Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spark plugs

Old 08-09-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
brant_trd is on a distinguished road

brant_trd's Tacoma Gallery
Spark plugs

Has anyone change their plugs yet, well I just did yesterday and boy was I in for a surprise. I mean it was very easy and didn't take very long. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same thing happen to them. Believe it or not, but factory installed one owner (me of course). Well what I'm trying to say is that toyota installed 2 different kind of spark plugs in my truck and just curious if that was purposely done or if they just fu@#ed up. Yes, I had NGK's on the driver side and Denso's on the passenger side. The only good thing I saw to this that I was able to tell which spark plug held up the best. Can anyone guess, It was the NGK's. They ran a lot cooler, hardly any burnt marks unlike the Denso's. The Denso's also left burnt carbon in the coil just a little over 40,000. So, if you are running Denso's you probably want to change them around 25,000 miles and bet the NGK's could easily lasy a good 50,000 miles.
Anybody else with this problem, just wondering if I should go bitch out the Dealership or not?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
Yep...dual plugs have been on the Tacoma for a long time, even on the first generation Tacoma's. What I don't know; however, if it's isolated to the Nummi plant or all Toyota factory's worldwide. My guess: The Toyota Engineer's intentionally designed the engine that way. I've sent a few PM's to the Mexican Tacoma owners asking them to post the results when they change out their plugs.

However, your situation on the the NGK's is interesting. Everybody I've talked with had just the opposite experience. The NGK's do run rich but as a result are usually more 'fouled' than the Denso's. I not sure why yours would be different. Densos' are always on the right and NGK'S are on the left...so it's not a matter of the plugs being switched sides. I'll probably switch to the Denso's iridium at 30K....many who have made the switch have posted good results.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t194813.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=200646

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t200973.html
Old 08-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
TRDRob is on a distinguished road
TRDRob's Tacoma Gallery
My truck had Denso's installed on the passenger side and NGK's installed on the driver's side. Light tan deposits were similar on all plugs but the electrodes on the NGK's were worn outside the permitted gap tolerance at 30,000 miles. The Denso's were still within tolerance. Replaced all plugs with Denso's as supplied by the dealer.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman767 View Post
Yep...dual plugs have been on the Tacoma for a long time, even on the first generation Tacoma's. What I don't know; however, if it's isolated to the Nummi plant or all Toyota factory's worldwide. My guess: The Toyota Engineer's intentionally designed the engine that way. I've sent a few PM's to the Mexican Tacoma owners asking them to post the results when they change out their plugs.

However, your situation on the the NGK's is interesting. Everybody I've talked with had just the opposite experience. The NGK's do run rich but as a result are usually more 'fouled' than the Denso's. I not sure why yours would be different. Densos' are always on the right and NGK'S are on the left...so it's not a matter of the plugs being switched sides. I'll probably switch to the Denso's iridium at 30K....many who have made the switch have posted good results.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t194813.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=200646

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t200973.html
So do you think I should do the same setup or should I just leave it alone, because I installed them all with denso's. And that's so odd that are exactly the opposite, maybe if I get around to it I'll post some pics.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brant_trd View Post
So do you think I should do the same setup or should I just leave it alone, because I installed them all with denso's. And that's so odd that are exactly the opposite, maybe if I get around to it I'll post some pics.
you will be ok sticking with the denso's. the plugs will probably be a little better than the ngk's anyway, seeing as how the ngk looks burnt down more than the denso.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, I interpreted from your initial post that you replaced your plugs with NGK's because the Denso's were more 'fouled' looking. Either way, I would replace them with either 6 NGK's or preferably 6 Denso's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brant_trd View Post
Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #7

Yes, I put 6 Denso's in. Thanks a lot guys, I really thought I had a F'ed up Tacoma. You know its kinda funny that the forums always knows more than the Dealership. Cause they thought it was F'ed up too. Shows us how much they pay attention to their work. That's why I', gonna do everything myself for now on.