Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Trans drain plug

Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Trans drain plug

I did my trans fluid early this am. Drain plug fell in the catch can and I scooped it out prior to reinstalling it to refill the trans.
I put it in, tq it down to spec and fill up the trans. Now...I know I took note that there was no washer on it. Thought..weird. I guess they didn't find it necessary to use a washer for some reason. whatever. went on about my business and as I'm dumping the oil in the empty cans...found the missing washer I guess they did think to use one. I just had a mental lapse and for whatever reason didn't bother to look in the catch can prior to reinstallation.
SO this is my question. I don't suspect it'll leak. Not worried about that. More concerned about the tolerances above where the top of the drain bolt will sit. I'm going to assume that I have enough clearance between where it would top out at against any internals. Anyone ever have the trans open that can verify that? Or at least, anyone else ever skip on the washer and everything turn out ok?
I know I'm probably worried about nothing but worth asking around anyway!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
blazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblazze2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blazze2005's Tacoma Gallery
As far as clearance,I'm sure youl be fine. I would be worried for the long run though,you might see the plug slowly develop some leakage. Im in NJ also,I'll drop u a new crush washer in the mail if you pm me your address. Toyota gave me a bag full and charged me for 1
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
dont know the answer.

but, that sounds like something i would do..exactly.

i also know i would agonize about it forever..man, i would put the washer in, but i am mentally flawed.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Washer could help stop corrosion caused by dissimilar metals of the plug and pan. Are they both steel?

I know the front diff is aluminum and the plug is steel so they put a copper washer in that one.....doesn't really help because last time I changed mien I had to weld a nut on it.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Washer could help stop corrosion caused by dissimilar metals of the plug and pan. Are they both steel?

I know the front diff is aluminum and the plug is steel so they put a copper washer in that one.....doesn't really help because last time I changed mien I had to weld a nut on it.
ahhh, good point! Same setup. Alum & steel afaik. Washer appears to be aluminum though, not copper.
It's gonna kill me to drain this damn thing again just to put a washer in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazze2005 View Post
As far as clearance,I'm sure youl be fine. I would be worried for the long run though,you might see the plug slowly develop some leakage. Im in NJ also,I'll drop u a new crush washer in the mail if you pm me your address. Toyota gave me a bag full and charged me for 1
Thanks man, I really appreciate that! I'll just grab a new one at Toyota though. I have to stop there next week to pick up new plugs anyway
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
ahhh, good point! Same setup. Alum & steel afaik. Washer appears to be aluminum though, not copper.
It's gonna kill me to drain this damn thing again just to put a washer in.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that! I'll just grab a new one at Toyota though. I have to stop there next week to pick up new plugs anyway

turn the truck upside down so you don't loose any trans fluid
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

90% sure the thread material and the mating surface of the washer is the material on the plug. if it is gonna seize..a washer isnt gonna stop it.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd throw the washer in to prevent leaks in the long term.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
paid4c4 is on a distinguished road
paid4c4's Tacoma Gallery
Chris, you sound like the guy who wants the job to be right and unfortunately it won't be right until you get a washer on the plug. Take the time and effort to do it right.
Bill
Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
90% sure the thread material and the mating surface of the washer is the material on the plug. if it is gonna seize..a washer isnt gonna stop it.
Could be...not sure. It isn't on the front diff for sure but the oil is supposed to keep it from seizing and we all know that's bs
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #11

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
Chris, you sound like the guy who wants the job to be right and unfortunately it won't be right until you get a washer on the plug. Take the time and effort to do it right.
Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'd throw the washer in to prevent leaks in the long term.
Looks like that's what I'll wind up doing. I'll just order up an extra bottle of mt90 the next time I place an order and consider this a short term "flush"

Quote:
turn the truck upside down so you don't loose any trans fluid