Notices

New Toyota 1GR-FE Supercharger Details

Old 08-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
New Toyota 1GR-FE Supercharger Details

Toyota Provides Details of 1GR Supercharger
Posted on August 9, 2007 07:12 PM

After months of speculation, rumors, and doubt, a conversation with a Toyota representative today confirmed details of the forthcoming TRD 1GR-FE supercharger.

Some of the details below have been rumored for quite some time, but there are some interesting bits of new information as well.

An official press release should be coming soon, but here's what we now know to be fact:

The production unit is an intercooled roots-type Eaton M90
Test mule trucks have seen roughly a 30% HP and torque increase. This should equate to around 70 additional (presumably crank) horsepower, resulting in just over 300HP on an otherwise stock truck.
There will be TWO application kits: One for Tacoma trucks and one for FJ Cruiser SUVs. There will not be separate units based on transmission.
The units will provide around 6.5PSI of boost
Installation of the unit will be simple (probably around 5 hours for a dealership), although probably a bit more involved than previous (5VZ-FE) supercharger installs due to the low temperature radiator, intercooler, and a (presumably ECU) flash. The unit utilizes a single belt with tensioner.
As expected, the unit will require high octane fuel, either 91 or 93 octane. Our source indicated that he has had no pinging or detonation in his unit.
The unit will be 50-state legal
MSRP on the kit will be in the "low to mid $4,000s".
Units will be hitting the market in early to mid September - right on schedule according to our source
Overall, the representative indicated that his supercharged truck (the red Tacoma appearing at the recent TTORA event and in our previous coverage) is very fun to drive and is "very reminiscent" of the previous 3.4L supercharged trucks.

For you 4Runner fans, it is also worth noting that they do not have any plans to release a 4Runner specific kit, and it is unknown whether either of the two versions will work properly on the 4.0L in the 4Runner.

So there you have it folks: straight from the horse's mouth and the superchargers should begin shipping in September.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
rancid is on a distinguished road
rancid's Tacoma Gallery
mmmmm.....SC....you've now added another reason for me to buy a taco! My wallet is gonna hate me...

Thanks for sharing the news!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
gegundez will become famous soon enough
gegundez's Tacoma Gallery
When a group buy is in place, please sign me up.