1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Knock/thunk when braking on 2010 - Axle wrap?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DarrylZ, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Oct 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    DarrylZ

DarrylZ [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Howell NJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Cap
    Hi all. I'm still relatively new on here, though I've compiled a bunch of great info already. I recently noticed a noise when I apply the brakes, and it appears to be coming from the front. Hear it a bit when backing out the driveway, but it's more prominent when going forwards. I would best describe the sound as almost like 2 metal plates banging together...there's no ring or echo. It's not bone-jarring either. Just annoying. I haven't found anything loose in the front-suspension. No sore thumbs sticking out.

I did some searching on TW and found the "axle wrap" topic. Is that what I'm suffering from? It sounds like it's coming from the front, but I know that can sometimes be misleading.

All help is much appreciated...thanks.

2. Oct 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Caliper slap. Ignore.

3. Oct 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    ^^ Yup, its the pads sliding in the caliper. If you pay attention, it will only do it once on the first brake application going forward, and once the next time you apply the brakes in reverse. No biggie, nothing to be worried about, unless it doesn't fit this description.

4. Oct 10, 2012 at 2:07 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    is there a caliper clap fix?

5. Oct 10, 2012 at 2:21 AM
    Junya808

Junya808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma OR 4X4
    Suspension Fronts: Icon Coil Overs Total Chaos UCA Rear: Icon shocks with resivior Icon aal. Interior: Wet okole seat covers Led map and dome lights Lighting: Slimcubby hid 6000k Slimcubby hid fogs 3000k Led parking lights Led license plate lights Led Switchbacks Misc. Mods Rear diff. Breather Mod
    I usually use brake grease or anti seize on the caliper tabs to remedy the caliper clap sound.

6. Oct 10, 2012 at 2:33 AM
    no mods

no mods Well-Known Member

Member:
    cincinnati
    Some stickers
    Why has nobody mentioned the possibility of a failed control arm bushing? There is a good possibility that you have excessive movement when the brakes are applied causing a knock like you describe. Unfortunately, removal of LCA/UCA or a visual confirmation beneath the vehicle during braking is about the only way to see if they are deflecting outside of intended range.

7. Oct 10, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    DarrylZ

DarrylZ [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Howell NJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Cap
    Wow. I almost stated in my OP that it sounded as if the calipers were clanking together. And...it does seem that it only happens once. So, it definitely sounds like it meets the criteria for "caliper slap". I'd be interested in knowing if there's anything that might minimize eliminate it. Sure, I can ignore it...which I've been doing. But seems odd. I examined the control arms last night to see if I maybe had lost a bushing somewhere or to see if there was excessive "play", but didn't see anything. That was before I put my post up.

Thanks for the prompt response. Certainly interested if others have comment.

8. Oct 10, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    MaloneS

MaloneS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    Sold, but going to by another
    Thanks goodness you wrote this up, my 08 dc 4x4 that I just put new wheels and tires on started making this same noise (exactly how you explained it). I am going to have a tech friend of mine check it out just in case.

9. Dec 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    threepeat

threepeat Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Albany, OR
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DC LB
    SnugTop Hi-Liner DynoLock Tailgate Lock Seatsavers for rear seat (dog!)
    My 2010 is doing exactly as described. Reputable shop (Les Schwab) thinks it the LCA bushings. They did let me under and there is movement. But I'm driver, not a mechanic. How much play is normal vs excessive?

As noted I have about 70k on it and very little rough terrain. Mostly highway miles.

ET

Products Discussed in

To Top