Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Put money into the truck... or buy an ATV...

View Poll Results: ATV or Mods
Mods 21 26.92%
Can-am 800 57 73.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #21
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
The one with the most toys at the end of life wins.
what does he win?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #22
5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously
tacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
i'd get the atv, just not a can-am lol.... what are you gonna use more or enjoy more?
This. Honda and Yamaha are the only way to go
Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
diesel30 is on a distinguished road

diesel30's Tacoma Gallery
go with the quad. I would look for a can-am outlander 800 xxc. The Honda and Grizzly are decent but won't compare to this on the trails. Absolutely bad ass utility quad. Pending on how much you want to spend look for one with the eps. After 40 miles of fast riding on the trails you'll thank me for it. Also, you could probably get a street title for it as well up there in BC.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quad if you still have a season left on your tires. I have a 08 Polaris sportsman 800 and it's freakin awesome. I've had my eye on that can am too... I'm sure it will take you anywhere you need to go
Old 10-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #25
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
buy an ATV ONLY IF you have someone to ride with. not much fun buy your self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoftw View Post
this, but can amís are really good. have A LOT more power and good parts. everyone i have talked to that has a can am loves it and has not one complaint.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
halfway72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhalfway72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhalfway72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhalfway72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhalfway72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhalfway72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhalfway72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhalfway72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhalfway72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhalfway72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhalfway72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
halfway72's Tacoma Gallery
I've had that same question rolling through my mind. Just recently added two other options quit my job or pay off my school loans lol.

But if I were to get a quad rumor has it KTM makes a sick 400 and I'm a fan of them. Use to ride their dirtbikes
Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #27
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #28
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoftw View Post

Honda makes great generators and power washers. Their quads are nothing to write home about.

I am a Yamaha fan, but a Can Am will run circles around any Yamaha all day long...

I've been wanting a Renegade 800 or 1000 for awhile now, but I'm forcing myself to wait until I am completely debt free, have cash to pay for it, and have a garage to put it in.

Post up pics when you get it!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #29
tacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
buy an ATV ONLY IF you have someone to ride with. not much fun buy your self.
THIS
Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #30

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
and im more referring to reliability and the fact that parts are cheap, although ill admit i know nothing about utility atvs, i just ride 450's

love my trx450r though its never given me any problems whatsoever
Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #32
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
Honda makes great generators and power washers. Their quads are nothing to write home about.

I am a Yamaha fan, but a Can Am will run circles around any Yamaha all day long...

I've been wanting a Renegade 800 or 1000 for awhile now, but I'm forcing myself to wait until I am completely debt free, have cash to pay for it, and have a garage to put it in.

Post up pics when you get it!
the honda recon and rangerís are VERY VERY good atvís. we have a í03 recon that has been flipped like 4 times, crashed into a fence/gate a few times. 80% of the time iím on it iím bouncing off the rev limiter, or right under it. i have jumped it 100ís of times. not one thing wrong with it or even bent! i have flipped the Ď04 rancher 2 times since í08 when we got it and i have jumped it many times, nothing wrong with it either. honda makes some very tough ATVíS now yes i agree power wise they are lacking a bit compared to some other brands.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tacoma View Post
I actually only have one friend with an atv... Didn't really think that through. As much as I would love a quad I think I'm just going to buy a few accessories and save the rest. Then down the road when I'm out of school and back working again I'll buy one.
good call man! i know a bunch that ride. and my dad likes to ride. we first got an í03 honda recon, since than have got a rancher and a rhino. just so we all can go. just one or 2 people itís kinda boring, can also be very unsafe. if you are in the mountains or even desert and crash and are by your self and hurt, you are fucked! if you have a friend/buddy and crash and get hurt you have a better chance of getting out faster. weather he/she gets you out or they call 911.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #34
spartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Trevor
spartanhockey6's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Yamaha Grizzly 350 and that thing will go absolutely anywhere. My step dads 450 performs even better with Low4wd and a Locker haha. I'd get the ATV assuming you have the time and people to ride with.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #35
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I had a 400 ex and loved it. My friend bought his at the same time/place and we rode the hell out of them, that is until he had to move out of state for his job. Then mine set for about a year with me only getting it out to run it from time to time so the carb wouldn't gunk up. Finally sold it due to none use and needing the $. Point is get it if you plan to use it and preferably if you have someone to ride with.
I bought mine because everyone else had one and I was able to afford my own. I used it every weekend for about 6 months then every other weekend or so for another year. Well now no one goes much. My one friend does go often but usually 3+ hours away since he has a toy hauler. It mostly sat in the garage and I would start it every other week and ride it around the block once a month. Now it is in storage in a different city. Riding season is here but I'm just eh about riding. At least I paid it off after a year and a half but that's 8K just sitting there. I would rather be in a side by side.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #36
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
The atv and mods for the atv. That should be an option too.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #37
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
If you have places to ride I would get the ATV. Were I live in Jersey there zero places to ride legally. I had to sell my CRF 250F back in 07 or risk getting fined and possibly having my bike impounded. Gotta love the great state of NJ.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #38
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tacoma View Post
So Iv got some spending money and I cant decide whether to buy new wheels, tires and some other stuff or buy a used Can Am 800.

Winters just around the corner and it would be nice to have an atv for playing in the snow. But at the same time would be nice to have new tires.

My tires have lots of life left on them as it is and will easily last another season or two and the other mods would be sweet, but purely for looks.

What would you do? Quad or Mods?
4-wheeler can go many many more places than even the most heavily modded truck. Their very very simple advantage is their size. They are also one of the most useful tools out there, however, they SUCK in the snow. In the snow, you have two choices; a snowmobile, or snowshoes.

So I say go ATV, just not a Crap AM (bombardier/brp/skidoo). In fact, just avoid all north american brands, they're just plasticy trash and do NOT stand up to any kind of serious use. Pick YAMAHA, HONDA, SUZUKI, etc.

And something to be aware of regarding 4-wheelers and engine size: they advertise with the big engine displacement, but the physics of the things really puts your performance limits at about 400-450 cc. Any bigger than that and you really don't gain anything except weight. An 800 might top end about 5 km/h higher than a 400. My buddy has a 700, he CANNOT keep up with me except in a straight line, and its not him, its the weight of the machine, when we switch machines I can't keep up with him. The lighter machines are WAY better on the trails.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #39
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel30 View Post
go with the quad. I would look for a can-am outlander 800 xxc. The Honda and Grizzly are decent but won't compare to this on the trails. Absolutely bad ass utility quad. Pending on how much you want to spend look for one with the eps. After 40 miles of fast riding on the trails you'll thank me for it. Also, you could probably get a street title for it as well up there in BC.

Only buy as above if you enjoy being dragged out by a Yamaha
Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #40
Banned
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
this, but can amís are really crap. have A LOT more fuel consumption and bad parts. everyone i have talked to that has a can am hates it and has not one complaint or they would lose the privilege of being pulled out of the bush by a real ATV.
FIFY