Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Floor Jack for truck lifted 3" - Jack Height??

Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Floor Jack for truck lifted 3" - Jack Height??

I am looking at purchasing a floor jack. My truck has a 3" lift. What height floor jack is typically required to get the tires off of the ground?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
RyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really nice

Name: Ryan
RyanK1's Tacoma Gallery
I had a hard time with my smaller floor jack, I ended up using my hi-lift off the front bumper.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Get a HF floor jack with the highest reach. Use a 4x4 block if you need to.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Hi-lift, FTW. Also went to the local auto store and bought the tallest floor jack they had. If it's not enough, I guess you could put a 4x4 block on top?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC, there are accessories available for the hi-lifts to use on vehicles without armor.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty much.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
The readily available floor jacks lift to either 14", 19" or 21" it seems. I just wonder if these lift high enough to pull off the wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
Just out of curiosity here, do you have to have sliders to use a hi lift jack???
No Sliders.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
Bush Pusher

Quote:
check this one out?
http://www.amazon.com/Arcan-2-Ton-Ja...ews/B0035ISJE8

They sell them at costco for 100 bucks, it can lift mine off the ground but I only have a leveling kit and it also can lift my dads f350 off the ground. I would reccommend it, Only con I have is that the jack is HEAVY. I think it raises to 48inches?
Ok, so it looks like you have your Billys at 1.75. Do you recall whether you are maxing out your jack when you use it?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #9

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You should get the one from costco in my opinion, best price around and if it doesnt work for you and your thinking of something different, you can always get this kind of adapter

check this out

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CCQQ9QEwBA

I like...
Old 10-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Bush Pusher

Quote:
about 3/4 of the way up
ok cool, thanks. I found the jack on Arcan's site. Looks like it lifts 21.3" . Sounds like it should be enough then.
http://arcanusa.com/lifting.html
Old 10-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Bush Pusher

Quote:
You should get the one from costco in my opinion, best price around and if it doesnt work for you and your thinking of something different, you can always get this kind of adapter

check this out

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CCQQ9QEwBA

this is a good too, thanks Matt.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
That jack looks so sketchy.

Try using a high lift with LT! It's difficult.....

I find a regular floor jack works for me with 35s. Definitely get a stronger beefier one. Generally those are also a little taller.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Bush Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
They have a lot of choices. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Bush Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
That jack looks so sketchy.

Try using a high lift with LT! It's difficult.....

I find a regular floor jack works for me with 35s. Definitely get a stronger beefier one. Generally those are also a little taller.
A scissor or bottle style jack? I am also thinking about just getting a biggor scissor jack.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
Bush Pusher

Quote:
where do you plan on lifting it up from, The side frame, the rear axle, the front crossbar on the frame? Random I know but it will help me, help you. Before you buy, it wouldnt hurt to measure from your highest frame point to the ground to see just what you need
Normally I use the recommended points. The side frame on the front and the axle on the back I believe.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
Bush Pusher

thanks for all of the input guys. It is appreciated.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
Bush Pusher

Anyone out there using a floor jack under their 3" lift? If so how many inches does your jack lift?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
A scissor or bottle style jack? I am also thinking about just getting a biggor scissor jack.
I don't like bottle jacks, they're very unstable. And if you're trying to use it on the trail? Forget about it. I use this type at home, but it's not a bad idea to bring it on the trail. Sometimes a hi-lift doesn't get the job done.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #19
Bush Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
I don't like bottle jacks, they're very unstable. And if you're trying to use it on the trail? Forget about it. I use this type at home, but it's not a bad idea to bring it on the trail. Sometimes a hi-lift doesn't get the job done.

what height does yours lift to? I want to pick one up. I am looking at some that lift 15", some that lift 19" and some that lift 21" . I just want to be sure the one I get lifts high enough. I really dont wanna have to block it up higher.

Anyone? thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
GoldMember
tacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMAQ-1
Name: Josh
tacosunday's Tacoma Gallery
Im wondering the same thing, I wanna buy a floor jack and am not sure how high it needs to be.