Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Squealing when i turn my steering wheel

Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
rktacoma is on a distinguished road
rktacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Squealing when i turn my steering wheel

Hi I have a 2008 tacoma 4x4 with a 6" fabtech lift. One day i noticed when ever i turned my steering wheel it made a loud squeal whether i was parked or moving. I replaced my ripped tie rod ends and installed a new rack and pinion because it was leaking but still i get that same noise. If anyone could help this has been a long and frustrating problem.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Power steering pump, or the serpentine belt.

Aged belt will slip under load and squeal, or if the pump is on it's last legs, it might be getting "tight" and causing the belt to slip.

Replace the belt first since it's cheaper than the pump
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
ok thanks! I will try that...Hope it works cuz it sounds like something is binding too... It's hard to explain but its like if you had two moving parts and there was not enough lubrication...
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Aged belt will slip under load and squeal, or if the pump is on it's last legs, it might be getting "tight" and causing the belt to slip.
My thoughts exactly. Rich is just the master of all knowledge and once again beat me to it.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
ok i changed the belt the other day and still got the same noise. Sounds like something is not lubricated enough. What type of sound will a bad lower ball joint make? I just figured there aren't any more pivot points left.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
fluid level is good? pumps go out..

my wife's car is doing this. we are in a holding pattern waiting for it to go..just so you know, the demand on the pump is at it's greatest at the extreme end of your steering range.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
thanks for all the help everyone! gonna try and replace the steering pump soon...hope it works!!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Check your PS Fluid level first.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
the level was full
Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Then check belt. At full lock the pulley gets difficult to spin. So the belt slips then.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Thanks for da help. I figured out the problem... The uni-ball on my total chaos UCA's just need some lubrication.. Now the sound is gone.. Thanks again everyone! Glad I didn't have to change the pump!