Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Homemade Rock Sliders

Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #21
CollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
CollegeKevin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Looks stout as hell! Nice work. How many hours labor so far?
Thank you. I'm probably around 5 hours in at this point. A lot of that time was deciding on how I wanted them to look. I didnt really do any preplanning. Sorta measured and cut as I went.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough

Army: 91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Austin
3RZ Taco's Tacoma Gallery
have you tried lifting the truck with them?? thats what id like to see haha
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #23
CollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RZ Taco View Post
Yea I have a hi lift jack that I will try out on it after I weld it to the frame. Ill take pics when I do it. I have no doubt that they wouldn't hold.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #24
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RZ Taco View Post

He will be able to lift off any part of the slider without any issues with that design and material.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #25
3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough

ive used that stuff in the past and loved it, decently light but very strong
Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #26
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
my 120 wall sliders flex about 1/8 inch on the hi lift. these probably won't move.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #27

makes me want to make some for my truck after my long travel :P
Old 10-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #28
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Good work! They are definitely super beefy!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
phsycle is on a distinguished road
phsycle's Tacoma Gallery
If you're able to, you might want to cut a bevel/ramp on the front end. Helps not getting hung up on stuff.

You can see it in this pic (sorry about the size):

Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
If you're able to, you might want to cut a bevel/ramp on the front end. Helps not getting hung up on stuff.

You can see it in this pic (sorry about the size):

Ahh. I already capped the ends today. That would have been a good.idea. I like.your.skid plate.tho. I might try something like that. Is that 1/8" steel?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #31
bangarang is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
bangarang's Tacoma Gallery
looks great! The kickout would be nice too thou.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #32
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Any reason for square pipe vs round? Looks good.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stacoma View Post
Any reason for square pipe vs round? Looks good.
Easier to work with and I like the look more than round.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangarang View Post
looks great! The kickout would be nice too thou.
Yea I was gonna come off the 1st runner with a longer 45 intersecting the 2nd runner but decided against it. I don't want the kids around here to think my truck is a jungle gym.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #35

Little update. Finished capping off the ends and smoothing them out. Also cut and bent the pieces to weld to the frame of the truck. Instead of using 3" angle like I originally planned, I decided to cut 1/4" flat stock into 5"x7" pieces and bending them to give a 2" lip that will catch the bottom of the frame. I still have to cut the gussets and legs. Also picked up a can of Herculiner for the finished product.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #36
Loves Sammiches.
J Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 25B - IT
Name: Jared
J Rod's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice work man! Always love seeing some DIY!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #37
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work.
If you ever bend those, they'll tell you about it in the ER.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #38

Some more updated pics.

Still don't think it will be done for Rausch Creek, but its still almost complete.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #39
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
You might be done in time if you take Friday off, but even then, that's not much time for paint to cure. You have to paint them after welding them on anyway, so you could run bare steel this weekend. I almost had to do that, but just got the last bolt turned on mine five minutes ago.