Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Impressive HP from 4.0L

Old 10-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #61
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackn291 View Post
oh okay.

I can be just idling around in a parking lot for example and punch it, turn the wheel and I'm sideways all day long. Truck loves doing donuts. I only did that twice, get hard on it ya know. Also burnouts, she will hold a burnout all day long. If I'm at a stop light turning left or right and I stand on it, she will get sideways. If I'm driving down the road, slowing down to make a turn, I can downshift into second so I'm doing about 20kmh revving at 2500-3000 rpm I can punch it and It goes right sideways and it wants to come right around.
This was with stock size Toyo Open Country M/Ts. Since then I've got new tires and I've continued to drive like a normal human being.
In your '05, right? Which doen't have VSC, Trac, Atrac, blah, blah, blah. Not all 2nd gens are equal.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #62
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
With the newer traction control systems, they don't.
Yeah about that. There is an off button.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #63
zackn291 is on a distinguished road

Name: Zack
zackn291's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
In your '05, right? Which doen't have VSC, Trac, Atrac, blah, blah, blah. Not all 2nd gens are equal.

Yea I don't got any of that junk. Just auto tranny.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #65
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
Just as a testament to this ^, look at Subbie's 2.5l engines in their WRX's they're making 250hp with almost half the displacement in the base engine. Up to 300 for the high end engine.
How much wood can you put in the trunk? No big deal 3 liter F1 engines make over 700HP.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #66
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, guys...remember, horsepower can be simply calculated as RPM x torque.

I does no good to have most of your horsepower above 5k rpm, if you operate at 2,500 rpm. The reason the diesels are lower rated is that the have a lower top RPM. They have better torque at the range we normally run it.

The 4.0 in my '11 access cab has more useful power than the 318 in the 68 dodge with headers, holley, glasspacks and stage 1 intake.

Howard
Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #67
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
I does no good to have most of your horsepower above 5k rpm, if you operate at 2,500 rpm.
Howard
HP=TORQUE X RPM / 5252
Did you know that with any engine torque and horsepower are exactly equal at 5252 RPM?
Here's an interesting bit of trivia; below 5252 rpm any engine's torque number will always be higher than its horsepower number, and above 5252 rpm any engine's horsepower number will always be higher than its torque number unless it is tuned for a peak HP# above 5252 rpm's, then the inverse is true.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #68
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
Hey, guys...remember, horsepower can be simply calculated as RPM x torque.

I does no good to have most of your horsepower above 5k rpm, if you operate at 2,500 rpm. The reason the diesels are lower rated is that the have a lower top RPM. They have better torque at the range we normally run it.

The 4.0 in my '11 access cab has more useful power than the 318 in the 68 dodge with headers, holley, glasspacks and stage 1 intake.

Howard
Lol, wow ^^ that's crazy. A V6 with more actual output power then an old 5.0+ (I'm too lazy to calculate it's exact cid) V8.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #69
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to compare it to a 5.0 Mustang, try comparing them to the new 5.0L making 420hp on 87 octane gas.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #70
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
How much wood can you put in the trunk?.
A surprising amount. My Subie was hauling sliders and 8-ft lumber while the Taco was on jacks getting a lift installed.

Keep in mind WRX STI's power comes from turbocharging, not revving, so the torque curve is quite good, above 250 lb-ft from 3400 rpm all the way to redline:

Old 10-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #71
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Comparison with contemporary V6 used in competing trucks/SUVs:
F-150 base 3.7L V6 non-turbo: 302 hp @ 6500 rpm, 278 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Jeep Grand Cherokee base 3.6L V6: 290 hp, 260 lb-ft
Nissan Frontier V6: 266 hp @ 5600 rpm, 284 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

Compared to these, the Taco's V6 is deficient in power and torque.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #72
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
F150 and Cherokee are not in the same class.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #73
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post

the tacoma is faster than the frontier tho
Old 10-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #74
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
If you want to compare it to a 5.0 Mustang, try comparing them to the new 5.0L making 420hp on 87 octane gas.
Now why would I want to do that? Don't forget, those cars also weigh substantially less then what our 4.0 has to haul as well.

I had a 05 GTO with over 450 WHEEL horsepower (not flywheel horsepower like the mustang's 420HP) that I could run 87 on all day as well, with a compression ratio of 11.0, which is hardly a low amount of horsepower and a low compression ratio by any means, that thing rocked my world and mostly everyones around it, it was so torquey it was ridiculous... I'm hardly impressed by any high output engine cranking out big powaz running on 87 gas nowadays. The magic is all in the tuning.

The only thing you are getting out of 91 octane vs. 87 is a slower burning more stable petro really, nothing more out of it. The closer you bring the piston quench to the valves the less chance of detonation and knock, which allows you the ability to run a lower octane like the standard 87. So in theory you could be running a CR of over 12.5 and up ^^ without ever having to use "premium" gas.

Like I said, at the end of the day I'm more impressed with torque numbers because that's what gets you moving. I could give less of a damn about HP, because that's the figure which just sells cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post

Don't forget, those other guys are probably not using a more true to life way of testing their horsepower where yota is.

Stop getting so hung up on numbers and base your facts on the real life performance vs. the competitors if it bothers you that much.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #75
dsmithla is on a distinguished road
dsmithla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I've never driven the new Wranglers and don't know the specs on them but I've often heard they were under powered. And I wouldn't think they would be heavier than the Tacoma. What about the torque numbers?

Pre Pentastar (2012) yeah, but the Pentastar JKs are getting much better reviews. Especially with the 3.73 rear end. I still wouldn't expect them to beat a Tacoma off the line, it's just that merging into traffic isn't quite as scary as it used to be in a jeep (or as it is in my 99 TJ, for that matter).
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #76
dsmithla is on a distinguished road
dsmithla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
3.8 or 3.6? The 3.8 was junk but the new Pentastar puts out a decent amount of power. 285hp and 265tq.

and it's a pretty flat torque curve for a v6 too. The 3.8 you had to get the RPMs up to get decent torque. Not really what you want in a Jeep.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #77
Scott78 is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
Scott78's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Annnddd enter Debbie Downer...