Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

27F CCA rating for toyota canada/johnson controls

Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
27F CCA rating for toyota canada/johnson controls

The tag went missing off my OE toyota battery, and I cant remember the CCA rating. Its the Toyota Canada / Johnson controls 27F. Trying to load test it accurately, if anyone can help I would be very appreciative.

On a side note, I will eventually be installing a group 31 top stud commercial battery, found out tonight it will fit with some relativly minor modifications to the hold downs and cables. The results of the load test will determine the urgency. The benefits are: a lot more battery, for a lot less $$, and dual purpose ( cross between a starting battery and a deep cycle ) are available.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

N. E. Buddy?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
give me a sec..check my 06
Old 10-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bam 27F CCA rating for toyota canada/johnson controls-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349488556.436640.jpg
Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
The tag went missing off my OE toyota battery, and I cant remember the CCA rating. Its the Toyota Canada / Johnson controls 27F. Trying to load test it accurately, if anyone can help I would be very appreciative.

On a side note, I will eventually be installing a group 31 top stud commercial battery, found out tonight it will fit with some relativly minor modifications to the hold downs and cables. The results of the load test will determine the urgency. The benefits are: a lot more battery, for a lot less $$, and dual purpose ( cross between a starting battery and a deep cycle ) are available.
I can check mine, but I doubt it has the exact same specs as yours, but it doesn't really matter. If that's the original battery from MY2006, it's toast. I wouldn't wait for it to fail because it's got to be very close right now.

I put a single Group 31 in my camper a few months ago. That's a honkin' big battery! IIRC, I paid around USD$90 for one from Walmart.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Thanks mucho! That means my current battery fails the load test, even though still starting fine. Still tests at 575 CCA though, could probably get through the winter, might try if I didn't plan to go hunting in remote areas. Group 31, here I come. Time to build a new hold down bolt and one longer cable to the power distribution box.

Its about 1" taller, and 1" longer, but fits in the tray fine. I got this one free, but we pay 90ish for quality ones through my work. It will pay off when I get around to installing my winch too.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
surprised your battery is still kicking with your brutal winters..

mine passed load testing about a year ago. i am keeping an eye on it..it is approaching 7 years old..not bad for a stocker. but i live in a country club for batteries, weather-wise.

your welcome!!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
can you load test a battery with a multimeter?

or do you have a load tester?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks mucho! That means my current battery fails the load test, even though still starting fine. Still tests at 575 CCA though, could probably get through the winter, might try if I didn't plan to go hunting in remote areas. Group 31, here I come. Time to build a new hold down bolt and one longer cable to the power distribution box.

Its about 1" taller, and 1" longer, but fits in the tray fine. I got this one free, but we pay 90ish for quality ones through my work. It will pay off when I get around to installing my winch too.
I'm surprised it tests that high. I'd rather not try to eek out an additional season with an geriatric battery. It's not worth the minimal savings, IMO.

IIRC, SLA batteries generally fail at around five years, and OEM batteries are often compromised by weight and cost savings, leading to a shorter lifespan. With modern, easy starting engines like ours, every time I've had a battery fail, there's been little to no advance notice. The battery manages to spin the engine enough to fire quickly, so there's no tell tale slow cranking leading up to the failure.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
can you load test a battery with a multimeter?

or do you have a load tester?
I have a capacitance battery tester, googe OTC 3183 for more info. No, a multimeter alone will not suffice.

I keep my battery terminals clean and electrolyte topped of with distilled water as needed, and never run my batteries down, which all helps with life. Maybe a good dose of luck too? My previous vehicle was a '96 civic, I replaced the OE delco at 11 years old, still started OK, but it too failed load testing. I won't be pushing my limits with this one when I have that almost new G31 sitting in my shop waiting for a home.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #11

Quote:
I have a capacitance battery tester, googe OTC 3183 for more info. No, a multimeter alone will not suffice.

I keep my battery terminals clean and electrolyte topped of with distilled water as needed, and never run my batteries down, which all helps with life. Maybe a good dose of luck too? My previous vehicle was a '96 civic, I replaced the OE delco at 11 years old, still started OK, but it too failed load testing. I won't be pushing my limits with this one when I have that almost new G31 sitting in my shop waiting for a home.
I'd like one, but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. Good looking tool, though.

The crusty old dude at my local battery shop said Honda has always hasd pretty good OEM batteries, but 11 years is impressive for any automotive battery.