Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ARE Z Series Questions

Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
usadventure is on a distinguished road
usadventure's Tacoma Gallery
ARE Z Series Questions

Getting a topper for my 2013 DCSB OR MGM and after looking at many and reading a lot of threads leaning towards an ARE Z with frameless side windows, fold down front, remote lock and Yakima rails.

Please help with a few questions:

- Are you happy with the shell? Do you wish you went with another brand or model?
- Any options you wish you had or found to be a waste of money?
- Does the front window slider of the topper line up with the cab's rear window slider?

Feel free to show off photos of your truck!
Thanks for your help!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
i have one on my 2011 sport and ill say i wish i had ordered the tilt window in the front of it for washing the windows. otherwise its a good well made unit. no complaints
Old 10-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
Thanks. How do you wash the windows if you don't get the tilt window? Seems like it should be standard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer5000 View Post
i have one on my 2011 sport and ill say i wish i had ordered the tilt window in the front of it for washing the windows. otherwise its a good well made unit. no complaints
Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
Bookin is on a distinguished road

Bookin's Tacoma Gallery
You have to unbolt it and slide it back to access the window.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
Dave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 3rd SFG
Name: Dave
Dave333's Tacoma Gallery
Love it.

I have the same exact set up as you minus the Yakima rails. I opted not to get them because they cannot carry any weight except for a bike and that's what the beds for. It's more for looks.

I love mine. Looks great, fit was nice and really compliments the truck.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
RadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
RadSurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey bud, I went through what you are going through now. You can check my thread here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...61-topper.html

Basically, I have different needs than you. I like the frame-less windows for looks but I have dogs so I need to be able to slide them open and they love the screens and air. If I didn't get the normal slide windows, I would have gotten the fold down windoors for the side as well (strictly because I load up my bed a lot and it would be nice to be able to open the window and grab things near the back). For looks, the frameless hands down.

I just got my topper and drove almost 4k miles across the US. I have the Yakima rack system with a Thule surfboard lockable rack. Didn't leak at all despite driving through hurricane downpours are the time and I had tons of valuable stuff in the back (paintings, art, etc).

The ARE Topper is killer. I have no regrets on my choice at all. I did my research and looked at the toppers at the different dealers in person (SnugTop was not on the list because of the amount of time it took from order to delivery). Not all toppers are built the same, not all paint is the same and not all the fit and finish is the same. My second choice was the LEER brand but they had 2 draw backs as far as I was concerned. 1 was the amount of people who made posts about the paint but then as I went out and looked at used toppers, sure enough, the LEER's had way more paint problems than the ARE (fading, cracking/crazing, etc). Then, the second was the LEER dealer in my area was a total douche. I wouldn't give him the gum off the bottom of my shoe, let alone a big money purchase like that.

The other things I like about the features are the fold down rear windoor. I used this several times during my trip and 'yes' it lines up with the Tacoma back window (pretty damn close). Other toppers did NOT line up well. I also really like the slam latch instead of the twist knob and if I had the extra money I would have gotten the remote entry too. I had the twist knob on my Gen 1 and even though I liked the old topper, the new design is way better. The carpet is awesome and I also got one of those hanger doodads which has been used for a lot more than just hanging clothes from it. It's also great because you can't open/steal the gate with the back window closed and locked (well not easily, one could break it but then again they could just break the windows so...).

In retrospect I remember thinking I might have regrets with the purchase but I can honestly say I don't have one. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Great comments, guys! This is all great information and you're validating my choice! The thread below was also very helpful.

Regarding the Yakima rails, would 2 bikes and a Yakima large storage box be too much weight?

Also, what length crossbars did you go with?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSurfTaco View Post
Hey bud, I went through what you are going through now. You can check my thread here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...61-topper.html