Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brand of Motor Oil

Old 10-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
kurtw is on a distinguished road
kurtw's Tacoma Gallery
According to a couple of the guys at Oreillys I've talked to, they say their oil changes literally weekly depending on which manufacturer has the best bulk pricing. And it's NEVER to the same standards as the oil the providing company sells themselves. It passes government standards, but it's usually manufactured cheaper and without the additives that say, Mobil 1 or Valvoline would use in their own oil.

Buy at your own risk. And take what I say with a grain of salt, as it's information that's coming from guys who work there.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 5W30 and Toyota oil filters every 5K
Old 10-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
rlanicek will become famous soon enoughrlanicek will become famous soon enough

Marines:
Name: Rick
rlanicek's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rlanicek
Supertech 5W-30 and a WIX filter.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
why no love for royal purple? I've ran 5w-30 RP in my truck since 15,000 miles, and change it every 8-9k with toyota filters. Once i accidentally went too long (11k miles) between changes, so i sent the sample to blackstone labs, and the test results came back AMAZING.

I'll use royal purple always. I can get a case of 6 qts online for about $50. Worth the dollar or 2 extra per qt.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I drain mine into a kitchen bowl (so I know it's clean) then I run it through several coffee filters and back into the engine. If it's low I'll top it off with whatever I got on hand.

cheapest gallon jug of synthetic walmart has
You should try the reverse osmosis? Just run it through and its like new.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtw View Post
According to a couple of the guys at Oreillys I've talked to, they say their oil changes literally weekly depending on which manufacturer has the best bulk pricing. And it's NEVER to the same standards as the oil the providing company sells themselves. It passes government standards, but it's usually manufactured cheaper and without the additives that say, Mobil 1 or Valvoline would use in their own oil.

Buy at your own risk. And take what I say with a grain of salt, as it's information that's coming from guys who work there.

Actually the standards on motor oil are industry concensus standards, and in the US, it is the API who writes the standards. I have been on standard writing committees before. It is a long and very boring process to rewrite or write a new standard. No government involvement here, except there might be an observer from DoE, DoD or EPA.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Amsoil for my truck. These are all fine motor oils. OPs question was to which oil we use in our Tacomas. Just hoping this won't turn into one of the other 'why this type of oil and maintenance interval are best' threads Seems like a great thread so far.

If Amsoil not available, vegetable oil from the kitchen pantry
Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #28
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Valvoline Durablend 5w-30 and whatever filter they use at the grease-n-go.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #29
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I'm with Hetkind. I look for the best buy on a major brand with the proper ratings. Toyota filters are reportedly better quality and also cheaper than the others, so that is a no-brainer.

FWIW, I put 5W30 in my 2.7l in the last change. I note no gas mileage difference so far. The owners manual recommends 0W20 or 5W20, but a note in the owner's manual suggests 5W30 is a good choice for high speed or heavy duty use.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #30
DSYLEXC is on a distinguished road
DSYLEXC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
FWIW, I put 5W30 in my 2.7l in the last change. I note no gas mileage difference so far. The owners manual recommends 0W20 or 5W20, but a note in the owner's manual suggests 5W30 is a good choice for high speed or heavy duty use.
I believe if your truck has the tow package V6 (heavy duty use) Toyota recommends 5W30 oil, 5W20 for non tow package V6 Tacoma. 4 cyl gets 0W20 from factory.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #32
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Whale
Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #33
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dYL0n View Post
why no love for royal purple?

I'll use royal purple always. I can get a case of 6 qts online for about $50. Worth the dollar or 2 extra per qt.
Because it's nothing special. It's a complete ripoff at $50 for a 6-pack when you can get a 6-pack of Mobil-1 for $36 at Costco... $26 when it's on sale.
RP spends more money on their marketing and blue dye than on the base stocks.

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/oil/oil.xls
It didn't do any better than Castrol GTX, and didn't do as well as Mobil-1.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #34
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
IMO the brand of motor oil should be the least of your concerns with the Taco. I get my oil changed at the dealer. It is purportedly TGMO 5W30 and comes from a hose in the ceiling.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #35
You Know We Can't Do This All Day!!!
MTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud of

MTBerJim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround67 View Post
Just wondering what brand of motor oil most of us use in the tacoma? I use mobil 5w-30 in my 2011 prerunner
Whatever the dealer puts in, didn't Toyota do the Toyota-care thing in 2011?
I got 2 years on scheduled service as part of the cost.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #36
shortround67 is on a distinguished road
shortround67's Tacoma Gallery
brand of motor oil and toyota care

hey thanks for the help they do have the 2 year care on my tacoma but I had to go 150mile to buy it wouldn't take it to wichita to get care that dealer sucks shop is dirty and poor work,
Old 10-09-2012, 04:48 AM   #37
You Know We Can't Do This All Day!!!
MTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud of

MTBerJim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround67 View Post
hey thanks for the help they do have the 2 year care on my tacoma but I had to go 150mile to buy it wouldn't take it to wichita to get care that dealer sucks shop is dirty and poor work,
So you are worried that an auto repair shop is dirty?

From what I understand the oil in the new ones is a synthetic, when I was in the auto part store oil last spring picking up oil to change the oil in all my lawn equipment, the synthetics where all about 5-6 dollars a quart.
At the dealer the service is NO cost

The truck is under warranty, anything they break-they have to fix.

This is a no brainier.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #38
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBerJim View Post
So you are worried that an auto repair shop is dirty?

From what I understand the oil in the new ones is a synthetic, when I was in the auto part store oil last spring picking up oil to change the oil in all my lawn equipment, the synthetics where all about 5-6 dollars a quart.
At the dealer the service is NO cost

The truck is under warranty, anything they break-they have to fix.

This is a no brainier.
If I saw a shop that was disorganized and filthy, I wouldn't take my truck there either. If you've ever been into the newer shops at the dealerships, they're usually very clean and organized. The days of grease and oil being everywhere are over.

No offense but this is not a no-brainer. Anything they break they have to fix but you are much more likely to take your time and look things over than a dealership tech who just does oil changes all day. I was taking my truck into the dealership for services and at about 15k miles, I realized they never bothered to grease anything under the truck. That's a minor example but when you're under your own truck, you look for things, tighten heat shields, grease the drive line, check to see if anything is loose or leaking, etc. A dealership tech doing your free oil change is going to put it up on the lift, drain the oil, change the filter (if you're lucky) and refill, that's it. I would much rather do it myself than have the dealership do it.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #39
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
I have long preferred Valvolene oils. One of the biggest reasons is that you can find it anywhere, from a grocery store, a quckstop, to an automotive store. This cannot be said for most others.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #40
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If I saw a shop that was disorganized and filthy, I wouldn't take my truck there either. If you've ever been into the newer shops at the dealerships, they're usually very clean and organized. The days of grease and oil being everywhere are over.
X2. I always go to one dealer for my oil changes. Their ExpressLube shop looks like an extension of Toyota's assembly line - clean, organized and with a glass wall so customers can see everything. If you find a competent dealer, use them. If your dealer sucks, they can create more problems, for example:

Dealer forgetting to change oil filter: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...il-filter.html

Dealer forgetting to put in oil : http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...il-6000km.html

Dealer backing truck into a pole: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...my-tacoma.html