1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Tacoma Driveline Vibration Video documentation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lancems007, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Oct 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    FYI people.

They certainly are aware of the problem. My truck does it also. As of now it is normal in relation to being like others. That's why they say it's normal for the vehicle but it's not NORMAL. This is on their hi priority status believe me. I was asked to have my truck used in the field research and they were going to send guys over from CA ( I think he said ) to basically use my truck for documenting modified parts. This would require me to tear my truck apart numerous times and then running the parts to see the % of improvement.
    I kindly declined because i did this like 30 years ago and I swore i would never do it again. They have a few things they are trying and when they get the ok it's going to happen.
    Just get it documented. When the fixes are out you will have it in your history.

2. Oct 11, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    T1no33

T1no33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Spring Hill, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner V6 SR5
    - Partial Badge Removal & Dipped - Removed Mud Flaps - Blacked out Emblem - Blacked out Chrome Surrounding Grill - Salex Center Console Organizer - AntennaX 13" - Tinted Front Windshield - Derped Tacoma Emblems - Bridgestone 265/70/16 tires - Tuff AT Wheels - 3 and 1 spacer block lift (mistake big time) - Black Rear Bumper - Aries Bull Bar w/light rig
    hey brother, there are several threads on here about the whistle noise coming from the windshield and there is a TSB about it. It's a faulty window seal. they will replace your entire window. Do a search it's all over tacomaworld. Love this site.

3. Oct 12, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    Cobalt719

Cobalt719 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 Banger PreRunner DC
    LED Interior Lights, Tailgate Anit-Theft Mod, OEM Skid Plate, Aftermarket Fogs, Tow Hitch
    Subbed.
    I have a 2012 with the same issue. At my 5k oil change/tire rotation I brought it up and they flipped some piece on the drive shaft 180 degrees (forgot what exactly) and it should "minimize the vibration" it did for a bit, but its still there. I'm due for my next oil change around January hopefully the TSB is true and there is something they can do.

4. Oct 13, 2012 at 4:28 AM
    tpr676

tpr676 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saturday morning on my way for 8 am appointment, see what they say, I can hear it know there's nothing wrong!

5. Oct 13, 2012 at 4:48 AM
    VTTACOMA

VTTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benj
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, Black
    I have a 2012 AC TRD Sport, 6spd manual and have a similar issue. But mine vibrates from 0 - 5 mph. Then seems to run smooth. Any thoughts? Any one seen the same thing? The truck has less than 2000 miles on it.

6. Oct 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    tpr676

tpr676 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just got home from dealer, they rebalanced the tires and did a alignment slight improvement. They said there is something wrong they are calling in the Toyota engineer as far as a tsb in a couple of weeks not likely.

7. Oct 13, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    This looks like a supplier issue on the parts or assemblies in the new plant. I have buddy with an '11 and coworker has a '12 with these issues. They have had multiple alignments and rebalanced drive-lines and tires with varying degree of help, but no cure.

8. Oct 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Is it CB related Mike ?

9. Oct 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I can't go into detail because i don't have that info but they are experimenting with angles, cross members, frame measurements, mount setups. I even mentioned to them about a one piece drive shaft fixing some problems. I can feel ( like everyone else) the individual pulses as the joint cup hits it's angle. That gives you the low speed vib and mid speed due to secondary harmonics.
    I don't think the "FIX" will be a one part only deal. There will be steps to do and a evaluation and then another step. I could be way off on this but the angles have to be modified. My truck is not to bad until i get the boat on the back. I ask him about it all the time and he is pretty straight forward with me.
    There is so much red tape in this stuff you can't imagine.
    Like i said this is hi priority and they are working on it. Imagine modifying a part and then spending millions on production only to get it out in the field and have it not work. That's why they test and sometimes it seems like it takes forever.

10. Oct 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Thanks Mike

11. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    tpr676

tpr676 Well-Known Member

Member:
    What makes me laugh is the fact that Toyota has been making this truck for some time. This should not even be an issue, if Toyota knows about this why did they continue to make them. It's unacceptable and I bought a Toyota because of their solid reputation maybe they need to get out of the pickup biz and leave it to the big boys.

12. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    sacrilege

13. Oct 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Toyota, Chrysler, GM, Ford, etc all do it.
    Chrysler had bad head gaskets for years with an excellent 3 piece replacement that solved a oil leak issue. They continued to use the old style during assembly because it was cheaper to use and they calculated the % of failure was not excessive. IMO that's garbage and if they have a part that keeps a vehicle from having a known issue, it's a no brainer.
    It's all about calculations and money.

14. Oct 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    My F350 7.3 4x4 crew cab long bed has been perfect for 13 years and 150k+ miles. Only failure was auto-box at 140k and 11 years, but that's also due heavy towing including at elevations.

Toyota's been coasting on the 1980's reputation for years.

I have the drive train problem + manual trans and other misc. probs, been to the dealer 6 times. Toyota stung me, field techs and Toyota USA legal still denying there are problems. I'm working on recovering my funds. Others should too.

15. Oct 15, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    TRDHUNTR

TRDHUNTR Active Member

Member:
    Have the same problem on my 2012 DCLB. Its actually getting louder now.

I notice it between 1500 to 2000 and between 25-40mph.

It actually sounds like rattling (metal on metal) identical to the video you have posted.

Please keep us updated and thanks for your work.

16. Oct 16, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    tpr676

tpr676 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dealer called me to say that there is a tsb coming from Toyota they will call me when it comes. Hopefully this is the fix.

17. Oct 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    Given how Toyota's not handling / denying the problem with my 2012, and a TSB being uncertain for both timing and remedy, I added a complaint to NHTSA.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm

When they get enough of these, the problem gets visibility (Toyota gets notified) and sometimes the agency investigates and put pressure on the manufacturer. Again, Toyota won't respond and repair my truck, so applying pressure might work.

Link to file your own:
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

18. Oct 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    MCM78LC

MCM78LC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint Paul, MN
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Sub'd. Waiting to hear more about the anticipated TSB for driveline vibration.

19. Oct 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crewmax TSS Off-Road 4x4, sr5/leather
    If I am being bamboozled.... :mad:

Ok, so here is my update on the drive shaft vibration and the rear drum brake squeal:

Vibration:
    I have been in contact with a manager at Toyota Corp. He told me today that he received an email on October 1 from a product engineer, by the name of John, that a TSB for the drive shaft vibration would be out in 3 to 4 weeks. Obviously its been about 3 weeks, and this manager thinks it will be released soon. I asked him if there was a part or list of parts that would be replaced in the TSB and he told me it would be more than one part. He said the drive shaft, slip yolk, etc.. I told him this TSB was going to make a lot of people happy and he said he knows, that he has a ton of cases on it.

Rear Drum Brakes:
    He is working with two different departments for these two separate issues. He said he hasn't heard back from the guy in the brake product engineering department, named Robert. He re-emailed him this morning before we spoke and said he will be in contact as soon as he gets a response.

On a side note, he was looking at the TSB's that recently came out and said there was one about the clutch in a manual transmission... so if you have that problem, call your dealer and giterdun.

If I get anymore info out of this guy ill report back. If no TSB comes out by mid way in November, Ill call him and find out what happened.

20. Oct 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I came back and reread this and I gotta say, the "big boys" don't make trucks any better than Toyota does. The "Big Three" have just as many problems and service bulletins as everyone else. I have a list almost 3 pages long of bulletins for the Ford, GM, and Dodge trucks. that is 3 pages EACH manufacturer.

Any time you mass produce something, you will have problems. And when there is a problem you don't just snap together a few parts and say "Here you go!" It takes time. First the engineers have to go back and find what is actually causing the problem. Then they have to find a fix. Then they have to test the fix, then the lawyers get involved to verify any liability issues that may be involved. It's a VERY long process to get some things done. Back in the early 90s GM had trouble with seat bolts breaking. It took almost 3 years of testing and redesigning and testing and legal checks before they were able to come up with a fix. some take longer, and some designs don't start showing flaws until after they have been in service for a long time period.

Products Discussed in

To Top