1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tranny Oil Change...DIY?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KAGING, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Oct 10, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    KAGING

KAGING [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    just call me "KAGS"
    OC
    Vehicle:
    RED PreRunner SR5 Short Bed
    Flowmaster Exhaust 50 Series, BLHM, Toyota Tube Step & Bed Extender, Bike Rack Mount on Bed, Windows & Bug Deflector, Emblems & TRD Stickers Off, Grill Rims Caliper Drum Tube Step Painted.....
    How many of you guys here have done (DIY) the Tranny Oil Change on your truck? How many miles u have when u did? Did u have any problem after a weeks/months?

2. Oct 11, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    This is a ten minute job...loosen fill plug, remove drain plug, clean and replace drain plug with a dab of gasket goo, refill.

Howard

3. Oct 11, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    are we taking AT or MT...I was thinking MT

4. Oct 11, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    on an auto it's a bitch... recommended service is when? 100k me thinks?

I'd let the dealer do it... :laugh:

5. Oct 11, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    100K interval is BS.
    It should be 60K
    Also dealer is fine if you find one that will do this since tech guys dont like to touch those transmissions.

6. Oct 11, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Its just such a pain in the ass without normal fill :laugh:

7. Oct 11, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i paid $190 for mine..all new toyota fluid.

next time, i may try it myself..it didnt seem that hard..not even for a full flush. i did it at 65k...but i use my truck in some nasty shit.

8. Oct 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    KAGING

KAGING [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    just call me "KAGS"
    OC
    Vehicle:
    RED PreRunner SR5 Short Bed
    Flowmaster Exhaust 50 Series, BLHM, Toyota Tube Step & Bed Extender, Bike Rack Mount on Bed, Windows & Bug Deflector, Emblems & TRD Stickers Off, Grill Rims Caliper Drum Tube Step Painted.....
    How many quarts did u guys used for just empty and fill up only?

9. Oct 13, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    wyotaco06

wyotaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Offroad 4x4 06
    So, a year ago or so I took my pickup in for a "flush" and all they did was a drain and fill.....even though they said they flushed it, the service ticket only charged 4qrts of WS fluid and none of the oiler cooler lines had been touched. After a conversation with the service manager, he admitted that they do not do flushes on the auto tranny. Pretty lame IMO and false advertising but oh well...

Question is, now I want to just do my own drain and fill. It should be up to spec with the correct amount of fluid since the dealer did the initial change.

Can I just drain the pan, measure how much came out, and add in the same amount drained. I just dont want to get involved with jumping the computer and getting the temp up to spec. Damn transmission scares me to work on but I dont want to pay the dealer to do it again:cool:

10. Oct 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    How about going to an actual reputable shop rather then the dealer to flush a auto tranny?

11. Oct 13, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    x2

12. Oct 13, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    My dealer told me the same thing this week when I picked mine up after bringing it in to get mine flushed. I figured they didn't want to touch it but yet I emphasized flush when I made the appointment and when I spoke to the service manager when I dropped it off. The paperwork only showed a drain and fill for about $80 less than quoted.

13. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Dealers are not equipped and Toyota specifies NOT to flush the autos in these trucks.

Frankly, I agree with that. A flush is never really necessary in a modern auto trans, only regular drain and fills. How regular depends on usage of the vehicle.

If you DD your tacoma and it never leaves the street, I'd drain/fill every 50 to 60k. If there is hard use like towing, I'd drain/fill every 30k. If there's severe use like offroading that will likely incur high-heat situations as well, I'd do it every 20k or so.

Personally, I drain/fill once per year or every 10k, whichever comes first. But my truck does hardass work on a regular basis.

14. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Most service centers have a flush unit for trasmission flushes; they just hook up the in/out lines to the radiator and cycle enough fluid to flush everything. Then do the same to the radiator itself. And done.

Toyota Dealerships, specifically, don't have equipment appropriate for our trans because Toyota claims trans fluid flushes for these transmissions to do not exist as a service item...only drain/fills.

So I guess the technical answer is if you had a tech that knew their ass from a cowbell, knew the vehicle well enough, and knew the equipment well enough, they could do the flush. But they won't, because of organizational/company policy, in most instances.

You can always take it to another service center for a flush, but most of them are confused by the fact that 2gen autos don't have a dipstick for level check, but rather a secondary fill-level plug that is only accurate at a certain temperature. For this reason, many non-dealer service options will not service the trans with a full flush, but will instead simply drain/fill.

Seriously though, modern machining and materials specs are so precise that new auto-trans do not shed nearly the volume of particulates that they did in the 70s/80s when they were still relatively new in mass market vehicles. What particulates they do shed at spec'd to be held in suspension by the fluid or internal screens/filters during the original engineering of the part.

This is why Toyota claims the transmission never needs to be serviced under normal use, only regularly inspected.

The problem comes when you drift outside their definition of normal fucking use. Apparently, anything you would want four wheel drive or a truck bed for is classified as "abuse".

15. Oct 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    :notsure:

Some dealers do have machines that will work. Being in a more urban area raises your chances.

Most will try to sell you *away* from it as it's not scheduled service. But who knows...all stealerships are a little different.

16. Oct 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Seems you get a different answer with whoever you talk to at the dealerships. My service manager said they do a complete flush and the guy at the counter wrote it up as such. The mechanic said they only do drain/fill on our trucks. I ended up having it done at around 19,000 miles which was 5 years. I think Toyota recommends every 60,000 or 72 months...whichever comes first.

Products Discussed in

To Top