Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking for bed cover for 2012 Taco 4dr,short bed

Old 10-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
flyfsh65 is on a distinguished road
Name: Harry
flyfsh65's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for bed cover for 2012 Taco 4dr,short bed

I am looking for a bed cover for my 2012 Taco 4dr, short bed. It has cargo rails and I wanted a cover that works with them. Any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
ewkplymi is on a distinguished road
ewkplymi's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Recent Install of BakFlip VP Bed Cover

I recently purchased a 2012 Tacoma 4 x 4 Regular Bed and installed a BakFlip VP cover from http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/. The installation was easy, the fit is right on, the profile is very low, the strength of the cover is excellent, and it looks great. The BakFlip uses the existing rail system for mounting.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s...p/photo/281678

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s...p/photo/281677

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s...p/photo/281676
Old 10-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
charles leandro will become famous soon enough
charles leandro's Tacoma Gallery
soft cover

tuxado lo pro uses tocoma trac system works good elect gate lock
Old 10-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I believe most (all?) of the Access covers allow the track system to work. I know for sure the Literider does because I have one.

Check this out, they're a TW vendor: http://www.truckalterations.com/html/tacomaworld.html I bought mine from them.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Divot is on a distinguished road
Divot's Tacoma Gallery
ewkplymi,

I also have a 2012 Tacoma short bed and purchased the BakFlip VP. I really like the vinyl look and low profile. I get a lot of compliments on it. I've had just two issues that I wonder if you've come across.

1. I'd really like the cover to be about 1/4" more forward, toward the cab. However the mounting knobs are as far forward in the mounting bracket slots as they can go. The cover's frames are as far forward as they can go as well.

2. I have to slam the last section down pretty firmly to get it to latch. The screws on the underside of the cover where it meets the top of the tailgate are damaging the plastic rail cap on the tailgate.

I installed the power Pop & Lock on the tailgate. Other than those two issues, all works great.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Divot is on a distinguished road
Divot's Tacoma Gallery
ewkplymi,

Just realized you have the long bed. You may, or may not, have the same issues.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
tacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomaconvert's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up extang full tilt for my '12 short bed SR5, I'll let you know tomorrow how install goes.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
ewkplymi is on a distinguished road
ewkplymi's Tacoma Gallery
Divot, I noticed the same two items that you mentioned. I feel that the cover is about 1/2" too long for a truly proper fit. When I line up the cover for a proper fit because the length is slightly longer than it should be when I fold the cover up it hits the back window frame at the bottom and not the top. I am going to contact BakFlip to give them feedback on their new product. I will include this forum link in the email. Also, they should move the threaded nuts that are used to secure the cover back at least 1" so that the knob isn't so tight against the bed, it is very difficult to tighten the knob down. I would also like to see a rubber pad adhered to the top of the slotted mounting brackets to better secure the cover, the rubber washer under the knob does not have enough surface area to keep the cover from moving. I will post any feedback from them. I still think that it is a great product and with a few modifications it could be even better.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
tacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaconvert is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just finished install on extang full tilt, easy and intuitive install, cam be adjusted a few different ways to fine tune install and fit. Its close, but cleats in bed rail system function fine. Getting bed extender in next few days, will see how that fits. If interested, I'll post pics later.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
sandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sandjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad7088 View Post
I have a G4 fold-a-cover. I love it!
X2. I also installed a pl8521 for a very secure combination.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the Truxport Truxedo and I love it... soft roll up tonneau with velco on the sides.. mounts above the rails so you can still use all the bed rail tie downs.. only $250.. and keeps all the water out. Plus it's pretty secure unless you cut the cover (i have a pop&lock too). I like it more then a trifold because i dont have to store it anywhere if want to use the whole bed... just roll it to the front. all the cross supports are attached to, and roll up with the cover.

truxedo truxport-
http://youtu.be/iWoiVD3hLsw

on an unlimited budget i would buy this cover
http://youtu.be/qDFth7D92QQ

roll-x hard rolling tonneau cover. but you lose use of the bed rails.

which brings me to the next best option.. keep the use of the bed rails.. very very secure.. and can be removed in less then a min.

http://extang.com/docs/solidfold.html
http://youtu.be/g1E_iiw0qwQ

extang solid fold. would be very nice if $ isnt much of an issue. but you still have to remove and store it if you want to use the entire bed
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
I believe most (all?) of the Access covers allow the track system to work. I know for sure the Literider does because I have one.

Check this out, they're a TW vendor: http://www.truckalterations.com/html/tacomaworld.html I bought mine from them.
Not all Access, as far as I know the Limited and I cant say for sure, but I think the Lite Rider are the ones that work. I bought a used Loredo in which I was told worked with the rails by the owner. Not on mine. Apparently there are 2 sizes of cleats. His were smaller which he gave me and they still don't really work on mine. They will to some extent but are a pita and wont tighten down tight enough for anything heavy.

I've been looking at the thread about items that work with the rails and plan to try to get some I bolts to work with mine. Also was thinking about adding D rings up front.

Aside from the cleats not working on mine, I love the Access covers.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery

Bakflip HD
Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #16

Extang full tilt works fine with factory extender. Great cover, very versatile. Can unsnap and roll up easily, or the whole cover detaches and removes in less than a minute.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #17
krob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Kelly
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on whether you want security or just cover your gear. The G4 Elite allows you to use the rails and is very secure with its own locks. If coupled with a pop & lock, it is secure. It is a little more difficult if you want to completely remove for big loads. Extang Solid Fold is secure if coupled with a pop & lock and is easily removed if you have a big load. It does hook onto the rails, so it does not allow total usage of the rails. Many of the other solid tonneaus can be easily accessed with a wire hangar leaving your gear and the cover unsecure.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad7088 View Post
I have a G4 fold-a-cover. I love it!
X3 Love my G4 Elite
Old 10-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
TAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
TAOScott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfsh65 View Post
I am looking for a bed cover for my 2012 Taco 4dr, short bed. It has cargo rails and I wanted a cover that works with them. Any suggestions?
OP, you didn't tell us if you are looking for a soft cover, or a hard cover? Do you have a particular budget?

My suggestions for the soft covers will be the Extang Trifecta or Access Limited. Hard covers have a few more options, but some can be tricky with the rails.

Feel free to give me a call and we can discuss your options.