Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Opinion on green HIDs?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #42
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Ask for opinions? on Tacomaworld? no opinions here, only facts. I'm too late to contribute to the kelvin/lumens difference aren't I?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #43
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Ask for opinions? on Tacomaworld? no opinions here, only facts. I'm too late to contribute to the kelvin/lumens difference aren't I?
No, you're always welcomed to put some input
Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #44
brianv3ntura is on a distinguished road
brianv3ntura's Tacoma Gallery
Simply put it. Just no. No no no

If you wanna get technical,we can,but the general idea is bad light output and eye strain.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #45
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
I'll do you one better.

LMAO X2!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #46
tjwomble93 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tate
tjwomble93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
No, not subjective. People have extensive knowledge of HID's. I've had and been around all different kinds before. Sure 8k seems like better visibility than your stockers, and yea they are brighter. But compare it to a 4300k or 5000k kit and it's no comparison. Green will give terrible output, not only in brightness and the fact it's going to kill your eyes. The more blue and purple you go, the more it fatigues your eyes, and green is just going to look annoying. There are plenty of ways to look "cool" that don't involve reducing the functionality of something as important as headlights. Unless you're making a show truck that's never going to see street use, it's a stupid mod to do.

Not to mention green isn't remotely legal and you're just going to be wasting money. Any HID you put in is going to be technically illegal, however with non-obnoxious colors you generally aren't going to run into any issues. But green, you might as well just pull over and wave down a cop to give you a ticket. 4300k-6000k are always going to be the most ideal. Sure they don't scream "hey look at me!" but they're going to be the most functional for you as a driver and the least annoying to the people you're driving towards. Once you're over 6000k the higher you go you're dramatically losing lumen output.

As far as people being "hostile" as you browse around more you'll see that the majority here are against annoyingly colored HID's and HID's in halogen reflector housings as separate issues. Since you want to get annoying colored onces AND put them in a reflector housing this is the type of reaction you'd get. Frankly I'm surprised the shit storm isn't worse lol.
I said MOST. MOST/MANY comments are subjectively negative to the color, not performance. 8k HIDs are a big step up from my stock lights nonetheless, I didn't know about the low output in green lights thats why I asked. Yellow is the most irritating and fatiguing color on eyes. North Carolina restrictions on headlights only apply to red and blue. Annoyance from other drivers for having green lights is ridiculous. There's no mistaking it for a service vehicle. Reflector housings directed down enough don't blind/hurt anyone.

I appreciate the information, but didn't ask for negatively aggressive opinions. Don't mean to sound like a dick but theres a difference between giving opinion and being an antagonist.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #47
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwomble93 View Post
I said MOST. MOST/MANY comments are subjectively negative to the color, not performance. 8k HIDs are a big step up from my stock lights nonetheless, I didn't know about the low output in green lights thats why I asked. Yellow is the most irritating and fatiguing color on eyes. North Carolina restrictions on headlights only apply to red and blue. Annoyance from other drivers for having green lights is ridiculous. There's no mistaking it for a service vehicle. Reflector housings directed down enough don't blind/hurt anyone.

I appreciate the information, but didn't ask for negatively aggressive opinions. Don't mean to sound like a dick but theres a difference between giving opinion and being an antagonist.
You asked for opinions on whether they looked cheap in your OP, so you asked for opinion on their looks, not their performance (at least, not until later). So I don't understand why now you don't like that people are being negative to color?

You asked for what other people thought, you have to take the bad with the good. Some people happen to be very annoyingly attatched to their opinions. To answer your OP, yes, I think they look cheap.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #48
brianv3ntura is on a distinguished road
brianv3ntura's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I said MOST. MOST/MANY comments are subjectively negative to the color, not performance. 8k HIDs are a big step up from my stock lights nonetheless, I didn't know about the low output in green lights thats why I asked. yellow is the most irritating and fatiguing color on eyes. North Carolina restrictions on headlights only apply to red and blue. Annoyance from other drivers for having green lights is ridiculous. There's no mistaking it for a service vehicle. Reflector housings directed down enough don't blind/hurt anyone.

Good god just stop. Idk where you get your information or anything,but the bolded part is all wrong.

As far as negative feedback goes. Don't like it? Don't post.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #49
skeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really nice

Name: Pete
skeeet's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #50
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeet View Post
I know VTEC, and when it kicks in, it is definitely YO!
Please leave VTEC out of this discussion of bad lighting choices.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #51
kurtw is on a distinguished road
kurtw's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions? They look horrible, they function worse than stock, and they cost an assload of money.

I've never seen GOOD HID's on a 2G Taco.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #52
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
I have had cheap HIDs in my stock reflector housing. DDM Tuning brand to be exact. I went with a 5,000k colour and I won't beat a dead horse over colour opinion. I'm sure you're aware now.

My personal experience: The cheap HIDs died in less than 1 year of use, and now I am paying again to put in the proper HIDs in proper projector retrofit housings. The light scatter of the stock reflector housing was complete SHIT. There was absolutely no distinguished cutoff line, and even though I took a lot of time aiming them properly, I would still get flashed every now and then. And not just from small cars, but even full size trucks on occasion.

TL;DR - Pay cheap, pay twice. Go with a projector retrofit right from the get go.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #53
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

8000K HIDs just thrown into the stock Tacoma housing is NOT a big step up from stock... It might look like it because it puts a lot of light on the road directly in front of the vehicle but I'd much rather have higher quality halogen bulbs that put light where you actually need it, down the road...
Old 10-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #54
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

no
Old 10-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #55
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Honesty if I only wanted functionality I'd be driving a Prius.
With this objective and honest statement you, good sir, have won points in my book.

If you like 'em, run 'em. Just adjust your headlights accordingly so as not to blind people on the road. HIDs put out a different light pattern than standard bulbs so you'll likely have to aim your headlights down slightly.

Lower temps are more yellow and have better light output. Higher temps turn more blue and purple but you won't see much down the road.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #56
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The purples and pinks are going to be your most fatiguing generally. Yellow isn't and can actually be useful in the right applications. There's a reason some vehicles come stock with yellow fogs while none come with blue and purples or pinks.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #57
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I was riding around the other day and noticed how many people have blue HIDs. It got me wondering why there weren't other, non-obnoxious, colors. Getting HIDs soon, I was on the lookout and saw a lifted Silverado with some pale green headlights and thought it looked pretty sick. My girlfriend thinks it makes the truck look cheap. What are y'alls opinions? If you have green/different colored headlights on your rig post pics! I'm just looking for something different. My truck's a lifted black/black 07 Tacoma doublecab.
They are HIDeous.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #58
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Guys with plug n play HID's driving towards me.. arrrgh

I just leave my brights on after flashing them and realizing they cheaped out.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #59
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Impractical, illegal, inconsiderate of others, sounds like you're right on track with most of Merica. Keep disregarding everyone and everything as long as you think it looks cool man. You've been told it's illegal, less light output, harmful/dangerous to others and just plain stupid by many who know lighting. Odds are you'll still do whatever you want instead of listening, but whether it was put nicely or not, now you know. Sorry if I sound a bit straight forward but so many people ask what's best then utterly disregard what they're told and do what "looks cool" anyways.

I still love you btw, I just hate inconsiderate choices
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #60

Blue = stupid, no way around it