Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Tacoma-Does your truck have this?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
jwenner3 is on a distinguished road
jwenner3's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Tacoma-Does your truck have this?

I just hit around 2000 miles on my 2012 Tacoma. I love it so far no complaints at all. Today I was out in the garage on the floor and noticed that my frame has the little spots everywhere. They seem to only be right on the welds, not anywhere else. I cannot tell if they are rust but they do not really seem like it. They are kind of a goldish color so I'm wondering if its just the welds being exposed or what. I have only had it a few months. It has not seen much rain and I am in Washington state, so no salty roads or anything like that. Please let me know what you think. Thank you. -James
Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Looks like normal road wear.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Life is a one way trip,enjoy it.
dimduk is on a distinguished road

Name: patrick
dimduk's Tacoma Gallery
When the frame was painted the welds most likely still had some residue left on them which the paint has trouble adherring to.Most likely the paint has been washed away and surface rust is starting to develope.Frame paint is likely just liquid paint and baked.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
Clean it with calcium lime rust remover and when dry hit it with some flat black paint, you can also preserve that exhaust metal with header paint, flat black keep the rust down a little.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
jwenner3 is on a distinguished road
jwenner3's Tacoma Gallery
Alright thank you guys for the replies. I saw those spots and kind of freaked out. I'm just wondering if I should have had it factory undercoated
Old 10-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
yup, I have those too. I'm glad I saw this forum. I thought it was rust from the sand it's seen a few times in the desert. Seems normal though.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #9
jokerj80 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeremy
jokerj80's Tacoma Gallery
Have it professionaly undercoated. It also acts as a sound barrier. Makes for a quieter ride.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwenner3 View Post
Alright thank you guys for the replies. I saw those spots and kind of freaked out. I'm just wondering if I should have had it factory undercoated
Being your in Washington State where it rains alot i'd advise against the factory undercoating. That stuff develops cracks over time that allows water to get trapped behind it. Once rust starts you have know way of knowing and no way to stop it. If you do decide to get some rust protection go with a product like Fluid Film.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bucky
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Being your in Washington State where it rains alot.
What? Not here! Friday was the first rain in 3 months
Old 10-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #12
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What? Not here! Friday was the first rain in 3 months
Yeah, but I think mother nature was trying to make up for it in one weekend.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bucky
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Yeah, but I think mother nature was trying to make up for it in one weekend.
..... accompanied by a round of thunder and lightning tonight
Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #14
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
It's not rust, that's the coating applied to the frame before paint. Not sure if it's zinc chromate but it looks like it.