1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a 2010 Tacoma on Saturday... 2000 miles away

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by b2948kevin, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Oct 4, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    bean66

bean66 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Midwest
    To OP:

I took a look at the add, that dealer ship has been around quite some time here in st louis. But they are a Dodge/Jeep dealer.

As others have said, we have had a couple of pretty mild winters here. I even sold my 4x4 f150 this year and purchased a 2007 tacoma 2wd.

On yours, I'd definately take a good long hard look at the drivers side since the dealer did not take any photos of that. Mainly the drivers side angles. Check to make sure all door panels are aligned etc. If not symmetrical it usually is an indication of a hard life or wreck.

Second, there are some good websites that will give you a run down of what to look for when purchasing: Pull the dip stick look at the oil. is it new? What color is it. Look at the radiator fluids, do you seen any brown tinge to it? Look at the air filter. Make sure its reasonably clean I'd prefer to see a used filter in there vs a brand new one.

Check all mechanical, doors glove box steer brakes etc everything should operate and function. If its 4x4 make sure it engages and disengages with no issues.

Check all electrical, make sure lights and turn signals function. With a vehicle this new shouldn't have any issues, but its best to check.

Also plan on pulling the cabin filter as well, we get some pretty good pollen going here sometimes. So you'll want to pick one up at autozone when you get on the road. Its easy to replace.

In MO the seller is supposed to provide you with a MO state inspection. I'd ask for one because for $40 they will do a basic safety inspection to make sure the vehicle is safe.

2. Oct 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    bean66

bean66 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Midwest
    I'd ask the salesperson to pick you up from the airport!

3. Oct 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    b2948kevin

b2948kevin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Highland, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab Long Bed 4x4 TRD Sport Black
    None yet
    Great suggestions, Bean. I will be doing all of this. Thanks for the list!

4. Oct 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    dibble9012

dibble9012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Agree on not buying new. I don't want to take the depreciation hit either. If you look hard enough you can find a vehicle that is just as good as new, if not better.

5. Oct 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    My buddy and I did something almost identical to this just last week. Flew to Washington D.C. to pick up a 2010 Tacoma and drove it about 2,000 miles back to Colorado. All went well and the deal was worth it. We got to spend some time with my cousin in D.C. and my buddy had never been there so he got to see the sights. Had a great time seeing some states I hadn't yet been to too and ate some AMAZING food along the way. Do your research on the truck, get LOTs of photos and information and do your research on the seller. On such a new truck still under manufacturer warranty it's pretty difficult to go too wrong.

6. Oct 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    RichP

RichP Dedicated Toyota Buyer

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma Access Cab SR5
    OP - I have to give you a lot of credit. I couldn't drop 25 large on a three year old vehicle (even a Tacoma) that's out of warranty without seeing it AND getting a full inspection done by an independent shop. I'd probably relax my requirements first.

And I can TOTALLY relate about how overpriced used Tacomas are here in the PNW. That's one reason why I bought new (and was fortunate to get one of the rare $500 rebates).

Good luck with the trip and the ride home!

7. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    b2948kevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Highland, UT
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    Thanks all! I am boarding a flight out of Seattle in about 10 minutes. I connect in Minnesota and arrive in St. Louis at about 4:30local time. I will let you know how it goes!

8. Oct 5, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
    I almost did this exact same thing but I just waited a little longer...I am from Puyallup and almost flew to PA to pick up a TRD sport. Then I found one right there in Puyallup with the exact specs that I was looking for...hell even a 6sp, and got it for a great price!!

9. Oct 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    When in St Louis check out the arch. Go to the top if you can but not if you're claustrophobic because the tiny little 'pod' elevators they cram you in that rotate as you go up are NOT going to be good for that. Otherwise it's cool to see. Then, on your through Kansas City you must, must, MUST hit up Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. It's a little off of the beaten path in a gas station but it's well worth it. It opens at 11:00am and we can through at 10:58 and they opened up early and there was already a line about 20 people long with about a dozen people already sitting & eating. By the time we got food and sat down the line went the length of the restaurant, turned towards the door, went the length of the restaurant again, out the door and down the sidewalk. This was at about 11:05am. I asked a local if this was normal and she said it was every day. Wow. I saw why too. Order the burnt end sandwich and douse it in the hot BBQ sauce. Possibly some of the best BBQ I've ever had. I think that the original Salt Lick in Brentwood TX may have slightly better brisket but this place is right there with it. This is the best part of road tripping so take advantage of it.

Also, the worst part of road tripping.... make sure you check the I70 pass if you're going to go that way as we've already had a cold front push through and there's been plenty of snow up that way already. Things can get nasty there quickly and as much as I hate to say this you may want to take I80 back West. You can take I70 to I25 (this way you will at least get to see the Rocky Mountains) then north to I80 which is only about a half hour. Than take that West as you won't have to make the pass. If weather is good take I70 as it's a MUCH more scenic view. Better places to stop along the way to eat and stay if you need to too. Post your plans, route and stops here and I'll help where I can. Oh, and pictures! Post pictures!

Good luck!

10. Oct 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    surfkat

surfkat Member

Member:
    First Name:
    allan
    texas
    Vehicle:
    10 sr5 taco,
    3" lift, tinted over back glass equals a 10 and the tint over front windows is a match to the rear side windows
    Sounds like a fun trip, and a great truck, I have a 2010 sr5 4x4 short bed black sand pearl with the v 6 i bought mine 2 months ago it only had 14,000 miles on it and I love this truck good luck and great find.

11. Oct 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    b2948kevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Highland, UT
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    Ostrich, thanks for the suggestions! I am going to map this out and see how I can make this happen. Keep the suggestions coming and I will take and post a bunch of pics on of the trip back.

I just landed in Minneapolis Minnesota where I am connecting to St. Louis in another hour.

It's good to hear the other stories of people doing this. Glad to hear that I'm not the only crazy one out there!

12. Oct 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Try this link, some are above your price but price is always negotiable.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...0&minPrice=15000&showcaseOwnerId=562602&Log=0

13. Oct 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    Ostrichsak

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
  14. Oct 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    Doc4216

Doc4216 Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '14 FJ
    Have a great trip! I did the same thing, just didn't have to fly. Searched for months, had very specific idea of what I wanted. Found it at a dealer a state away, after multiple calls, pictures and conversations with dealers in Charleston, I decided to take the one in NC. Had the dealer meet me half way, traded them my Jeep and brought home the best vehicle I've had! I never looked back! It was the scariest transaction and most exciting at the same time. running mine into the ground or retirement, which ever comes first. I double the request of pictures from your trip home!! Drive safe.

15. Oct 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    b2948kevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Highland, UT
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    Yep, beyond options now :). Just Landed in St. Louis. Updates soon!

16. Oct 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    bean66

bean66 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Midwest
    Good Luck Kevin.

Nice rainy day here in St Louis.

We all want to know are you driving home or flying back?

17. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    b2948kevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Highland, UT
    Vehicle:
    None yet
    Thanks Bean. You're 100 correct :).

Ok, drumroll....

It was exactly what I thought it was. It's awesome, in great shape, all mechanical is in great condition, and I bought it. I will post pics tomorrow, I have to make tracks to get back on schedule now.

Thanks all! This is a huge success!

Also, the dealer said he had another a couple months ago that someone came for AZ to get because of the deal and features. Looks like people are snatching these up from the Midwest.

18. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    Noles1

Noles1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner(gone) ....... 2015 TRD Sport DCLB (now)
    BFG's , wheels , shadow mod ........
    Very :cool:. Glad you found a good one...........

19. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    sweet!!

find out WTF is up with BBQ over there! hahahha

20. Oct 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    bean66

bean66 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Midwest
    Excellent glad to hear you got the vehicle you wanted.

Products Discussed in

To Top