Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Impressive HP from 4.0L

Old 10-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Impressive HP from 4.0L

I am really impressed with the horsepower that our 4.0L's put out. It's hard to believe that these motors put out more HP than the 5.0L Stangs, and the 5.7L Iroc Z's of yesteryear. It's almost as if a truck and a sports car got together and out came the Tacoma! I would think that if you really got on the gas at a light that you would most likely leave some stripes and smoke, although I am not into the whole burnout thing (anymore). Impressive, most impressive...........
Old 10-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
The 1GR-FE is indeed a great motor
Old 10-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Eh, I have brake launched my truck before and didn't do much more than chirp... I am running 33"s though. It's got decent power for what it is though
Old 10-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
I partly agree, the 236 hp isn't bad, but the 265 ft lbs is more impressive IMHO. If only the fuel economy was better, at least when you aren't working it hard.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if it would even spin with TRAC...............maybe if it was off
Old 10-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtaco View Post
I am really impressed with the horsepower that our 4.0L's put out. It's hard to believe that these motors put out more HP than the 5.0L Stangs, and the 5.7L Iroc Z's of yesteryear. It's almost as if a truck and a sports car got together and out came the Tacoma! I would think that if you really got on the gas at a light that you would most likely leave some stripes and smoke, although I am not into the whole burnout thing (anymore). Impressive, most impressive...........
Everything puts out more power than old engines. Technology changes.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
x2 ....you have more horsepower and better fuel economy plus bigger vehicles
Old 10-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just as a testament to this ^, look at Subbie's 2.5l engines in their WRX's they're making 250hp with almost half the displacement in the base engine. Up to 300 for the high end engine.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not very impressed by the 4.0L HP... New JK wranglers and Dodge minivans have more HP (hard to admit a minivan has more HP then my 2012 tacoma)
Old 10-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006KJ View Post
I'm not very impressed by the 4.0L HP... New JK wranglers and Dodge minivans have more HP (hard to admit a minivan has more HP then my 2012 tacoma)
Some people are just never satisfied. You have to remember that the 4.0 is kinda old while the Pentastar V6 is new. More power doesn't make fir a better engine though.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Got R Did

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Some people are just never satisfied. You have to remember that the 4.0 is kinda old while the Pentastar V6 is new. More power doesn't make fir a better engine though.
Yeah but the minivan doesn't have A-TRAC
Old 10-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Previously "MGMTacoFF"
CanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
CanisLupus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Annnddd enter Debbie Downer...

Old 10-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Annnddd enter Debbie Downer...

Sorry about dropping a truth line there.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've never driven the new Wranglers and don't know the specs on them but I've often heard they were under powered. And I wouldn't think they would be heavier than the Tacoma. What about the torque numbers?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh really? Have you noticed the Hilux sold overseas has a measily 140ish horsepower?

I hate the emphasis on horsepower in trucks, across all manufacturers in the US. It shows why people in this country buy trucks, and it's not because they need trucks. Anyone doing work with a pickup knows torque and gearing matter way more.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Oh really? Have you noticed the Hilux sold overseas has a measily 140ish horsepower?

I hate the emphasis on horsepower in trucks, across all manufacturers in the US. It shows why people in this country buy trucks, and it's not because they need trucks. Anyone doing work with a pickup knows torque and gearing matter way more.
You had to bring up the Hilux
Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You had to bring up the Hilux
Some trucks are built for doing work. I just wish they sold them here in North America, that's all.

The 4.0 is a fantastic petro motor. I'm just sick of talking about horsepower, because that's not the metric that matters in a truck. Want horsepower? Mustangs and Camaros are right over there, and the top trim units with the big V8s clock in right around the same price as our trucks. Shitloads of horsepower. Good luck towing with them.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post

Agreed. Heck, I'd be driving a 22re powered double cab solid axle 4x4 Hilux if I had the option for reasonable money. I bought the tacoma because I could get it for about the same or less $$ and don't want a RHD.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you know they both use the same motor right? the minivan is also meant to haul 7 people and all of their shit, i'd hope it has some good horsepower to be doing that all day..
Old 10-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #20
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I've never driven the new Wranglers and don't know the specs on them but I've often heard they were under powered. And I wouldn't think they would be heavier than the Tacoma. What about the torque numbers?
A guy I work with has a new Wrangler... It is VERY underpowered. It can't get out of its own way on the freeway which is the only place most wranglers will ever see