Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ticking NOISE?!?!?! Anyone ELSE?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
nammerz is on a distinguished road
nammerz's Tacoma Gallery
Ticking NOISE?!?!?! Anyone ELSE?

So, I just recently got my tacoma, and I just have a question about it. Usually it would sound like i need a valve adjustment, But i took it into a dealer and they said the injectors were just loud. is this a normal thing with tacomas? I don't want them to be BSing me around and just not wanting to do the warranty work. I had alot of things crap out on my previous BMW and im hoping that my tacoma isn't gonna be the same way.

but, on the bright side; my stereo and my Ultimate lift kit from toytec is coming in this week !!!!!

ps. i shouldn't need UCA's on a 3" lift right?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, the tick is (unfortunately) 100% normal on Tacos. If you look around here there are plenty of threads about it. Sorry, I can't answer your UCA question, but I'll give you a bump. Welcome to TW!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Conceal Carry
slodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant future

Name: Steven
slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
Completely normal. I was worried about purchasing mine due to the tick...50k miles later still the same tick at the same volume
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nammerz View Post
So, I just recently got my tacoma, and I just have a question about it. Usually it would sound like i need a valve adjustment, But i took it into a dealer and they said the injectors were just loud. is this a normal thing with tacomas? I don't want them to be BSing me around and just not wanting to do the warranty work. I had alot of things crap out on my previous BMW and im hoping that my tacoma isn't gonna be the same way.

but, on the bright side; my stereo and my Ultimate lift kit from toytec is coming in this week !!!!!

ps. i shouldn't need UCA's on a 3" lift right?
You should replace your uca's with a 3inch lift.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Conceal Carry
slodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant future

Name: Steven
slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
Also i would get uca's with the 3" lift. I just installed my toytec lift with light racing a arms and got my truck aligned and the alignment guy said my suspension was way off and that without the ucas it wouldn't have came out perfect
Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
nammerz is on a distinguished road
nammerz's Tacoma Gallery
haha thanks for the response guys. man this forum is way better than the BMW forum. At least now i know that tick is normal as long as it doesn't start sounding like gun shots we're good. haha. shoot. I thought I was trippin! lol. Its a tough decision on the UCA topic its pretty much 50/50. I guess worse case scenario i can't align my car and gotta wait 5 days for shipping. haha.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Google "Toyota Tick". You'll get a lot of responses about it. I found it out from this site before I noticed it on my truck. It's not going to harm anything on your truck. It's only going to annoying you for a bit and then you'll get use to it. I've heard people say "if you run premium gas it goes away". Running premium doesn't do anything. The "tick" is just one of those quirks these trucks have.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
RedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedDragonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Devin
RedDragonTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the toytec 3" and LR UCA's and love the setup. I hate the ticking noise, I need to get exhaust to help drownd it out
Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I have LR UCA's with my Toytec lift too. May or may not need. I just bought them right off the bat. Could just install as is and see if you can get it aligned within spec without new ones.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1983 View Post
Google "Toyota Tick". You'll get a lot of responses about it. I found it out from this site before I noticed it on my truck. It's not going to harm anything on your truck. It's only going to annoying you for a bit and then you'll get use to it. I've heard people say "if you run premium gas it goes away". Running premium doesn't do anything. The "tick" is just one of those quirks these trucks have.
I don't notice it running on premium unless it is an exceptionally cold day. OP, when I used to run regular, I found that letting the truck warm up at an idle for a few minutes before driving helped.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
I found that letting the truck warm up at an idle for a few minutes before driving helped.
That's not the tick, that's the slap, which some of us have too. Unless you're talking the 87 octane ping, which I definitely get if I run it. The true tick is easiest to hear at idle.

Blasted noisy engine... what a shock coming from my Fit. That L15A1 was so quiet it wasn't audible at all unless the hood was open or the cooling fan kicked on. Too bad they only sold it here for 2 years. It was a marvel of engineered finesse.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Ticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nammerz View Post
So, I just recently got my tacoma, and I just have a question about it. Usually it would sound like i need a valve adjustment, But i took it into a dealer and they said the injectors were just loud. is this a normal thing with tacomas?
The "Search" Function is your friend.

Try here:

"Ticking engine".......(one fix)
By Chris 4x4

CC
Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
Cobalt719 will become famous soon enoughCobalt719 will become famous soon enough

Cobalt719's Tacoma Gallery
Okay so not to beat dead horse. But I'm trying to figure out what the noise I hear is and I've found stuff on pings, ticks and knocks. I have a 4 Cyl and when it is cold outside i hear what i would maybe call a tick (but I supposed it could be a ping or knock?) during acceleration and it will do it anytime I accelerate up until the engine warms up. I'm gonna guess that this is normal from the various topics about it but who knows.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone that has a Toyota or Lexus has a ticking noise and usually 2 different ones. One is from the emissions equipment and the other is from the block being thin aluminum. The internal parts aren't muffled. Not a problem, just noisy!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #16
Cobalt719 will become famous soon enoughCobalt719 will become famous soon enough

Cool thanks!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #17
ssmith29440 is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
ssmith29440's Tacoma Gallery
Mine started ticking after the first oil change.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #18

What year? Did they put in the right oil?
Old 11-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
ssmith29440 is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
ssmith29440's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt719 View Post
What year? Did they put in the right oil?
2012 V6. Service guy said it was a non synthetic and they would see me in 5 K miles or 6months. Whichever comes first.