Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Impressive HP from 4.0L

Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #21
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
A guy I work with has a new Wrangler... It is VERY underpowered. It can't get out of its own way on the freeway which is the only place most wranglers will ever see
3.8 or 3.6? The 3.8 was junk but the new Pentastar puts out a decent amount of power. 285hp and 265tq.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #22
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I like good old fashioned horsepower. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4DjC...yer_detailpage
Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #23
Vantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Vantage's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see the 4.0L as impressive anymore.

In 2005 it was a great engine.

2008 it was ok.

2010+ it was in need of a change, and got it in the 4runner.

The dual VVT-i engine should be in the Tacoma to bring it up to date, I have no idea why Toyota would continue to use such old technology when they have a very similar engine with more power and MPG in another vehicle.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post

In 2005 it was a great engine.

2008 it was ok.

2010+ it was in need of a change, and got it in the 4runner.

The dual VVT-i engine should be in the Tacoma to bring it up to date, I have no idea why Toyota would continue to use such old technology when they have a very similar engine with more power and MPG in another vehicle.
How is DOHC, variable valve timing and COP old technology?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #25
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Even with good tires you really have to take it easy with these trucks. I've spun the wheels more than once pulling out into traffic and barely had my foot on the gas. Of coarse the light back end doesn't help matters...
Old 10-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #26
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
3.8 or 3.6? The 3.8 was junk but the new Pentastar puts out a decent amount of power. 285hp and 265tq.
I don't have the answer to that. I just know we went for a drive and it was pretty bad. He even knows it too... Probably why he got such a good deal on it ha
Old 10-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #27
Vantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Vantage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How is DOHC, variable valve timing and COP old technology?
Because its been out since the 80's.

Honda has been doing DOHC Dual VVT (Vtec) since 1988.

Toyota started with VVT in 1991.

Honda started with VVTi (i-Vtec) in 2003

Toyota Started with VVTi in 2005.

Direct Injection is new "new" technology.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #28
Banned
Quote:
Because its been out since the 80's.
COP is fairly new technology.

Really though you should never buy anything is you are worried about what the newer model has over what you got.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #29
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
"Impressive" takes on a lot of metrics.

The 4.0 is bulletproof and churns out a lot of torque. It's startlingly easy to maintain. You have your choice of Octanes.

It is not a technological marvel, nor an extremely efficient or high-powered mill. But really, for my truck, I'm more concerned with durability and easy service.

There are plenty of options out there for engines with the newest tech. The Toyobaru Scion FR-S and it's subie-sourced engine for one. Which is having a LOT of teething problems. New is not always better.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #30

Vantage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
"Impressive" takes on a lot of metrics.

The 4.0 is bulletproof and churns out a lot of torque. It's startlingly easy to maintain. You have your choice of Octanes.

It is not a technological marvel, nor an extremely efficient or high-powered mill. But really, for my truck, I'm more concerned with durability and easy service.

There are plenty of options out there for engines with the newest tech. The Toyobaru Scion FR-S and it's subie-sourced engine for one. Which is having a LOT of teething problems. New is not always better.

I drove a friends FR-S before he sold it. Both him and I agreed it was highly underpowered.

My family sedan (VW GLI) Had gobs more power; albeit turbo. I even like my old Civic Si's 2.0L engine better.

There is no way you can tell me that the dual VVT-i engine is going to be any less durable than the current version in the Tacoma, and it achieves something like 270hp and 290 trq?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #31
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
yea i think my 1gr's power-band is broken. everybody with other motors talk about how there power-band kicks in between certain rpms, but mine seems to make the same power from idle to redline. gosh toyota when are you gunna get these things figured out? (insert sarcasm)
Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #32
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I drove a friends FR-S before he sold it. Both him and I agreed it was highly underpowered.

My family sedan (VW GLI) Had gobs more power; albeit turbo. I even like my old Civic Si's 2.0L engine better.

There is no way you can tell me that the dual VVT-i engine is going to be any less durable than the current version in the Tacoma, and it achieves something like 270hp and 290 trq?

You're responding to a bunch of things I'm not talking about.

Let me try to get more basic:

"The 4.0 does a great job at the things I most want my truck engine to do a great job at. It's technology is not especially new and I don't care."

Easier?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #33
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Some trucks are built for doing work. I just wish they sold them here in North America, that's all.

The 4.0 is a fantastic petro motor. I'm just sick of talking about horsepower, because that's not the metric that matters in a truck. Want horsepower? Mustangs and Camaros are right over there, and the top trim units with the big V8s clock in right around the same price as our trucks. Shitloads of horsepower. Good luck towing with them.
Ya , I was kinda kidding about the Hilux
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #34
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
I'm impressed that mine still starts. This motor has lasted me longer than my last 4 engines combined, and I have been much harder on it. It survived 3 years of autobahn abuse, 3 years of the mojave desert WOT, and a year of the mountains of Oregon. Impressive power? no. Tough as a hobnail? absofuckinglutely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8sps...GRA&playnext=1

It might not be much power, but it gets the job done.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #36
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I'm impressed that mine still starts. This motor has lasted me longer than my last 4 engines combined, and I have been much harder on it. It survived 3 years of autobahn abuse, 3 years of the mojave desert WOT, and a year of the mountains of Oregon. Impressive power? no. Tough as a hobnail? absofuckinglutely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8sps...GRA&playnext=1

It might not be much power, but it gets the job done.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #37
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
People forget, or maybe never realized, that one reason Toyota engines last so long is because they design them to run at low internal stress levels. That means a little less HP per cube. That's the way I would design one if I were doing it too. I think the 4.0 is a damn great engine in every way that counts. Where Toyota missed the boat I think is the gearing they offer. It's useless for truck purposes.

As stated earlier, HP means nothing in a truck motor and comparing a truck motor to a sportscar motor is equally meaningless. A brand new Kenworth 12.9 liter engine puts out just 450 hp. Anybody thinks it's underpowered?

cars : trucks = apples : oranges
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #38
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He said first 3 years were on the Autobahn, and with 2k on the odo it is very likely he was there...
Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #39
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
He said first 3 years were on the Autobahn, and with 2k on the odo it is very likely he was there...
Hmmmmm. Maybe no lock? It is still a slow turd.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Where Toyota missed the boat I think is the gearing they offer. It's useless for truck purposes.
Trying to make peace with all-important CAFE.

I understand why they did it, but that doesn't mean I like it any better. 4.56s on 33s is perfect. 4.0L Autos from factory would do well with 4.10s on 31s.

Properly geared truck should be reluctant to go over 70mph IMO and have a beautiful under-10-mph crawl.