LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brand of Motor Oil

Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
shortround67 is on a distinguished road
shortround67's Tacoma Gallery
Brand of Motor Oil

Just wondering what brand of motor oil most of us use in the tacoma? I use mobil 5w-30 in my 2011 prerunner
Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
I personally use what ever oil that is real cheap usually a 5w-30. No synthetic for me. If my truck was newer like a 05+ i would use synthetic to take care of the engine better.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Secret Squirell, Contract Completed
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...hetic-oil.html

I use Mobile 1
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I drain mine into a kitchen bowl (so I know it's clean) then I run it through several coffee filters and back into the engine. If it's low I'll top it off with whatever I got on hand.

cheapest gallon jug of synthetic walmart has
Old 10-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
watacomaguy is on a distinguished road
watacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Use whatever name brand oil is cheaper. They all are pretty good. There is no way I would strain my own oil and re-use it.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I used Mobil 1 for years on my old V8's....then got into Amsoil and never switched back. Over 7 years now I have used Amsoil and put it in everything I own. I am pretty sure I would run Amsoil in myself if it would help me operate better and get more longevity
Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
kurtw is on a distinguished road
kurtw's Tacoma Gallery
There's Mobil 1, then there's everything else. I've used everything over the years, done the research (I could prolly talk your ears off about zinc content) and tried everything. Unless you like spending $20 a Qt. for super high-end racing oil that gets changed way more often, I haven't found anything better than Mobil 1.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #8
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Pennzoil Platinum. It gets good ratings and lab results on BITOG, and it's normally $1 cheaper for a 5qt Jug at Wally World.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I use Mobil 1.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I have been using Mobil 1 in new vehicles for the last 20 years or so...in that time we have not had a an engine issue that involved removing valve covers, oil pan or intake manifold. This includes several vehicles with above 200k on clock.

Our 60's vintage trucks (three of them) get Rotella 15w-40 which has the right additives for flat tappet engines.

About 20 years ago, Consumer Reports did a research project involving most major brands of oil and a fleet of NYC taxis. The rebuilt ALL the engines, put in different brands of oil, in a blind study, ran the engines for roughly 80k miles, and rebuilt them again, measuring oil usage and wear, using camshaft/tappet wear as their major indicator as well as oil usage.

They concluded that if the oil met the API requirements, there was really no difference in engine life between various brands of oil. Their comment on the "super premium" oil such as mobil 1, amsoil and such was that if they improved engine life, it was difficult to measure. I would consider NYC taxi service to be severe service with 24 hour operation, and long periods of idle and low speed operation, intermixed with full throttle periods.

The message I took away from that study was that if you used good quality oil, with the correct API spec at the correct viscosity and changed it recommended intervals, then brand really didn't matter.

My personal experience is that high milage engines normally need to come apart when a combination of leaking rear main and front main seals, combined with ring and valve wear increase the oil consumption to over a quart a week, and decreased fuel economy from decreased compression and valve wear makes it economically worthwhile to either pull the motor and rebuild or replace the vehicle.

On the Tacoma operated in climates with salted roads, I expect the bodies to fail long before the engines, even with "dino" oil.

Howard
Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Much depends on your OCI, and you didn't post what that was. Personally, if it's 5K or less, any oil that meets API specs will be more then sufficient. For 8K, any of the Group III "hydro-cracked synthetic" oils will be more then sufficient. For 10K, a Group IV synthetic. For anything over 10K, Group IV and I'd add oil analysis to verify oil health.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
So far it's been Valvoline All Climate 5W-20 (with Toyota filters).
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
mobil 1 in all my newer cars.

brad penn or kendall in my air cooled machine.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 0w20 synthetic, what the owner's manual recommends. I've always had good luck with Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Castrol in all my vehicles. Little known secret, but O'Reilly's brand oil is Mobil 1 in disguise, so I typically get that, it's usually 2 dollars cheaper than anything else too.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Mobil 1 0w20 synthetic, what the owner's manual recommends. I've always had good luck with Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Castrol in all my vehicles. Little known secret, but O'Reilly's brand oil is Mobil 1 in disguise, so I typically get that, it's usually 2 dollars cheaper than anything else too.
Not to hijack this thread, but you know who makes their O'Reilly's GEAR OIL? I picked up a gallon with an LSD rating for the wife's jeep and wondered if it is also an Exxon/Mobile product. Mobil seems to still be a major manufacturer of industrial lubricants, some of which are gear oils in various grades and types.

Howard
Old 10-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 is over priced. I use Quaker State Synthetic. It's $18 for a 5quart jug at Walmart.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
I have been using Mobil 1 in new vehicles for the last 20 years or so...in that time we have not had a an engine issue that involved removing valve covers, oil pan or intake manifold. This includes several vehicles with above 200k on clock.

Our 60's vintage trucks (three of them) get Rotella 15w-40 which has the right additives for flat tappet engines.

About 20 years ago, Consumer Reports did a research project involving most major brands of oil and a fleet of NYC taxis. The rebuilt ALL the engines, put in different brands of oil, in a blind study, ran the engines for roughly 80k miles, and rebuilt them again, measuring oil usage and wear, using camshaft/tappet wear as their major indicator as well as oil usage.

They concluded that if the oil met the API requirements, there was really no difference in engine life between various brands of oil. Their comment on the "super premium" oil such as mobil 1, amsoil and such was that if they improved engine life, it was difficult to measure. I would consider NYC taxi service to be severe service with 24 hour operation, and long periods of idle and low speed operation, intermixed with full throttle periods.

The message I took away from that study was that if you used good quality oil, with the correct API spec at the correct viscosity and changed it recommended intervals, then brand really didn't matter.

My personal experience is that high milage engines normally need to come apart when a combination of leaking rear main and front main seals, combined with ring and valve wear increase the oil consumption to over a quart a week, and decreased fuel economy from decreased compression and valve wear makes it economically worthwhile to either pull the motor and rebuild or replace the vehicle.

On the Tacoma operated in climates with salted roads, I expect the bodies to fail long before the engines, even with "dino" oil.

Howard
Agreed. I put any 5w-30 dino oil i find on sale and change at 3k. Race car gets $15 qt. Oil though.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #18
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
Agreed. I put any 5w-30 dino oil i find on sale and change at 3k. Race car gets $15 qt. Oil though.
you can easily move to a 5k oil change interval...
Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I normally use Penzoil Platinum full synthetic.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
Loves Sammiches.
J Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 25B - IT
Name: Jared
J Rod's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil1 Synthetic 5W30 with Mobil1 Filter. Nothing else touches any of my vehicles.