Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cheapest/Easiest mod for more gas mileage/power?

Old 10-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
NightShades is on a distinguished road
NightShades's Tacoma Gallery
Cheapest/Easiest mod for more gas mileage/power?

I have a k and n fillter and did the air box mod... was wondering if there is any other mods that are. cheap and easy to help gas mileage and performance?

I'm guessing the next one is exhaust... wonder how efficient it is compared to stock

I have an 05 v6
Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
1. Watch how you drive. A scanguage helps with this.
2. Tonneau cover. Not really sure if this helps or not.
3. Wind deflectors. This only helps if you always drive with your windows open.
4. Do scheduled maintence.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
Conservative
Executive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shedExecutive is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Executive's Tacoma Gallery
If there were cheap easy ways to boost the performance and economy of the Tacoma, then Toyota would be including them from the factory. I have tried the K&N filter on various vehicles over the years and noticed ZERO difference in performance and had MPG actually go down. An aftermarket or factory approved accessory exhaust will not help either. In fact you will tend to be on the throttle more to enjoy the sound and your economy will suffer.

Best ways to keep your economy to its best potential are: keep your tires properly inflated, do regular maintenance including oil changes, do not carry too much stuff you don't need, and change your driving habits, using a light foot on the gas, coasting to a stop, use cruise control on the highway, and keep under 65 MPH.

Chris
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Drive slow. It's free
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Yes there is:

Welcome to owning a truck.
This
Old 10-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
go back to stock and learn the light foot mod
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
For me I usaully try to drive 2000 rpm or lower you'll be slow but good practice to not speed and also I drive like a grand ma cuz I got 2 speeding tickets recently don't want to get another one
Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Header
Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck was engineered to perform the way it does, to achieve the perfect mix of efficiency and power.

Slapping on aftermarket exhaust systems, cone filtered intakes and other generic "performance" oriented modification are going to add noise, reduce mpg while generally maintaining or even reducing your horsepower.

Drive with a light foot, keep your tires at the correct psi, try to keep yourself distant from red lights to delay the stopping and accelerating process.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Eventually you get to the point where you're not seeing enough of a return on your modding investment to make it worthwhile. If you put on a $300 CAI, for example, and pick up a half mile per gallon, how long would it take to see that return?

Bottom line, don't buy a truck if you're worried about gas mileage. These trucks get what the sticker says, they're very honest about the MPG on the sticker.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Sell it for a sports car. They get slightly better MPGs and have more power.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #14
Banned
evh5150 will become famous soon enough
Name: Eddie
evh5150's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah do what I did, Sold the truck and bought a Jetta TDI 6 seed manual at almost 50 miles a gallon. Just got 575 miles out of my first tank. To me for such a small truck it should get way better mileage than it did.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
agree that these trucks could do better, but theres really nothing you can do. i plan on replacing my muffler one day (maybe my next mid-life crisis) and thats it.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evh5150 View Post
Yeah do what I did, Sold the truck and bought a Jetta TDI 6 seed manual at almost 50 miles a gallon. Just got 575 miles out of my first tank. To me for such a small truck it should get way better mileage than it did.
I've thought about doing that but with the truck paid off and going to a payment again, that's not worth it for me. Not a bad choice you've made, though.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta accept that its a truck. Cmon man!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Yes there is:

Welcome to owning a truck.
Ryan, he said cheapest.

Frank
Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #19
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Use 0W20 synthetic oil to gain 1 mpg. Toyota "requires" 0W20 oil in many models including the Taco, to eck out that 1 mpg to improve its CAFE ratings and look better in advertising.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
Spruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: '90-96
Spruced UP's Tacoma Gallery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiling