Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Traction Control

Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
HuntinVA is on a distinguished road
HuntinVA's Tacoma Gallery
Traction Control

Sorry if this question has already been asked. About two weeks ago I "upgraded" from my 04' Tacoma to a new 2012 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport. Is there any way to truly turn the traction control off? I cannot stand it. I drive a gravel road to work everyday and I cannot go around a turn without having the brakes lock up and the engine try and stall itself out, it is a constant battle. I am at the point where I would trade my new truck back for my old one. I just want my truck to drive like a truck.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried VSC Off? I think that's what you're wanting more than traction control, or TRAC Off.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntinVA View Post
Sorry if this question has already been asked. About two weeks ago I "upgraded" from my 04' Tacoma to a new 2012 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport. Is there any way to truly turn the traction control off? I cannot stand it. I drive a gravel road to work everyday and I cannot go around a turn without having the brakes lock up and the engine try and stall itself out, it is a constant battle. I am at the point where I would trade my new truck back for my old one. I just want my truck to drive like a truck.
You can turn it off (holding vsc button for 5 secs stopped) but going over a certain speed turns it back on. You'll have to do the vsc/abs off switch mod.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Paging David K..

Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I just came back with this for the OP.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ar-locker.html
Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
HuntinVA is on a distinguished road
HuntinVA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I just came back with this for the OP.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ar-locker.html
Thanks for the link, that did the trick!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Well, let's play chess.

You're welcome, but you should thank the Champion of ATRAC, David K.

There's been some speculation that Toyota tinkered a little with all the VSC/traction systems in 2012, so you may find a few differences between David's write-up and your truck.

We forgot to welcome you to the forum.

So, um, welcome to the forum!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
You can turn it off (holding vsc button for 5 secs stopped) but going over a certain speed turns it back on. You'll have to do the vsc/abs off switch mod.
Hold for 5 seconds till the light goes out , it will not re-engage unless you are doing something super crazy
Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I drive gravel roads all the time and hardly ever notice the VSC or traction control unless I start sliding around a curve.

The brakes should never lock up and the engine should not stall. You should only get mild brake corrections and, if traction control is engaging, some limiting of throttle. If you don't want it to limit throttle, you should be able to switch to A-LSD.

Describe how you're driving when it locks up the brakes and makes the engine nearly stall.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I drive gravel roads all the time and hardly ever notice the VSC or traction control unless I start sliding around a curve.

The brakes should never lock up and the engine should not stall. You should only get mild brake corrections and, if traction control is engaging, some limiting of throttle. If you don't want it to limit throttle, you should be able to switch to A-LSD.

Describe how you're driving when it locks up the brakes and makes the engine nearly stall.
This.

I think you need to back off the skinny pedal a bit and you won't even notice the traction control system.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post

In a traction control engagement the brakes can and do pulse similar to ABS