Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lights for camper, plug wont hold

Old 10-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
phoneguy44's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to phoneguy44
Lights for camper, plug wont hold

Where can I get one of these online (dont knowwhat its called)? I've never needed it till now. Mine was broke when I got the truck and it wont hold my pig tail from camper, keeps falling off. Looks like all I have to do is take two screws out and unplug and repeat process to put a new one on.
Thanks guys

Old 10-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
You can find them on this here site also
Old 10-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
NHCrewcab2008 is on a distinguished road
NHCrewcab2008's Tacoma Gallery
walmart, $20.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
The Hopkins (Hoppy) Endurance line is quite nice. I put one of their 4/5/7 receptacles on my old truck. They're widely available.

48470 Endurance™ Multi-Tow® 7 RV Blade, 5 & 4 Wire Flat

Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
brianv3ntura is on a distinguished road
brianv3ntura's Tacoma Gallery
Pep Boys sells a bigger variety than Walmart
Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Check Toyota the factory set up is a lot better built and water proof it's also plug and play.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, you need the lid. The lid helps hold your trailer plug. You can find a new pretty much anywhere.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Check Toyota the factory set up is a lot better built and water proof it's also plug and play.
"A lot better built" than what? I've owned the OEM and Hopkins Endurance parts; there's no discernable difference in quality. Both feature a fairly rugged, water resistant receptacle, complete with seals on the self-closing cover. The Hopkins 4/5/7 part offers superior compatibility with different trailer wiring, too.

I agree that it'd be better to have a PnP replacement part, but if it's priced like a lot of OEM parts, I'd skip it. At least on my truck, there's enough wire available to remove the OEM plug and wire the towing harness into an aftermarket plug.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
i only have the 4 pin harness. is there such think as a converter from 4 to 7? i like that hopkins one
Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Dan View Post
i only have the 4 pin harness. is there such think as a converter from 4 to 7? i like that hopkins one
I don't think you can buy one, but you could make one yourself. That still may not be a good idea, though.

There wouldn't be any electric brake control wiring (just brake lights) for the trailer, which is the main reason for using more than a flat-4 system. That's also probably the reason that adapter isn't available. No manufacturer wants to be responsible for someone plugging a trailer with electric brakes (round-7) into a tow vehicle with flat-4 and believing they have trailer brakes, when they don't.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Dan View Post
I've never seen a 4-7 pin harness and probably for the same reasons DoorDing already mentioned.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 4 to 7 adapter some years ago. But I do not remember where I got it. I think it was probably Walmart or one of the chain parts stores.

In fact I need to look for it, it might still be around somewhere. I used it for a small boat trailer with 4 pins, where my truck and pop-up camper were using the 7 pin.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
I had a 4 to 7 adapter some years ago. But I do not remember where I got it. I think it was probably Walmart or one of the chain parts stores.

In fact I need to look for it, it might still be around somewhere. I used it for a small boat trailer with 4 pins, where my truck and pop-up camper were using the 7 pin.
Sounds like you had a 7 - 4 pin adapter, not a 4 to 7 pin. The 7 to 4 is easy to find and is available at any auto parts store, Uhaul or Walmart. I don't believe the 4 to 7 exists because it would allow the owner to tow a trailer without the proper connections. As DoorDing said, most trailers with 7 pin connectors have them because they require brakes. A connector that has 4 pins on the truck side and 7 on the trailer side would bypass the brakes.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #14
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Thanks guys ! Much appreciated.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #15
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Sounds like you had a 7 - 4 pin adapter, not a 4 to 7 pin. The 7 to 4 is easy to find and is available at any auto parts store, Uhaul or Walmart. I don't believe the 4 to 7 exists because it would allow the owner to tow a trailer without the proper connections. As DoorDing said, most trailers with 7 pin connectors have them because they require brakes. A connector that has 4 pins on the truck side and 7 on the trailer side would bypass the brakes.
Something like these allows for flat-4 truck / round-7 trailer, but it's not really an adapter.

I used this one when I wired a brake controller for my old truck. I had to start from scratch with all the tow wiring. I added a flat-4 PnP kit to the truck, plugged that flat-4 into the back side of the 4/7 receptacle, and wired the brake controller to the individual leads coming from the receptacle. Someone could skip connecting the brake controller wiring and have flat-4 functionality at the round-7 receptacle, but again, that's probably not a good idea. Every trailer I've seen with a round-7 had trailer brakes, and needed them.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #16

Army:
hmm, anyone have the OEM part number by chance ?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy44 View Post
hmm, anyone have the OEM part number by chance ?
I believe this is what you need, but you should check with them to see if it'll fit your year. I think they also sell the short harness between that receptacle and the main harness, if you need that, too.

$26 is much better than I thought it'd be!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #18

Army:
Just went by the dealer, $224.95 OUCH
Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #19
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy44 View Post
Just went by the dealer, $224.95 OUCH
For that price buy an aftermarket and replace it every other year.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #20
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a Tractor supply in your area they have a ton of towing supplies.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...FQWe4AodL0sANA