1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stalling sound from Automatic 2012 V6?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MrKyfosh, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Oct 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

Wellllllll ? What happened?

2. Oct 18, 2013 at 4:42 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    X2 What was the outcome?

3. Oct 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Basically I made my case, Toyota's rep (Maurice Howard, from the San Ramon, CA regional office) made his case. That amounted to: there's an issue, FTS recommends people with the ping still run 87 octane gas (!) and it is being investigated. No information on timeline to a fix, no information on whether it's damaging or not, no information at all, really.

He said that Toyota does not "think" it is causing engine damage. I asked "How many motors with this problem has Toyota torn down to inspect?"
    Reply: I don't know if any at all have been torn down.
    "So you don't actually know if there is damage being done?"
    Reply: No, I don't know the answer to that question.
    "Why would Toyota work on a fix if damage was not taking place?"
    Reply: We fix everything that enough customers complain about.
    (seriously, buddy? What the hell did you smoke?)

He also had no information on the root cause.

It basically turned into a big Q&A at the end, with me asking the questions and him having zero answers.

The arbitrator has ordered an independent ASE-certified tech inspect the truck in the near future. The arbitrator specifically said to have 87 octane in the tank for the inspection. More runaround, more bullshit, no resolution forthcoming. Because, mind you, the Service Manager at Piercey Toyota drove the thing and noted the conditions/noises.

Oh, also, according to Mr. Howard, I am the first person he's heard of with this problem. Yet Toyota is working on a 'fix'.

More Company Man B.S. and a useless arbitrator.

I'm going to test drive a Frontier tomorrow afternoon. I'll admit right off that all I'd effectively be doing is losing the investment in my Tacoma upgrades and trading one set of problems (pings, driveline vibes, etc.) for another set of problems (rear end issues, 4 hour spark plug changes). I'm not saying Nissan is better, just different. So I want to see what else is out there. I'm hardly going to come back tomorrow a new Frontier owner, that's for sure.

I would GLADLY have gone out and bought a '13 or '14 Tacoma in the same trim with the 6 speed manual already, since the manuals don't seem to have this problem (due to a smarter 'computer' controlling the shift pattern). Problem is, I can't find one anywhere in northern CA. I asked a dealer to order me one, but he won't know if the factory accepted the order for at least another 10-14 days. Then you have to wait for them to build the sucker.

I also pondered a 6 speed FJ. Could be the Japanese engine plants put out better engines, overall, since you rarely hear of this problem in pre-dual-VVT-i FJ's and 4Runners. I found a couple locally, but I have concerns with the cargo capacity (big concerns). Neat as an FJ would be, I don't know that it would meet all my needs. The trucks are just too damn versatile.

4. Oct 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    By a 2013 or 2014 tacoma I did'nt like the frontiers, colorados, dakotas, canyons, and ridgeline. Its the top midsize truck that beats full size v8s you aint going to beat it.

Products Discussed in

To Top