. Don't be the guy that's blinding the heck out of everyone, nobody likes him. Hope this helps
Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #38
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

No, not subjective. People have extensive knowledge of HID's. I've had and been around all different kinds before. Sure 8k seems like better visibility than your stockers, and yea they are brighter. But compare it to a 4300k or 5000k kit and it's no comparison. Green will give terrible output, not only in brightness and the fact it's going to kill your eyes. The more blue and purple you go, the more it fatigues your eyes, and green is just going to look annoying. There are plenty of ways to look "cool" that don't involve reducing the functionality of something as important as headlights. Unless you're making a show truck that's never going to see street use, it's a stupid mod to do.

Not to mention green isn't remotely legal and you're just going to be wasting money. Any HID you put in is going to be technically illegal, however with non-obnoxious colors you generally aren't going to run into any issues. But green, you might as well just pull over and wave down a cop to give you a ticket. 4300k-6000k are always going to be the most ideal. Sure they don't scream "hey look at me!" but they're going to be the most functional for you as a driver and the least annoying to the people you're driving towards. Once you're over 6000k the higher you go you're dramatically losing lumen output.

As far as people being "hostile" as you browse around more you'll see that the majority here are against annoyingly colored HID's and HID's in halogen reflector housings as separate issues. Since you want to get annoying colored onces AND put them in a reflector housing this is the type of reaction you'd get. Frankly I'm surprised the shit storm isn't worse lol.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #39
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
I would never give someone advice to go green HID. Stick to the 4-6000k HID. Do as your girlfriend says. Just don't tell people that she gave you advice not too. If you do, it's all downhill from there lol.