Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Scraped bottom on a speed bump - now MPG is suffering.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #21
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Different states, different brands, different gas, different mpg. Not all gasoline is made exactly the same so it could just be VA gas vs RI gas.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #22
wh013mi1k has a spectacular aura aboutwh013mi1k has a spectacular aura about
wh013mi1k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
Different states, different brands, different gas, different mpg. Not all gasoline is made exactly the same so it could just be VA gas vs RI gas.
This would be the only time in history Rhode Island didn't suck the worst out of all the states. I should inform the media.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh013mi1k View Post
This would be the only time in history Rhode Island didn't suck the worst out of all the states. I should inform the media.
Well hold on now... lets not get ahead of ourselves
Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #24
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wasn't bottom out as much as scraped the bottom of the truck right behind the front tires - I didn't accelerate but wasn't on the brake either.
So your mudflaps hit...?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #25
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
It sounds like you scraped the stock (ridiculously long) mud flaps on the speed bump. I doubt any structural part of your truck actually touched the speed bumps.
Dis
Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #26
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Not winter gas, but different local fuels. Different areas have different fuel blends. Give it a tank or two and see what happens. We got some bad fuel on the motorcycles recently and lost 5 mpg for a couple of tanks.

Howard
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #27
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
It sounds like you scraped the stock (ridiculously long) mud flaps on the speed bump. I doubt any structural part of your truck actually touched the speed bumps.
This, those things get hung up on everything. And I am with whipper on the winter mix part, it is about that time of year. I am not entirely certain what they do to fuel in winter either, but I think they add special additives to keep it from freezing in your fuel lines or something. These in turn make mpg go down somehow.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #28
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm willing to bet my paycheck that it was the mudflaps (my memory of the sound is consistent with what plastic scraping vs. metal scraping would sound like). I just have to wait until lunch for me to run out there and look for the rub marks.
The mud flaps are hard plastic, this is very possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Winter fuel reduces fuel mileage. I believe it is because it has more ethanol in it.
IIRC its an anti-freeze additive. More glycol based then ethanol
Quote:
There's not enough room on my rear window with all of the Hello Kitty decals I put on before my trip.
Your my god damned hero.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #29
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
not sure about the ethanol part...

winter fuel was around before the idiots in DC started pushing the corn gas on us.

and, I believe the percent of ethanol must be posted on the pump by law.

use more than 10% on some vehicles and it will mess them up good. Even the 10% plays havoc on many boat motors and fuel tanks/fuel systems.

Ethanol is one of the dumbest things ever.
Ethanol stores 90% as much energy as gasoline by volume, so at a 10% mix, E10 stores 99% as much energy as straight gasoline. By example, that means dropping from, say 20 mpg to 19.8.

Winter gas is more about ease of starting than about keeping water contamination from freezing into ice. Take your summer gas down to -30 degrees, it has a lower vapor pressure, i.e., lower volatility, and much more difficult to ignite. Manipulating the fuel to increase the vapor pressure is done to make it easier to ignite the fuel while also maintaining an acceptable "at temperature" tendency towards ignition. That is an important balance, because otherwise, when the engine warms up, it would start into preignition.

So what they effectively do is alter the fuel to use a higher portion of smaller and more volatile hydrocarbons, which store significantly less energy per unit of volume. This has far far more effect on the fuel consumption than the ethanol content.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #30
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #31
To close the loop on this (because I like to finish everything) - the winner of the "Tacoma Scrape Sweepstakes" is....

Pugga. He was right [first] - It was the goddamn mudflaps.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and insights. This is a great community and I'm happy to have stumbled upon and become a part of it.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #32
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Ethanol stores 90% as much energy as gasoline by volume, so at a 10% mix, E10 stores 99% as much energy as straight gasoline. By example, that means dropping from, say 20 mpg to 19.8.

Winter gas is more about ease of starting than about keeping water contamination from freezing into ice. Take your summer gas down to -30 degrees, it has a lower vapor pressure, i.e., lower volatility, and much more difficult to ignite. Manipulating the fuel to increase the vapor pressure is done to make it easier to ignite the fuel while also maintaining an acceptable "at temperature" tendency towards ignition. That is an important balance, because otherwise, when the engine warms up, it would start into preignition.

So what they effectively do is alter the fuel to use a higher portion of smaller and more volatile hydrocarbons, which store significantly less energy per unit of volume. This has far far more effect on the fuel consumption than the ethanol content.
Haha

You're banned
Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #33
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you bottomed out the suspension, any scraping you heard was probably just the mud flaps hitting the speed bump. My mud flaps would scrape the speed bumps occassionally at my old apartment complex. There's nothing else low enough on the truck to scrape over a speed bump. As far as the MPG loss, it's likely just due to the highway run. I typically experience a drop in MPG on extended highway runs also. When you get back to your normal routine, your mileage should go back to where it was.
This is what I'm thinking..

Also OP, what is the difference in your normal driving conditions vs the road trip you went on? These can certainly change things up.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha88 View Post
Also OP, what is the difference in your normal driving conditions vs the road trip you went on? These can certainly change things up.
I subscribe to the scientific method - so take this with a grain of salt. But the road down to VA I got 18 mpg (all highway) using RI gas; on the way home to RI (all highway again) I got 16 mpg on gas. I use cruise control ~74 mph all the way and maintain as I usually drive at times with no traffic. What the group consensus of "winter" or regional gas would make sense.

However, before I definitely say that this is the case I would want to repeat the same conditions on my next trip; however, if RI switches to their "winter blend" before Thanksgiving (which is probably likely) I wouldn't be able to test.

THAT, and I'm way too deep on something so trivial at this point
Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #35
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
To close the loop on this (because I like to finish everything) - the winner of the "Tacoma Scrape Sweepstakes" is....

Pugga. He was right [first] - It was the goddamn mudflaps.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and insights. This is a great community and I'm happy to have stumbled upon and become a part of it.

What did I win?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What did I win?
Respect, Pugga... respect.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #37

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Respect, Pugga... respect.
word
Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #38
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Haha

You're banned
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #39
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I subscribe to the scientific method - so take this with a grain of salt. But the road down to VA I got 18 mpg (all highway) using RI gas; on the way home to RI (all highway again) I got 16 mpg on gas. I use cruise control ~74 mph all the way and maintain as I usually drive at times with no traffic. What the group consensus of "winter" or regional gas would make sense.

However, before I definitely say that this is the case I would want to repeat the same conditions on my next trip; however, if RI switches to their "winter blend" before Thanksgiving (which is probably likely) I wouldn't be able to test.

THAT, and I'm way too deep on something so trivial at this point

Welcome aboard wh013mi1k! Yep those @&%$# mudflaps are way too low. Alot of guys here either take them off or trim and inch or two for more clearance. As far as your mpg i was wondering...between your test trips is there much elevation difference?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #40
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Geez, it's so simple. Going to VA you are headed down, to RI you are headed up. Look at a freakin map.