1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grabby clutch when cold

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hpvds, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    hpvds

hpvds [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manie
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 4x4 Doublecab
    Ironman 4x4 FCP lift, ARB bumper, NL Dual bats, Skids and sliders
    Recently I have been noticing that when the engine (and tranny) are cold, my clutch is really grabby (for the first minute or so of driving), usually for the first and second time I pull away where I either have to let the clutch slip a lot more than normal or give quite a bit more gas than normal to avoid going hopping down the street like someone driving a stick shift for the first time. I also notice that the colder it is outside (80ºF day vs 40ºF morning) the "grabbyness" is much more severe.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is it normal or a sign of some impending failure of something in the transmission or is there something that should be adjusted with the clutch.

It seems like when cold, full disengagement might not be occurring when I have the clutch down, Is it possible that the hydraulic fluid may be contaminated causing it to either become "compressible" or affected by temperature changing causing the fluids density to change.

2. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you suspect that its the fluid, you definitely should replace it. Its a fairly simple job, and inexpensive.

Now grabbiness when cold. You sure the clutch is actually grabbing harder and it isn't just that the engine is spinning faster while its still cold? Try letting it idle for a couple of minutes for the idle to settle down to its normal spot.

Also be aware that the colder it is, the "thicker" the various fluids in the system will be, that means, in particular, the lubricants on the clutch pedal lever, the levers down under the truck, and the lubricant on the shaft where the throwout bearing slides. The thicker these lubricants are, the less you will tend to feel as the clutch engages - it could simply be a matter of your perception.

3. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    My clutch grabs & shudders on take off when cold. Once warm, it goes away. Dealer has told me this is normal & just give it a little more gas when letting the clutch out when cold.

4. Oct 5, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Mine is grabby until it warms up too. It's been doing it for a while now but it seems normal.

5. Oct 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    hpvds

hpvds [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manie
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 4x4 Doublecab
    Ironman 4x4 FCP lift, ARB bumper, NL Dual bats, Skids and sliders

Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one and that its not a sign that the transmission is on its way to doing something bad+expensive

6. Oct 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    Yup same here.............chatters a bit on same instances as you guys. There are a couple TSBs about clutch chattering. I guess the LUK clutches and plates kinda suck so Aisn(sp) are put in I think.

It goes away quickly enough for me though so I dont stress it. When the clutch does go though which is ineveitable I am gonna for sure look into upgrading and doing research on the right parts to get to avoid this issue.

7. Oct 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    The "chatter" TSBs are referring to SOUND. Tranny in neutral, clutch engaged, engine idling... does it make a "chatter" sound? If yes, replace with AISIN DTX-189 friction disk (in the case of a 4-cyl), and if pressure plate is LUK, replace with AISIN CTX-106, otherwise reuse existing pressure plate :eek:. Existing friction disk is either LUK or an AISIN DTX-137.

8. Oct 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    mine is grabby too. i think of "hot spots" on the flywheel or clutch surface that are probably glazed over from overheating. that is the WORST thing it could be and in my case is quite liveable untill i wear all the friction material away and have to replace.

i stunk my clutch up once. . . . or twice if i glazed it, i deserve it :)

Products Discussed in

To Top