Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stalling sound from Automatic 2012 V6?

Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
MrKyfosh is on a distinguished road
Name: Nicholas
MrKyfosh's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Stalling sound from Automatic 2012 V6?

I have a brand new 2012 V6 Tacoma with 1700 miles on it and my transmission/engine has a stalling sound every now and then when it is just shifting into second gear and is low in rpms (usually on a slight uphill).

The sound is very similar to when I wouldn't give my manual vehicles enough gas and it would be close to stalling out. But this is an automatic and would not be expecting something like this. I know (my girlfriend reaffirms this) that I can be too maticulous, but this is just loud enough not to ignore.

Any body else run into this?

Thanks a lot everyone!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I think it is just you. Take ot back in though if you feel that there is an issue.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Lol, you're not telling me what I want to hear. I do plan on bringing it back in some time, but just wanted to see if any one else is running into this. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
You might have a loose heat shield. My truck has a rattle at low RPMs.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
I believe it's just your conscious playing tricks on you. No problems here with my 2012 Taco
Old 10-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
fritzthecat will become famous soon enough

Navy:
fritzthecat's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, it sounds like you are in a too high a gear for acceleration. Also sounds like marbles in the engine. My 2007 does it on occasion.
Couple of things you can try:
Unplug battery to reset ECU and then don't drive like a granny on valium.
Blip throttle when the noise happens to downshift.
Accelerate faster.
Use premium gas.

Fritz
Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
cbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
cbr04's Tacoma Gallery
Coincidentally I just took my Tacoma in for this exact "issue" this morning. Short answer: dealer said it's "normal".
Old 10-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Perhaps there is a Tranny kick down cable or adjustment that can be made. Or a reflash of your computer.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Banned
There is no tranny kickdown cable.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe a tank of premium fuel will make a difference.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Thank you for all of the help guys.

As far as premium fuel goes, it was keep my Scion xD and drive on premium or buy a new Taco and use regular... jk. May give that a try, I try to always keep my tank full (never letting it go below a 3/4) due to not having to cry at the pump.

The heat shield may be an idea, but I feel the performance (or lack of slightly) when it makes this noise, not just another rattle. Thanks.

I figured the dealer would say it was normal, thanks for letting me know!

May try unplugging the battery when my XM goes out and I need to wipe my channels clean.

But I was thinking this. My Tercel (RIP where ever it may be) had an idle screw that when you turned it up it fed more gas into the engine... would that be an idea at all?

Again thanks for all of the help!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
The Aviator
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
These have a funky transmission that seems to get confused during uphill runs for whatever reason.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyfosh View Post
But I was thinking this. My Tercel (RIP where ever it may be) had an idle screw that when you turned it up it fed more gas into the engine... would that be an idea at all?
No.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
Would you be able to explain, why not? Before I try just in spite of what you said lol.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Would you be able to explain, why not? Before I try just in spite of what you said lol.
what year was your tercel? our trucks are fuel injected.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Because it's fuel injected...
Old 10-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
The Aviator
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
No.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
what year was your tercel? our trucks are fuel injected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Because it's fuel injected...
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
Well that sums up a lot. Thank you very much. Now I know.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #19
Steve33fish is on a distinguished road

Steve33fish's Tacoma Gallery
Had same issue, pinging when driving up hills and slight delay sensation. 91 octane stopped the ping, and the shifting seems better. I think our trucks are in the break in periods.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
The Aviator

You know what to do during the break in period?

Gas it to hell!