Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OME Question

Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Question OME Question

How is the ride with 886's? I plan on putting on an ARB bumper and a winch, but that'll probably come after the lift (and I don't feel like having to buy another set of springs). Thoughts? Anyone have this experience?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
All the OME springs are in fact the same rate, just different free lengths. Ride with an ARB bumper and winch will be the same as with 885s, you would just sit lower with 885s.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Uh, no.

886 is higher spring rate than 885.

What you say is true of 884 vs. 885.

To the original poster, is this for a V6 double cab? How long until you get the bumper and winch?

Pretty sure folks on TW have done this, but can't think of any specific members.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
I have 886's and just an ARB, no winch. The ride is good, could be a little better but more weight should help that.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
i have 886x's with no armor of any kind and removed the sway bar(not that it has that much affect on the ride, but thats my setup)
i have a DCSB '11

its not bad, if you hit a BIG pot hole or speed bump at speed, theres a jolt that you can feel but its not like riding an old go kart with no suspension where you are feeling it in your kidneys.

i will eventually have full skids, bumper/winch, sliders, rear plate bumper and a camper shell on the truck, so i bought my suspension accordingly.

even if the bumper/winch for you doesnt come for a couple of months, id still go with 886x's
Old 10-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Uh, no.

886 is higher spring rate than 885.

What you say is true of 884 vs. 885.

To the original poster, is this for a V6 double cab? How long until you get the bumper and winch?

Pretty sure folks on TW have done this, but can't think of any specific members.
I'm in a v6 DCLB
Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
MOλΩN λABE

xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3187 View Post
i have 886x's with no armor of any kind and removed the sway bar(not that it has that much affect on the ride, but thats my setup)
i have a DCSB '11

its not bad, if you hit a BIG pot hole or speed bump at speed, theres a jolt that you can feel but its not like riding an old go kart with no suspension where you are feeling it in your kidneys.

i will eventually have full skids, bumper/winch, sliders, rear plate bumper and a camper shell on the truck, so i bought my suspension accordingly.

even if the bumper/winch for you doesnt come for a couple of months, id still go with 886x's
Thank you!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
MOλΩN λABE

xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
So would y'all recommend getting a bumper (ARB) or suspension upgrade first? Probably a six month gap between getting the other
Old 10-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Ran 885s without a bumper, loved the ride. Ran 885s with just a bumper and no winch, loved the ride more. Put a winch with the 885s and the ride sucked. Swapped for 886s with bumper & winch, awwwwyeah.jpg
Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
You could run the ARB on stock suspension, I think it weighs 150 Lbs roughly. With the bumper the front sagged around 1/2" add a winch total sag was about 7/8" with 885s. Idk how it would hold up on stock suspension.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
MOλΩN λABE

xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
You could run the ARB on stock suspension, I think it weighs 150 Lbs roughly. With the bumper the front sagged around 1/2" add a winch total sag was about 7/8" with 885s. Idk how it would hold up on stock suspension.
So it sags 1/2" on stock bumper with an ARB?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I had 885s, idk about stock suspension.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan on getting an ARB, then get the 886s from the get go. It will be more of an headache trying to swap out the 885s for 886s when its time to put the ARB bumper on. 886s will create a stiffer ride without the bumper, but that's due to the high spring rate.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaqori View Post
So it sags 1/2" on stock bumper with an ARB?
^^^ I think you meant stock suspension, not bumper.

If you want to see how much the additional weight of the bumper will deflect your current suspension:
  1. Measure
  2. Determine the weight of the new bumper
  3. Find a person of roughly that weight
  4. Have that person perch on the front of your truck
  5. Measure and subtract
Use the same process to approximate the sag of a new bumper + winch. If you can safely attach the correct weight to the front of the truck, you could also take a test drive to see how the additional weight affects your current suspension while underway.