Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Grabby clutch when cold

Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
hpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manie
hpvds's Tacoma Gallery
Grabby clutch when cold

Recently I have been noticing that when the engine (and tranny) are cold, my clutch is really grabby (for the first minute or so of driving), usually for the first and second time I pull away where I either have to let the clutch slip a lot more than normal or give quite a bit more gas than normal to avoid going hopping down the street like someone driving a stick shift for the first time. I also notice that the colder it is outside (80F day vs 40F morning) the "grabbyness" is much more severe.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is it normal or a sign of some impending failure of something in the transmission or is there something that should be adjusted with the clutch.

It seems like when cold, full disengagement might not be occurring when I have the clutch down, Is it possible that the hydraulic fluid may be contaminated causing it to either become "compressible" or affected by temperature changing causing the fluids density to change.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
If you suspect that its the fluid, you definitely should replace it. Its a fairly simple job, and inexpensive.

Now grabbiness when cold. You sure the clutch is actually grabbing harder and it isn't just that the engine is spinning faster while its still cold? Try letting it idle for a couple of minutes for the idle to settle down to its normal spot.

Also be aware that the colder it is, the "thicker" the various fluids in the system will be, that means, in particular, the lubricants on the clutch pedal lever, the levers down under the truck, and the lubricant on the shaft where the throwout bearing slides. The thicker these lubricants are, the less you will tend to feel as the clutch engages - it could simply be a matter of your perception.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

charles08tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My clutch grabs & shudders on take off when cold. Once warm, it goes away. Dealer has told me this is normal & just give it a little more gas when letting the clutch out when cold.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
hpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manie
hpvds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
Mine is grabby until it warms up too. It's been doing it for a while now but it seems normal.

Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one and that its not a sign that the transmission is on its way to doing something bad+expensive
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
Yup same here.............chatters a bit on same instances as you guys. There are a couple TSBs about clutch chattering. I guess the LUK clutches and plates kinda suck so Aisn(sp) are put in I think.

It goes away quickly enough for me though so I dont stress it. When the clutch does go though which is ineveitable I am gonna for sure look into upgrading and doing research on the right parts to get to avoid this issue.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD6Speed View Post
Yup same here.............chatters a bit on same instances as you guys. There are a couple TSBs about clutch chattering. I guess the LUK clutches and plates kinda suck so Aisn(sp) are put in I think.

It goes away quickly enough for me though so I dont stress it. When the clutch does go though which is ineveitable I am gonna for sure look into upgrading and doing research on the right parts to get to avoid this issue.
The "chatter" TSBs are referring to SOUND. Tranny in neutral, clutch engaged, engine idling... does it make a "chatter" sound? If yes, replace with AISIN DTX-189 friction disk (in the case of a 4-cyl), and if pressure plate is LUK, replace with AISIN CTX-106, otherwise reuse existing pressure plate . Existing friction disk is either LUK or an AISIN DTX-137.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
mine is grabby too. i think of "hot spots" on the flywheel or clutch surface that are probably glazed over from overheating. that is the WORST thing it could be and in my case is quite liveable untill i wear all the friction material away and have to replace.

i stunk my clutch up once. . . . or twice if i glazed it, i deserve it