Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fog Light Mod 2013

Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #81
linne758 is on a distinguished road
Navy: 1st Class Petty Officer NMCB15
Name: Scott
linne758's Tacoma Gallery
So I just installed my new OEM (Valeo) branded fog lights tonight that came in the mail today. I had already installed the factory switch that i bought at the dealer on Monday. Ordered the Denso relay off ebay, but it's not here yet. Of course I didn't want to wait another day to power up my fogs so I kindly borrowed the relay from the air pump heater switch which sits right next to the fog light location. Bad idea? Seems fine. Of course it's only temporary till the relay gets here.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #82
azchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linne758 View Post
So I just installed my new OEM (Valeo) branded fog lights tonight that came in the mail today. I had already installed the factory switch that i bought at the dealer on Monday. Ordered the Denso relay off ebay, but it's not here yet. Of course I didn't want to wait another day to power up my fogs so I kindly borrowed the relay from the air pump heater switch which sits right next to the fog light location. Bad idea? Seems fine. Of course it's only temporary till the relay gets here.
That one's not the best idea, I bet the fog lights could pull up to 6A and I'm not sure how much overhead they put into that relay. The worse that could happen is you blow a fuse or relay, which is only a couple bucks. It'll probably be fine for a couple days.

Edit: Wait, you just MOVED the relay? That would be fine. I was thinking about taking mine out to see if disabling the air pump throws a CEL.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #83
linne758 is on a distinguished road
Navy: 1st Class Petty Officer NMCB15
Name: Scott
linne758's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it threw a cel. The check engine light came on but I'd rather have the fogs on for a day or two and see that light, especially since there is a crap load of fog. Intemittent wipers up next. It won't stop raining and that fast/ super fast is driving me crazy!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #84
douglasmc is on a distinguished road
Marines: 6531 / Ord Tech.
Name: Matt
douglasmc's Tacoma Gallery
Yea it will throw a code since the pump is an emissions part.. But it should clear itself out after you put it back in
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #85
azchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shed
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
That's too bad, I hate that air pump. My truck sounds like my old Chevy when I turn it on.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #86
13Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
13Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Great Mod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azchris View Post
Hey guys! There's a much easier way to do this mod on a 2013 with no seat heater pins. I just connected my fog relay to the power inverter relay above it, which is switched with the ignition. No need to run a wire to the main fuse box, and you can fit the lid back on with no additional cutting. Use the AC SKT pin closest to the fog relay. I just jammed a wire in it, and then crimped a female terminal onto the other end and put that on the bent fog spade.

Hey Chris thanks! This mod worked great and only took a few minutes. Have always had a 4X4 but this is my first TACO. Previously owned 05 Cummins and 00 F250 7.3L.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #87
13Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
13Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Heres some Pics!

Pictures with the Fog Light Mod!
Attached Thumbnails
Fog Light Mod 2013-image.jpg   Fog Light Mod 2013-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #88
Sargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to all

Law Enforcement: Sgt. L.A. Sheriff, (Ret.)
Sargechris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys! There's a much easier way to do this mod on a 2013 with no seat heater pins. I just connected my fog relay to the power inverter relay above it, which is switched with the ignition. No need to run a wire to the main fuse box, and you can fit the lid back on with no additional cutting. Use the AC SKT pin closest to the fog relay. I just jammed a wire in it, and then crimped a female terminal onto the other end and put that on the bent fog spade.

I tried & tried.. but couldn't get the connector on the bent relay to fit between the plastic housing and the relay?? I tried the "inside" tab also--but that made the fog lamps stay on with the key...

How in the world did you get the connector fit? (I have studied the pics, but must be very dense... )
Old 04-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #89
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargechris View Post
I tried & tried.. but couldn't get the connector on the bent relay to fit between the plastic housing and the relay?? I tried the "inside" tab also--but that made the fog lamps stay on with the key...

How in the world did you get the connector fit? (I have studied the pics, but must be very dense... )
I put the crimp terminal on the relay tab with the relay outside of the box, and very slowly bent both the relay tab and the crimp terminal at the same time until the terminal went nearly straight up the side (like you see in the pic). Then I re-installed the relay and connected the other end of the wire to the AC SKT relay.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #90
Sargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to all

Law Enforcement: Sgt. L.A. Sheriff, (Ret.)
Sargechris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I put the crimp terminal on the relay tab with the relay outside of the box, and very slowly bent both the relay tab and the crimp terminal at the same time until the terminal went nearly straight up the side (like you see in the pic). Then I re-installed the relay and connected the other end of the wire to the AC SKT relay.
Thanks ! I was afraid to bend the tab more than 90*... I'll give it another go..

Old 04-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #91
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargechris View Post
Thanks ! I was afraid to bend the tab more than 90*... I'll give it another go..

It'll go a bit further with a little persuasion... Just be slow & careful
Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #92
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Gee just like I'd mentioned awhile ago.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...l-off-ign.html
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #93
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
Gee just like I'd mentioned awhile ago.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...l-off-ign.html
Well aren't you special Also, the whole point was to avoid pulling the fuse box apart. Crimp terminal takes 2 seconds.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #94
PnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B Infantryman (Vet.)
Name: chris
PnoyBOS5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I just did this and it works great, however:

I have to make sure I manually click the foglights to go off or they dont go off when I take the key out.

I can roll the windows up/down without the key in the ignition at all

Lastly, The AC Inverter can work without the keys in the ignition at all.

I have no problem clicking them off just making sure I am not draining my battery without knowing it, Is this occuring to you guys who did this wiring mod too?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #95
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97PinoyTacoma View Post
I just did this and it works great, however:

I have to make sure I manually click the foglights to go off or they dont go off when I take the key out.

I can roll the windows up/down without the key in the ignition at all

Lastly, The AC Inverter can work without the keys in the ignition at all.

I have no problem clicking them off just making sure I am not draining my battery without knowing it, Is this occuring to you guys who did this wiring mod too?
Nope, I leave the switch clicked in all the time without any of those effects. This should only give power to the fogs relay when the truck is running. Does this only occur with the wire mod? In other words, if you remove the mod, can you still use the AC inverter and windows with the key out?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #96
PnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B Infantryman (Vet.)
Name: chris
PnoyBOS5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nope, I leave the switch clicked in all the time without any of those effects. This should only give power to the fogs relay when the truck is running. Does this only occur with the wire mod? In other words, if you remove the mod, can you still use the AC inverter and windows with the key out?
Yeah it only occurs with the wire mod, I know because I put it back to stock.

I just now redid it and its working fine and back to normal .. lol weird? Maybe user error... Thanks for the easy, clean, reversible mod!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #97
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97PinoyTacoma View Post
Yeah it only occurs with the wire mod, I know because I put it back to stock.

I just now redid it and its working fine and back to normal .. lol weird? Maybe user error... Thanks for the easy, clean, reversible mod!
Probably just had a little strand of wire crossed onto one of the other terminals, I've done that before and had some pretty strange behavior.

Yeah, I like this vs. running it under the fuse box because this can be taken out in two seconds for warranty work or whatever.