1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 Access cab - excessive road noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kenmac, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Oct 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    kenmac

kenmac [OP] New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    New Taco Access Cab owner
    Hi - I just purchased a new Access cab Taco, previously owned an 07 double-cab Taco. Am experiencing excessive cabin noise above 70kph, nothing like the 07 which was quiet. Dealer replaced rear slider window but no change in noise. Anyone else experiencing this - is this unique to Access cabs? One toyota mechanic suggested I just live with it?

2. Oct 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    I have a '11 AC, and I don't think the noise is that bad. It is however my first Tacoma, and I can only compare it to my last truck, which due to 33" BFG, was pretty loud.

And welcome to TW, from Nova Scotia.

Frank

3. Oct 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    rclangelan

rclangelan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Sykesville, MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DblCb Baja Ed. (Black)
    TRD Front Skid Plate, Tacoma All-Weather Mats, BFG AT KOs (265/70/16)
    Go back to the dealer and drive one of their other A/Cs. Compare.

4. Oct 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I went from a regular cab to an AC ('10) ... at times I stop and think of just how quiet it rides .. suggestion above is good ... go test drive a few and compare ... good luck.

Oh, I forgot ... I lined the rear doors and back panel with sound proofing ... I am sure that has made a difference.

5. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    The AC is a bit louder than the double cab. The storage boxes are the main culprit - they aren't insulated at all and just resonate something fierce. The doors also don't help matters though.

You can sound proof them with a bit of Raamat and ensolite. I used 30 sq feet of raamat and 14 of ensolite with good results.

I did the whole truck - and it rides so much quieter now. It's very nice.

6. Oct 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Does your new truck have the same tire brand and model as your '07?

7. Oct 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    It's a truck, I've never been in one that was very quiet on the road, I've just accepted that it is the way they are. Just crank up the tunes and roll! :cool:

8. Oct 6, 2012 at 5:35 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    Stock dunflops were awful. Got rid of them at 1000 miles and ride was a lot quieter. I have general hts highway all seasons so not an aggressive tread. Adding insulation to doors also helped.

9. Oct 6, 2012 at 7:52 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    my AC is quieter than my 2011 BMW 3 series was... its THAT quiet, at all speeds. even when around 80.... OP, this could be your tires. my truck had all terrain tires on it and i couldnt hear myself think. once i put the right tires on it (LTX MS2) it transformed the truck.

my AC is as quiet, if not quieter than most cars ive driven.

10. Oct 6, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
    I was always told that if you are hearing road noise you don't have the stereo cranked up enough. :D

11. Oct 6, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    adam337

adam337 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    north east ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    LED interior, fog light mod, with hyper yellow bulbs leer cap,front tow hook,zombie defense system,smitty built bull bar, 20" LED light bar,12v accessory power supply in cap, rear facing led lights for trailer illumination (tying down quads etc)
    my 2011 reg. cab was way louder then my 2012 access cab.

12. Oct 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    TRDSport10

TRDSport10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhode Island & Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 AC TRD Sport 4x4 - Silver
    TRD Exhaust, Tube Steps, Towing Hitch, Paint Protection Film, Bed Mat, Wheel Locks, Spare Tire Lock, First Aid Kit, Ashtray Cup, TRD Air Filter, TRD Oil Cap, TRD Radiator Cap, FJ TRD Hub Caps, FJ TRD Shift Knob, BackFlip F1, TSB Rear Springs, Coupe TRD Battery Hold Down Bar, KatzKin Leather Seats with W.E.T. Seat Heaters, WeatherTech: FloorLiners DigitalFit, Side Window Deflectors, ClearCover License, LampGard
    Suggest click on link to "wind noise" posted by 'matty' or try TW Search for wind noise. Refer to posts #25 (MMOCGuy) & #26 (TRDSport10). Appears Norm (#25) solved the problem. My local dealership confirmed this rear cabin wind noise in my Tacoma, sounds like a back window is open. Several attempts made by the dealer to correct the issue, however, the problem has not gone away. Neither the dealer nor Toyota corporate have been able to resolve or acknowledge a cause for the rear cabin wind noise. Very very annoying.:(
    This is the only real issue I have with my Tacoma.

Good luck with your new truck.
    JohnB

13. Oct 9, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    2012 Tacoma

2012 Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Illinois/Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5
    Undercover Classic, TRD Skidplate, Wet Okoles
    I agree, even sitting in the truck not running it sounds like there is a window open, my no 1 annoyance about this truck

14. Oct 9, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    rclangelan

rclangelan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Sykesville, MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DblCb Baja Ed. (Black)
    TRD Front Skid Plate, Tacoma All-Weather Mats, BFG AT KOs (265/70/16)
    FWIW - I've owned two Double Cabs. Never had this issue with either. It must be something with the weatherstripping on the suicide doors?

15. Oct 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    Hubs

Hubs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Prior to my 2008 DC Taco, I had Isuzu Rodeo and Isuzu Trooper that were much quieter than my Taco. I am guessing that is because I had Michelin LTx on them. My Taco has the the God-awful stock Dunlop's on them. I am too cheap to replace them because they have plenty of tread life left on them.

16. Oct 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    whiteboy

whiteboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD sport
    Kings, alcans, 33's blah blah read my build thread in sig
    I have a bit of road noise in my '06 AC but I also have a sunroof that I believe isn't helping much. The seal on it could probably be replaced and it would help as right now it's a bit torn up and probably lets more noise in than it should.

17. Oct 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    I bet it has more to do with that the AC has a big opening for the doors. But mostly from the fact that it has no real seats over the openings for the storage bays. If you pull the box out from those, it's loud as hell and a little bit of sound proofing and insulation goes a long way on that section of the truck.

18. Oct 10, 2012 at 1:02 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Wow. This thread is all over the place. My access cab is as quiet as any car I've owned, even with the stock Dunlop tires on it.

19. Dec 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    John Bakker

John Bakker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 4X4 Access Cab
    You really have to wonder why some Access Cab owners have a real quiet truck while others complain about the excessive sound. I know it's easy for those of you with the quiet trucks to say we are expecting too much from a truck and that it's the tires. Believe me, we are not referring to tire hum. This is definitely a wind noise particularly noticeable on crosswinds. The odd thing is that the noise appears to come from the side OPPOSITE to the direction the wind is coming from, but definitely from the rear seats area. My dealer has tried several things to alleviate the problem, replacing both the door and frame weatherstripping to the rear doors. They realize it's excessive but Toyota does not seem to have a solution.
    I love my 2010 Tacoma AC, but this is very annoying in what is otherwise an excellent quality vehicle.
    Let's keep this thread going with solutions. So far I have not read from anyone whose dealer came up with a solution. One contributer suggested that glueing down the weatherstripping to avoid gaps between the plugs helps. My dealer even tried this and still the wind noise continues to howl. I have to admit that my tonneau cover seems to agravate the situation, but still, that noise has to be entering somehow.
    Thanks for the input.

20. Dec 11, 2012 at 3:54 AM
    ShawnR

ShawnR Roads?? We don't need no stinkin' roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco TRD OR access cab
    PIAA driving lights,Pioneer AVH-P3300BT stereo with HD radio and Axxess steering wheel control adapter,rearview mirror mod,ReTrax rolling cover,Demello front bumper,WeatherTech,10 inch woofer,500 watt amp,CB in armrest, heated Wet Okole seat covers,Spidertrax spacers, ARB twin compressor,Ikon 10,500lb wireless winch,A-pillar RAM mount,Pull-Pal,electric locking tailgate
    My 2010 AC also has a lot of noise from the low rear of the cab.
    I'm looking forward to doing the RAAM mat install next to the back wall and doors.
    The noise isn't horrible, but it is definitely noisier than a sedan or hatchback.

Products Discussed in

To Top