1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARE Z Series Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by usadventure, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Oct 4, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    usadventure

usadventure [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB V6 TRD Off Road MGM
    Getting a topper for my 2013 DCSB OR MGM and after looking at many and reading a lot of threads leaning towards an ARE Z with frameless side windows, fold down front, remote lock and Yakima rails.

Please help with a few questions:

- Are you happy with the shell? Do you wish you went with another brand or model?
    - Any options you wish you had or found to be a waste of money?
    - Does the front window slider of the topper line up with the cab's rear window slider?

Feel free to show off photos of your truck!
    Thanks for your help!

2. Oct 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    i have one on my 2011 sport and ill say i wish i had ordered the tilt window in the front of it for washing the windows. otherwise its a good well made unit. no complaints

3. Oct 5, 2012 at 3:37 AM
    usadventure

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. How do you wash the windows if you don't get the tilt window? Seems like it should be standard!

4. Oct 5, 2012 at 4:08 AM
    Bookin

Bookin Well-Known Member

Member:
    You have to unbolt it and slide it back to access the window.

5. Oct 5, 2012 at 4:11 AM
    Dave333

Dave333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    I have the same exact set up as you minus the Yakima rails. I opted not to get them because they cannot carry any weight except for a bike and that's what the beds for. It's more for looks.

I love mine. Looks great, fit was nice and really compliments the truck.

6. Oct 5, 2012 at 4:21 AM
    RadSurfTaco

RadSurfTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In Ocean or My Taco...trolling up & down Hwy 1
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner MGM DC SB
    Hey bud, I went through what you are going through now. You can check my thread here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/225461-topper.html

Basically, I have different needs than you. I like the frame-less windows for looks but I have dogs so I need to be able to slide them open and they love the screens and air. If I didn't get the normal slide windows, I would have gotten the fold down windoors for the side as well (strictly because I load up my bed a lot and it would be nice to be able to open the window and grab things near the back). For looks, the frameless hands down.

I just got my topper and drove almost 4k miles across the US. I have the Yakima rack system with a Thule surfboard lockable rack. Didn't leak at all despite driving through hurricane downpours are the time and I had tons of valuable stuff in the back (paintings, art, etc).

The ARE Topper is killer. I have no regrets on my choice at all. I did my research and looked at the toppers at the different dealers in person (SnugTop was not on the list because of the amount of time it took from order to delivery). Not all toppers are built the same, not all paint is the same and not all the fit and finish is the same. My second choice was the LEER brand but they had 2 draw backs as far as I was concerned. 1 was the amount of people who made posts about the paint but then as I went out and looked at used toppers, sure enough, the LEER's had way more paint problems than the ARE (fading, cracking/crazing, etc). Then, the second was the LEER dealer in my area was a total douche. I wouldn't give him the gum off the bottom of my shoe, let alone a big money purchase like that.

The other things I like about the features are the fold down rear windoor. I used this several times during my trip and 'yes' it lines up with the Tacoma back window (pretty damn close). Other toppers did NOT line up well. I also really like the slam latch instead of the twist knob and if I had the extra money I would have gotten the remote entry too. I had the twist knob on my Gen 1 and even though I liked the old topper, the new design is way better. The carpet is awesome and I also got one of those hanger doodads which has been used for a lot more than just hanging clothes from it. It's also great because you can't open/steal the gate with the back window closed and locked (well not easily, one could break it but then again they could just break the windows so...).

In retrospect I remember thinking I might have regrets with the purchase but I can honestly say I don't have one. Good luck with your purchase!

7. Oct 5, 2012 at 6:19 AM
    usadventure

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Great comments, guys! This is all great information and you're validating my choice! The thread below was also very helpful.

Regarding the Yakima rails, would 2 bikes and a Yakima large storage box be too much weight?

Also, what length crossbars did you go with?

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top