Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Swing Away Spare Tire Locking and Others

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Swing Away Spare Tire Locking and Others

I'm getting a Trailmaster 2.0 with the swing away tire carrier, highlift mount, and gas can holders. I was searching around but came to no real conclusions. I was wondering what would be the best way to lock these things down. I was thinking about a cable lock but I don't want the locks to be banging around and denting and scratching things.

Any ideas?

Here's a picture of HomerTaco's:
Old 10-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Locking lug nuts. I know the exist somewhere.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
I would lock with a cable.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
tire i would use a locking lug nut. also maybe not keep the gas cans on all the time, just when you may need them?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Locking lug nuts. I know the exist somewhere.
I'd need to find locking lug nuts that have the right seat to fit my aftermarket wheel. I might talk to a tire shop about that but I don't know if they will have any with the right seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
I would lock with a cable.
That's what I'm thinking but my dilema right now is how to secure the lock or locks so it doesn't swing around while I'm driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
tire i would use a locking lug nut. also maybe not keep the gas cans on all the time, just when you may need them?
I probably won't keep the gas cans on all the time because people might just punch holes in the bottom of them. I still would like a way to secure them if I needed to.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Use a piece of velcro on the lock and attach it somewhere out of the way.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
I'd need to find locking lug nuts that have the right seat to fit my aftermarket wheel. I might talk to a tire shop about that but I don't know if they will have any with the right seat.
This will work with most wheels. The studs on the tire carrier are the same as the truck's (12mm x1.5), right?

http://www.amazon.com/McGard-25357-Chrome-Black-Thread/dp/B0002UOQLC
Old 10-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
First of all I'm SUPER :jelly:

Secondly, I'd use locking lugs on the wheel, and a cable/padlock on the hi-lift and jerry cans and just stuff it somewhere where it wont dangle around and bump into shit.

I'm not sure where I would stuff it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
This will work with most wheels. The studs on the tire carrier are the same as the truck's (12mm x1.5), right?

http://www.amazon.com/McGard-25357-Chrome-Black-Thread/dp/B0002UOQLC
I'm assuming. I'll email CBI to make sure. It shouldn't damage the wheel if the seat of the bolt is at a different angle from the seat of the wheel right?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^90% of aftermarket wheels have 60-deg conical seat. The remaining have either a 45-deg conical seat or ball seat. What wheels do you have?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
McGard doesn't sell the small-diameter locks in packs of 5. Gorilla does:

http://www.brandsport.com/grla-71631nbc5.html

Products Discussed in this Thread