Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Put money into the truck... or buy an ATV...

View Poll Results: ATV or Mods
Mods 21 26.92%
Can-am 800 57 73.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #41
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tacoma View Post
I actually only have one friend with an atv... Didn't really think that through. As much as I would love a quad I think I'm just going to buy a few accessories and save the rest. Then down the road when I'm out of school and back working again I'll buy one.
You're in skhoul still? You don't have anything you can call "spending money". You need to save up for a down payment on a house!!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #42
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Why not get an older, less expensive ATV. Instead of blowing a ton of money on something big and flashy, get a used toy for some fun and save enough money to get tires soon. I'm with shemp on the Yamaha btw my vote is keep an eye out for an older, used, well-kept, cheap Yamaha and then you don't have to worry about damaging it when you go and act a fool.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #43
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
A 4-wheeler is nothing to write home about either way. Its a machine. A tool on 4 wheels that drives in rough terrain and probably pulls a pretty good load while doing so. In this application, your objectives are versatility and reliability, not horsepower, not flashy glitz. You need to pick the one that will NOT need to be dragged out of the bush.

I've pulled EVERY north american brand of 4-wheeler out of the bush with my 2000 Yamaha. I've NEVER been pulled out, or pulled any Japanese 4-wheeler out (only assisted getting unstuck, 4-feet of soupy mud will stuck anything driven by an imbicile). Total maintenance on it since brand new is as follows; 2 sets of tires, 1 set of brakes, 2 batteries, 2 oil changes, 2 headlight bulbs, 1 winch (stripped the ring gear off the original pulling a FORD off the lake in the winter).

We know your opinion now, Yamaha>*. Yamahas also never get stuck and always pull other brands out. I have only owned 2 atv's in my life, both are Yamahas. I agree maintenance was very low.

The OP wants a Renegade for a reason, he wants an ATV with cojones. He wants something with HP. More hp = greater chance to break stuff.

Yamaha also doesn't make a sport 4x4. The only competition is Polaris' new scrambler.

Different riders, riding styles, and locations call for a different type of atv. If you're on a farm, a Honda would probably be perfect not a Renegade...
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #44
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
saving it not an option?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #45
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
Honda makes great generators and power washers. Their quads are nothing to write home about.

I am a Yamaha fan, but a Can Am will run circles around any Yamaha all day long...

I've been wanting a Renegade 800 or 1000 for awhile now, but I'm forcing myself to wait until I am completely debt free, have cash to pay for it, and have a garage to put it in.

Post up pics when you get it!
I passed two brand new Can-Am 800's on my Honda on the trail.. they were over heated and the owners were down in the river gettting water. Suckas!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #46
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapcinq View Post
I passed two brand new Can-Am 800's on my Honda on the trail.. they were over heated and the owners were down in the river gettting water. Suckas!
Haha! Yeah both my bikes were air cooled, and i made it a point to give my liquid cooled buddies hell when we had to stop and clean radiators because they were getting hot.

Thats definitely a drawback in mud or dusty areas
Old 10-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #47
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haha! Yeah both my bikes were air cooled, and i made it a point to give my liquid cooled buddies hell when we had to stop and clean radiators because they were getting hot.

Agreed, it was really dusty that day. Can-Ams do look nice, but id probably kill myself with all that power. Ive been riding Polaris 335's and Honda 420's my whole life.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #48
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Get the quad!!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #49
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We know your opinion now, Yamaha>*. Yamahas also never get stuck and always pull other brands out. I have only owned 2 atv's in my life, both are Yamahas. I agree maintenance was very low.
The only thing I said about getting STUCK was a Yamaha that was stuck. You can't get stuck if you blow up before getting to the mud...

Quote:
The OP wants a Renegade for a reason, he wants an ATV with cojones.
I don't care if you put a V8 in there, NO APPRECIABLE DIFFERENCE. Its pure bragging rights, nothing more. Only reason OP might want one of those worthless trashpiles is if he is ill informed.

Quote:
He wants something with HP. More hp = greater chance to break stuff.
That's true.

Quote:
Yamaha also doesn't make a sport 4x4.
"Sport" and "4x4" do not belong in the same sentence, even if some manufacturers pretend to make such.

Quote:
The only competition is Polaris' new scrambler.
HAHAHAHAHA A POO, competition for what?

Quote:
Different riders, riding styles, and locations call for a different type of atv.
Yep, some riders LIKE to break down and get dragged out. Others like their machine to actually WORK.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #50
Banned
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My 400 Yamaha is LC, but SOOOO well cooled that the electric fan NEVER goes on. Literally. I got worried a few years ago because of this, and carefully tested the [electric fan] thermostat and fan. Both 100% working within spec. Even dragging a huge trailer in low range on a hot summer day with the rad fins half filled with mud. Engine = god-like.

I don't think it actually needs the radiator fins to cool adequately. I think the surface area of the engine is enough by itself.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
My 400 Yamaha is LC, but SOOOO well cooled that the electric fan NEVER goes on. Literally. I got worried a few years ago because of this, and carefully tested the [electric fan] thermostat and fan. Both 100% working within spec. Even dragging a huge trailer in low range on a hot summer day with the rad fins half filled with mud. Engine = god-like.

I don't think it actually needs the radiator fins to cool adequately. I think the surface area of the engine is enough by itself.
It's easy to cool a single cylinder engine that makes less than 28 hp.

Not so easy for a v twin making 70+hp.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #52
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
But he still dies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
The one with the most toys at the end of life wins.
If you can afford it, get an ATV. I am more willing to thrash the quad than the truck anyday.