Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Impressive HP from 4.0L

Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #41
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I think people need to stop bitching and they should just make their own cars.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #42
brianv3ntura is on a distinguished road
brianv3ntura's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
Just as a testament to this ^, look at Subbie's 2.5l engines in their WRX's they're making 250hp with almost half the displacement in the base engine. Up to 300 for the high end engine.
Meh. They are turbocharged so it really isn't all that impressive

What impresses me out of the boxer engines is the FA20 in the FRS/BRZ/GT86. Its only a 2.0L NA 200hp engine,but the stock internals are sooo beefy compared to the WRX STI motor
Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #43
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I think people need to stop bitching and they should just make their own cars.
Agreed. Sure having lots of power makes for a fun vehicle(not always). Most people with trucks use it for what it is and thats a truck for towing/hauling. I find that the power I have under the hood is good enough for now but soon its either going to be S/C or turbo'ed because I want to be an X-Runner haha.

I am happy with the torque I get at 3600rpms!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #44
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
I'm very happy with my 4.0L. It seems even more torquey than back in 2007. It now has 110k on the odo and seems to be going into a level of break-in that makes it feel like I'm driving a small block. It has almost effortless acceleration like it's barely even trying.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #45
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Trying to make peace with all-important CAFE.

I understand why they did it, but that doesn't mean I like it any better. 4.56s on 33s is perfect. 4.0L Autos from factory would do well with 4.10s on 31s.

Properly geared truck should be reluctant to go over 70mph IMO and have a beautiful under-10-mph crawl.
My views too. I'm running 4:56 with 32's and 6spd. I consider my top highway cruising speed to be around 65. 4:30 would have been my choice, if it were an option. Tacoma is a showcase of compromise to CAFE, and just how wrong things can go. I do think the driving public has changed as well. In the 70's nobody drove a truck unless they needed a TRUCK. The idea of the "sport truck" was pretty foriegn. The idea of the truck as a car was addressed by the El Camino and the Ranchero. But anyway,..... you can never go back home.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #46
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
So what happened between 2005 and 2006? Not that the difference is even noticeable but the 05 V6 Tacoma is rated at 245hp and 282 ftlbs.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #47
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
So what happened between 2005 and 2006? Not that the difference is even noticeable but the 05 V6 Tacoma is rated at 245hp and 282 ftlbs.
Rating procedures changed
Old 10-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #49
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Heck I am impressed with my 2.7's power, Toyota isn't perfect, no manufacturer is, but Toyota builds their stuff right. 159hp is close to the amount of a stock 289 Ford small block V8 used in Mustangs from the 60s. Honda and Subaru make peppy little 4 bangers that will run away from most stock muscle cars.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #50
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
They changed the rating methods. The trucks have precisely identical drivetrains. Newer ratings are more honest.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #51
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gotcha. Makes sense.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #52
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I love my truck. It's the first one I've actually paid off and will own until it dies which won't be any time soon. I can pull away from traffic with ease. I live 5 miles from work so I fill up maybe 3 times a month. I can haul/tow anything I'll ever need to. It's safe for the family. It looks bad ass.

Comparing it to an engine that came out 30 years ago is stupid.

Comparing it to an engine that just came out this year is stupid.

"That's all I have to say about that." - Forrest Gump
Old 10-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #53
zackn291 is on a distinguished road

Name: Zack
zackn291's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgroce View Post
I wonder if it would even spin with TRAC...............maybe if it was off

Oh believe me Taco tires spin, the whole truck spins too. I beat on mine the first week I got it. I've gave it a rest since then lol
Old 10-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #54
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackn291 View Post
Oh believe me Taco tires spin, the whole truck spins too. I beat on mine the first week I got it. I've gave it a rest since then lol
With the newer traction control systems, they don't.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #55

Even with the VSC off, my auto wouldn't spin the factory size tires without power breaking it. I'm running 33's with 4.88 gears now and it is still the same. Well, unless I am turning left or right from a 4 way stop and punch it while turning then it will spin the inside tire pretty good, but it stops spinning as soon as I am straight again.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #56
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Consider: the Lexus LS400 was making 280 hp from its 4.0L V8 two decades ago, without VVTi. By 1998, the same engine in the GS400 trim was making 300 hp and 310 lb-ft.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #57
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackn291 View Post
Mine only spins when the pavement is wet, not moist but wet. And a all four burn out is impossible on pavement, at least from my experience.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #58
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Consider: the Lexus LS400 was making 280 hp from its 4.0L V8 two decades ago, without VVTi. By 1998, the same engine in the GS400 trim was making 300 hp and 310 lb-ft.
At what RPM? You can get 190hp from a 1 liter engine at 13,000 RPM. I could care less about anything above 3,000
Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #59
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Try driving with the OEM Dunlops for a while! If I'm on freshly wet grooved pavement I can break 'em free in third just goosing the gas a bit, and I have had both light up with a rough shift to fourth, it scares me every time... speedo will jump a good 15 mph before the cluster lights up like a christmas tree and the throttle limiter kicks in.

The truck still brakes fine in those conditions though, unless it's a super panic stop, so I blame it largely on weight distribution.

I always thought the 4.0L felt like the old 302 v8 F150 I used to drive, just with extra RPM to play with. That motor was rated 185 hp, 270 lb-ft, and redlined at 4400. It twisted the frame a bit too.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #60
zackn291 is on a distinguished road

Name: Zack
zackn291's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

oh okay.

I can be just idling around in a parking lot for example and punch it, turn the wheel and I'm sideways all day long. Truck loves doing donuts. I only did that twice, get hard on it ya know. Also burnouts, she will hold a burnout all day long. If I'm at a stop light turning left or right and I stand on it, she will get sideways. If I'm driving down the road, slowing down to make a turn, I can downshift into second so I'm doing about 20kmh revving at 2500-3000 rpm I can punch it and It goes right sideways and it wants to come right around.
This was with stock size Toyo Open Country M/Ts. Since then I've got new tires and I've continued to drive like a normal human being.