Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

extend the oil change with synthetic oil

Old 10-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
bra is on a distinguished road

bra's Tacoma Gallery
extend the oil change with synthetic oil

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pag...etic-motor-oil

Hello guys, do you think the oil change interval can be extended for our tacoma v6 with 100% synthetic oil 5W30? Because the toyota's website say we can extend from 5000 miles to 10 000miles...
Old 10-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I still go 5000 between changes, which is only about twice a year for me.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Chang filter at 5K oil at 10k.. Down here in the heat I run 10w30
Old 10-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
I changed out the dino for syn at 1K miles...and will change at 5K miles and every 5K miles.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota now pays for maintenance for new cars for the first two years. Toyota now has an incentive to extend the published OCI as long as possible.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
bra is on a distinguished road

bra's Tacoma Gallery
And what will happen if I extend? Does it wear the engine or parts inside? Or the performance?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Do oil analysis if you're worried about it but I change it every 5k-7k. I'm almost to 7k on my oil now and it looks brand new (which is really no indication of wear but still).
Old 10-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
Chang filter at 5K oil at 10k.. Down here in the heat I run 10w30
So after changing the filter do you just add some more synthetic to make sure you're at correct level? As I'm sure you would lose some oil that's in the filter
Old 10-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running Mobil 1 and change the oil and filter at 7,500 miles.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm running Mobil 1 and change the oil and filter at 7,500 miles.
This is what I was thinking about doing, just wasn't sure if the filter perform at it's best after 5k miles
Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Toyota now pays for maintenance for new cars for the first two years. Toyota now has an incentive to extend the published OCI as long as possible.
doesn't the consumer pay for it as part of the Toyoguard?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Do oil analysis if you're worried about it but I change it every 5k-7k. I'm almost to 7k on my oil now and it looks brand new (which is really no indication of wear but still).
Analysis is great, but at $25, it's only another $15 to just change it

Seriously... Change intervals beyond 15k are possible with a proper bypass filtration system installed. The cost of the system, plus the cost of the UOA, on a truck that only takes a $4 filter and $30 worth of synthetic 5w30/0w20, it's not worth it.

It's getting to be worth it on a 10-quart Duramax or 12-quart Powerjoke, but it really is not truly economically advantageous unless you're talking about long-haul OTR trucks that carry 10 gallons of oil... and can then run 60k between changes.

Synthetic oil is good. It's freaking awesome. It has a lower cold pour point for better protection in cold weather. It has better film retention, which reduces wear during the first seconds of operation following a cold startup. It has better shear stability due to the reduced percentage of viscosity improvers that are needed to create a multigrade oil.

All of the above allow it to be used for extended change intervals... and that is what has been pushed by Mobil and Amsoil, because one $45 oil change every 15,000 miles compared to three $20 oil changes every 15,000 miles makes synthetic look cheaper.

But extended OCI is NOT, and never has been the primary benefit of synthetic.
I run synthetic and change at 5k.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndawg View Post
i run sythetic and change every 3000
Im sorry but this soon is not only a waste of time and money, but it also wastes oil and filters. 5 thousand miles is the new norm, unless your towing in the desert.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
MrTacoma is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Firefighter
MrTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
This might be wrong Thread but out of curisosity, does Toyota, or the Tacoma Owner Manual state anywhere that our trucks can take Sythetic Oil ? I dont disagree with it, with all the info I know about sythetic in theory it sounds great and better for the engine, Im hesistant to do it because I havent found it in the manual saying its ok for the engine..
Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTacoma View Post
This might be wrong Thread but out of curisosity, does Toyota, or the Tacoma Owner Manual state anywhere that our trucks can take Sythetic Oil ? I dont disagree with it, with all the info I know about sythetic in theory it sounds great and better for the engine, Im hesistant to do it because I havent found it in the manual saying its ok for the engine..
Some of the newer models specify 0w20 oil.
0w oils are only available as synthetic.

Therefore: 0w20 spec = synthetic.

I believe this applies to the 2012 and later 2.7 on the factory fill, but Toyota spec's 0w20 as acceptable as far back as 2005 on the 2.7 and 2010 on the 4.0.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #19
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTacoma View Post
Oil is oil. Synthetic has longer lasting lubracative properties. That's why it lsat longer. Usually a manual will say switch to synthetic after 40 or 60k. I switched to synthetic because I want my truck to be protected. Simply can't go wrong with synthetic.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterkx2fiddy View Post
Usually a manual will say switch to synthetic after 40 or 60k.
No it won't.
Quote:
Simply can't go wrong with synthetic.
Agreed