Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Paint Peeling. Anyone else having this issue?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
NRA Benefactor Member
LTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the rough

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
Paint Peeling. Anyone else having this issue?

Was touching up some chips today, used blue painters tape to keep runoff to a min, when I removed it, the tape pulled the paint off the hood.

Anyone have this issue as well? Did Toyota put a bad paint/primer job on the trucks like GM did some time ago? I'm going to the dealer tomorrow and see what they can do to help me.

Here's my truck.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
NRA Benefactor Member
LTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the rough

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
NRA Benefactor Member

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
NRA Benefactor Member

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Holy shat!..

I once heard that if your truck dosent have metal flake in it, it is single stage meaning the paint/clear is mixed and sprayed in one. Metal flake has the clear over the color.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
You buy used?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Holy shat!..

I once heard that if your truck dosent have metal flake in it, it is single stage meaning the paint/clear is mixed and sprayed in one. Metal flake has the clear over the color.
No. That is not what single stage paint is.

Single stage paint is just that paint over a primer. There is no clear coat at all.

I would contact Toyota and have them look at that. The paint should never peel off using painters blue tape.

It looks like that hood was replaced and painted by a shop. They didn't prep it correctly.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
NRA Benefactor Member

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
Bought it brand new. In fact, the dealerordered it for me. When I arrived at the lot, they didn't even have a window sticker on it.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think dealer is going to do shit for you on an 07. That sux. Sorry man
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I had the exact same thing on a Ford Explorer - blue painters tape, chip repair, paint flakes - exactly the same. Very weird - I was never able to get an answer from the dealer. I had to get the whole hood repainted.
Sorry, no help here.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #11
It seemed like a good idea at the time...
RickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Retired
RickG's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to RickG
Sure looks like defective prep, or incompatible products. I had an F250 that Ford repainted for a similar problem, but it was a bit newer that 5 years old at the time though.

Good luck with the dealer; I hope they're willing to work with you.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #12
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTE View Post
Bought it brand new. In fact, the dealerordered it for me. When I arrived at the lot, they didn't even have a window sticker on it.
suspicious...and illegal

the "Monroney Sticker" is required to be on the vehicle from the factory. It is not applied to the vehicle by the dealership.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
suspicious...and illegal

the "Monroney Sticker" is required to be on the vehicle from the factory. It is not applied to the vehicle by the dealership.
What??? I may not know what the rules are in your neck of the woods, but to me sounds like this;

He ordered the truck, what sounds like NEW, so the dealer prepped it to be driven away, hence removed factory stickers. It wasn't a truck sitting in the lot.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
NRA Benefactor Member

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
Got back from the dealer...and they told me they can do nothing for me.

Called corporate and they said I was out of warrenty, and even if I was in warranty, they wouldn't do anything because I put tape on the hood!

The dealer bodyshop agreed with me that the tape should not have pulled the paint off.

Right now I'm looking at over $600 for a painting the hood. I'm getting more quotes over the next few days and making alot more phone calls and letter writing.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to hear that. I figured as much..
respectfully, I think writing toyota is going to be a wast of time, although it might make you feel better. Might be best to just bite the bullet.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
I really want a white taco but this is definitely making me nervous.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
It isn't the color that made this happen...
Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
have this problem on my roof a few scratchs down to the metal turned into a really big paint peeling mess, guessing rust got under the paint and fucked it all up. I didnt notice it till it was to late so I just spray painted over it lol
Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
What is the most durable paint on the Tacomas then?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy27 View Post
I really want a white taco but this is definitely making me nervous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy27 View Post
What is the most durable paint on the Tacomas then?
I don't think any of them are all that great.