1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

questons about the softopper or supertop

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by janelle2388, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Oct 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    janelle2388

janelle2388 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma access cab SR5
    3 inch icon lift, dual exhaust, 17 inch pro comp rims, tinted tail lights, black badges, BHLM, T-Rex eye lids, 10" alpine type R sub, alpine deck, alpine amp, K&N CAI, icon UCA's, 2" AAL, 32" led light bar
    Ok I'm looking to get a softopper or a supertop but I live in an area with high winds and lots of snow with below freezing weather so my question is will it be able to hold up through high winds and very cold weather with a snow load. Will it crack or rip and get brittle with the cold. I did research and heard they are very difficult to impossible to put up when its cold but how does it old up if it stays up with the cold? And also is one much better then the other, I know that's a matter of opinion but if someone has had both types and prefers one over the other please tell me why you prefer that one. Hope you guys can help me out with this.

2. Oct 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    I have the supertop on my tacoma and the softopper on my 4runner. I would get the softopper for my tacoma if I could do it again. The softopper is a little bit better quality IMO.

The softopper does not have windows on the side so you would not have to worry about those cracking in the winter time, but I don't have much experience with mine in cold climates.

3. Oct 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    They are tough as shit. Just like a top on a jeep.

I have one if you want it? Only if you are close?

4. Oct 7, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    janelle2388

janelle2388 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma access cab SR5
    3 inch icon lift, dual exhaust, 17 inch pro comp rims, tinted tail lights, black badges, BHLM, T-Rex eye lids, 10" alpine type R sub, alpine deck, alpine amp, K&N CAI, icon UCA's, 2" AAL, 32" led light bar
    I'm in great falls montana

5. Oct 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
  6. Oct 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    Thats why I clamped a piece of aluminum angle across the front of mine, to keep that window from coming loose. Mine has held up well for over a year now with lots of 70+ mph highway driving.

7. Oct 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    I used to daily drive a Jeep CJ with a supertop from Bestop, they do get brittle and the windows are easy to crack if too much strain is put on them, other than that I had no complaints. It held heat surprisingly well, better than the hardtop it has now actually. Don't use window scrapers on the windows cuz that will scratch them up and possibly break them. They do hold up to wind, just make a lot of noise. Not sure how noticeable this will be from the cab of a truck however.

8. Oct 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    Yes, I've seen that in numerous threads for Bestops. I would definitely do so if I got one.

Products Discussed in

To Top