Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Opinion on green HIDs?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #61
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwomble93 View Post
There's no mistaking it for a service vehicle. Reflector housings directed down enough don't blind/hurt anyone.

t.
Do a little research on "HID glare". Fucking momo's on the road with their plug and play HID's. Theres a reason highways departments around the world are making aftermarket HID's illegal. And its not just to be assholes.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #62
tjwomble93 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tate
tjwomble93's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I expected mature opinions.. But I appreciate the info and that's why I'm not going green. I haven't heard of retrofit housing, I'll have to look deeper. The kit I'm looking at says it comes with digitally regulated ballasts? I'm in no way trying to blind others, I've seen that douchebag. And as for the yellow goes, I called my local DMV and that's what I was told. The info I posted is what I learned through years of bio, so unless my professors have been incorrect...
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #63
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry man, you can't always expect a lot of maturity here. But you can get GREAT information. Check out theretrofitsource.com the TRS guys are awesome with customer service and have a quality product in many options for some custom headlights with amazing output.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #64
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I guess I expected mature opinions.. But I appreciate the info and that's why I'm not going green. I haven't heard of retrofit housing, I'll have to look deeper. The kit I'm looking at says it comes with digitally regulated ballasts? I'm in no way trying to blind others, I've seen that douchebag. And as for the yellow goes, I called my local DMV and that's what I was told. The info I posted is what I learned through years of bio, so unless my professors have been incorrect...
Since you mentioned what your professors taught you, surely you remember ROYGBIV. Red, orange and yellow are easier on the eyes or more noticable to the eyes. Blue, indigo and violets become harder to see and will strain your eyes.

You also have to look at the bulbs themselves. They'll put out the most usable light in the 4300K range. Once you start climbing up the temperature scale, you start to lose usable light.

Lastly, just because HID's create a huge ball of light directly in front of the truck, don't mistake that for usable light. If you stand in front of someone with HID's in a reflector housing, they do seem 'brighter' but it's only because the light is scattered all over the place. If you're ever on a dark highway and come across a high end Lexus, Mercedes or Acura (specifically the LS460, TL, or even the Honda S2000 as all are known to have pretty nice projectors), take notice of the beam pattern they put out. It's very wide, projects out a long ways but has a crisp cut off so as not to blind oncoming traffic. Bulb for bulb, HID's are brighter than halogens but if the light isn't focused where you want it, it will have no benefit and can actually make your lighting situation worse than stock.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #65
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
go for functionality over looks. you don't want to be that douche guy that blinds everyone with bright a** HID's. do it right the first time and you'll never look back.

light out put on my D2S retro.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #66
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
go for functionality over looks. you don't want to be that douche guy that blinds everyone with bright a** HID's. do it right the first time and you'll never look back.

light out put on my D2S retro.

Go for functionality AND looks. Retrofits are sexy lookin
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #68
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wouldn't think it would bother other drivers esp. if they're angled right. Heres a pic I just found.
Angle has nothing to do with plug and play HID's. Using them in stock reflectors is wrong. HID bulbs are not meant to go in stock reflectors because they don't work together. That's why they're so bright and obnoxious to other drivers because the light doesn't vary by height like they do in stock halogens, it is the same light intensity throughout.

If you do HID's, do it right. It's expensive but that's the only way you should go.

Matt
Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #70

Pugga- roygbiv is the visible light spectrum with "white light" being a mixture of all.. Green and yellow are the most similar to white because of contrast. "Technically."
However, if I do choose to get a green light it'd probably just be an LED strip under a 6000k hid. Legal and safe. Whatever I do I'll post pics.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #71
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Dont do it!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #72

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pugga- roygbiv is the visible light spectrum with "white light" being a mixture of all.. Green and yellow are the most similar to white because of contrast. "Technically."
However, if I do choose to get a green light it'd probably just be an LED strip under a 6000k hid. Legal and safe. Whatever I do I'll post pics.
What about projectors with green demon eyes? It's been done in red several times, haven't seen green done yet.

Also, you were awake for the first half of the class but missed the part about which wavelengths of light travel further...
Old 10-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What about projectors with green demon eyes? It's been done in red several times, haven't seen green done yet.

Also, you were awake for the first half of the class but missed the part about which wavelengths of light travel further...
Longer wavelength=less energy(luminous)? I'll admit that class didn't keep my attention :P but I'll definitely have to check those out!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #74

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Longer wavelength=less energy(luminous)? I'll admit that class didn't keep my attention :P but I'll definitely have to check those out!
I'm just giving you a hard time... Check out TheRetrofitSource.com. They're actually running a group buy on their retrofit kits until tomorrow (it's the 10th round so there will be another one in the fairly near future). Search the site for retrofit or retro and you'll find lots of threads on the subject. If you're going to go with HID's, I'd highly recommend going that route. The light pattern you get from their projectors is awesome and they look great as well. Form and Function win-win!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #75
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I haven't heard of retrofit housing.
Refer to adio's signature above. Involves taking your lights a part and installing a proper HID projector. More expensive and more work, but it's the only way to do it and get something that's both the most functional and the least annoying for everyone else on the road.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #76
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
TRS
Old 10-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #77
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember.. next time you have a wine or beer with some dinner and drive home the cops are probably going to have a second look at your with your green HID's.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #78

Hey guys, lights were put on hold due to lift/tires but I've been looking around and think I'm going to go with the Oracle Colorshift 2.0 clear white light on the road but able to change colors.. Still deciding though Heres a the lights on a Tundra yall should check em out!
Attached Thumbnails
Opinion on green HIDs?-tundra-oracle-colorshift.jpg   Opinion on green HIDs?-tundra-oracle-2.jpg  
Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #79
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
PLEASE don't.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...0-hid-faq.html