Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Supercharger vs. turbocharger

Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
a small turbo will have a lot less lag. if ur just lookin for a couple psi i think a small turbo would do the trick and not have to change the guts out since it wouldn't be pushing it anywhere near 400hp. the way i look at it if ur off road and ur turbo goes out u can still drive home, if ur SC goes out u better have ur pushing gloves. and a little bit of lag will help the traction break that occurs with a SC. I've never drove a gas turbo'd vehicle but i've drove a few diesels, and i kinda like it when the boost kicks in after u get goin its kinda like sprayin NOS... kinda cool IMHO. either will get u results but im a turbo fan.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #22
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
What's NOS?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #23
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, and what does South Carolina have to do with forced induction?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Yeah, and what does South Carolina have to do with forced induction?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #25
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
What's NOS?
sorry its a name brand (i'm from AL and we pretty much call everything buy a name brand instead of what it actually is) what i should of said was nitros oxide (NO2)
Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #26
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota243 View Post
sorry its a name brand (i'm from AL and we pretty much call everything buy a name brand instead of what it actually is) what i should of said was nitros oxide (NO2)
I know what it is. I'm just giving you a hard time for the ricer talk.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #27
ryanr623 is on a distinguished road
ryanr623's Tacoma Gallery
Turbo
-Free power, not parasitic, fed by exhaust
-Ability to increase boost VERY easily by boost controller install to control wastegate
-Better fuel economy when driven within reason
-Easy to increase power with minor mods (downpipe, intake.... anything that eliminates pressure drops)
-downside is lag, freeing up the exhaust restrictions helps, but it'll always be there.

SC
-Mechanically fed by belt, takes HP to run it
-Instant power
-Have to change pulleys to change boost and RPM dependant

I would choose a turbo any day of the week. Have had both. Can't go wrong with either though.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #28
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
You can get instant power with either option and with today's technology the 'lag' and 'loss' characteristics are pretty much a moot point.

You can also build any amount of boost you want with either application, so stating that 1 or the other will make more boost is completely false. Put a 1" pulley on the TRD SC and see how much boost you create?

A small turbo will spool instantly at low RPM's, and with variable vane technology and 100 other tech's you can include the turbo will be ready at any time to deliver power. Yes LARGE turbos on small displacement engines do lag, but you are shooting for a different goal with those applications, not a large range of power.

Same can be said with a SC, you can create more boost but at more loss or cost; and really the same is true with the turbo. Power is NEVER free no matter what you do.

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, it's a fundamental property of physics.

Generally I look at it this way. An inline, 'I', engine is basically easier to turbo, you have 1 side for exhaust and 1 side for the intake. Makes routing and intercooling easy. On 'V' type engines you have 2 routes for the exhaust and intake piping (joining in the center), which makes it more involved for either a single or dual turbo set-up so arguably they are easier to supercharge and incorporate it all into the intake plenum.

In the end..just buy the TRD set-up with a warranty.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #29
BIG357 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
BIG357's Tacoma Gallery
I know I'm new here but I was at a place this past weekend called Badboy TOYS in virginia, I was there talking about how to get horsepower gains and he said that 05-12 tacomas can get there biggest gains by sending out your computer to a company in california and having it re-flashed, claims there is a 50-96 hp range within the 3.7 & 4.0that can be obtained. I have an 09 but is still under factory warranty which is voided once this procedure is completed. I am not sure if his numbers are correct but I know that I am having JBA put on at the dealership and that the computer is being reflashed to obtain there performance. DOES THIS MAKE SENSE
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #30
Banned
You cannot send the ECU to be reflashed. Only Toyota can flash it for the TRD supercharger tune and they can't even restore it to factory specs once they flash it.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #31
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG357 View Post
I know I'm new here but I was at a place this past weekend called Badboy TOYS in virginia, I was there talking about how to get horsepower gains and he said that 05-12 tacomas can get there biggest gains by sending out your computer to a company in california and having it re-flashed, claims there is a 50-96 hp range within the 3.7 & 4.0that can be obtained. I have an 09 but is still under factory warranty which is voided once this procedure is completed. I am not sure if his numbers are correct but I know that I am having JBA put on at the dealership and that the computer is being reflashed to obtain there performance. DOES THIS MAKE SENSE
No.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #32
BIG357's Tacoma Gallery
The company name I believe is Evolutionm and I reasearched a bit and found that there are companies that have obtained software from Toyota TSI. I am not sure about this because once he said voids warranty I was not interested. However I know for sure with my air, exhaust and headers being installed by Toyota they are reflahing themselves. It was the only way I could have headers installed and maintain my warranty.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #33
Banned
Mods do not void warranty unless they cause an OEM part to fail. Also Toyota lubed you well because they do not flash for mods. How much did you pay for the work?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #34
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota doesnt mess with the ecu when they add parts, except for supercharger of course.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #35
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
The company name I believe is Evolutionm and I reasearched a bit and found that there are companies that have obtained software from Toyota TSI. I am not sure about this because once he said voids warranty I was not interested. However I know for sure with my air, exhaust and headers being installed by Toyota they are reflahing themselves. It was the only way I could have headers installed and maintain my warranty.
This site? I don't see a lot of Toyota love happening on a Mitsubishi enthusiast forum, and I don't see any reflash services offered.

Going back to the "claims there is a 50-96 hp range" claim. If a simple reflash was all it took for gains like that, why would people bother with a TRD supercharger?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #36
BIG357's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased magnaflow exhaust with catbacks w/dual exits, K&N air & JBA shorty headers myself pd 1300. for install of all, the headers were like 800. of install. I also had a bull bar put on while I was there and that was another 90.00. I hope I didnt get hosed. The mechanic litterally said had to flash for headers was no additional charge on bill for that.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #37
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, a maf cal is much cheaper than a TRD S/C. Haha.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #38
Banned
Quote:
I purchased magnaflow exhaust with catbacks w/dual exits, K&N air & JBA shorty headers myself pd 1300. for install of all, the headers were like 800. of install. I also had a bull bar put on while I was there and that was another 90.00. I hope I didnt get hosed. The mechanic litterally said had to flash for headers was no additional charge on bill for that.
Yeah Toyota mechanics are idiots. There was no charge because there was no flash done.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #39
tacomatic1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Devin
tacomatic1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
From a pure scientific standpoint that is impossible. We are talking a 21-40% increase in power. That means you would have to adjust your fuel maps by that much. In other words, you would be flowing 21-40% more fuel. In order for that to jive with your ecu to maintain stoich AFR (or richer), you would need increased air flow. You cannot get increased air flow in that magnitude without forced induction.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #40
BIG357's Tacoma Gallery
I guess my question is, did I pay to much for what I had done? I am having a readylift leveling done as we speak and I am paying 250. for install and another 150. to put bilstein shocks/struts front and rear at trick trucks.