Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What to do!?!?!?!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
What to do!?!?!?!

Alright, I am going to be purchasing a new 2013 taco this week. I have already worked out the trade value and invoice pricing and the $500 rebate on the new truck. I am going with a 4 cyl access cab 5 spd 4x4. The 2.7 has legendary reliability, gets great MPG and tow anything I will possibly need (3,500 lbs).

I am trying to decide of the SR5 package is worth the $1,000 more than the convenience package. From any one who has the convenience package, do you regret not having the SR5?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
LocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud of

Coast Guard: RDC Retired
Name: Don
LocoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Go SR5, I did.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Do it.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by himmie View Post
Do it.
I'm just wondering if I'd be better served buying a tonneau cover and a tow hitch instead of having the camera etc etc.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Well you need to get the packages you want now and if there are aftermarket things you want you can order them later. Christmas is coming, for example, and you can add a tow hitch and wiring for about $150. I did.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
david2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: take a guess
david2011sr5's Tacoma Gallery
I have essentially the same truck your about to get. If I were you I'd opt for the SR5 package. It will help with resale, though that's not why I opted for it. I don't plan on ever selling her (she's like a child to me). You won't be disappointed either way, its a taco. If your a good negotiator you can get the SR5 package at no extra cost. I only payed 20,600 after discounts and haggling, I couldn't find a used one for that price! Oh and always wait till the end of the month they have numbers to meet so your more apt to get the best deal. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by david2011sr5 View Post
I have essentially the same truck your about to get. If I were you I'd opt for the SR5 package. It will help with resale, though that's not why I opted for it. I don't plan on ever selling her (she's like a child to me). You won't be disappointed either way, its a taco. If your a good negotiator you can get the SR5 package at no extra cost. I only payed 20,600 after discounts and haggling, I couldn't find a used one for that price! Oh and always wait till the end of the month they have numbers to meet so your more apt to get the best deal. Good luck!
Wait...,so they gave you a 6,000 discount off msrp?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
soldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsoldierguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
soldierguy's Tacoma Gallery
Get the SR5. I just bought my Taco a week ago, and was considering one without it. As I looked at what was in the SR5 package and what I would want to add if I got it without the SR5 package, the SR5 package made sense. The only thing that I'm not sold on is the painted fenders...I kinda like the black fenders.

The backup camera is actually very useful...I have a short garage, and the camera allows me to get within a couple inches of my water softener without guessing and without hitting it.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Get the SR5. I just bought my Taco a week ago, and was considering one without it. As I looked at what was in the SR5 package and what I would want to add if I got it without the SR5 package, the SR5 package made sense. The only thing that I'm not sold on is the painted fenders...I kinda like the black fenders.

The backup camera is actually very useful...I have a short garage, and the camera allows me to get within a couple inches of my water softener without guessing and without hitting it.
Yea I am not sure I need the colored fenders and chrome. The only think I will miss is the auto dimming mirror with camera and the intermittent wipers.

Anyone know if the 2012/2013 are already pre-wired for these. If its a plug n play, then i might just install myself.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
DolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really nice

DolphinJohn's Tacoma Gallery
I'm also about to order a 2013. I don't want the SR5 because I don't like the chrome grill surround and rear bumper, and I also like the black fender flares.
Also, I plan to change rims (I want black) so the alloys are a waste of money to me.
The other stuff I can live without, especially for the money.

Just wanted to give another opinion, even though I don't have the truck yet.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn View Post
I'm also about to order a 2013. I don't want the SR5 because I don't like the chrome grill surround and rear bumper, and I also like the black fender flares.
Also, I plan to change rims (I want black) so the alloys are a waste of money to me.
The other stuff I can live without, especially for the money.

Just wanted to give another opinion, even though I don't have the truck yet.

what kind of set up are you getting? Best of luck with it, they are awesome trucks!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought mine, I was in sort of the same position but between the TRD packages and the SR5. I ended up buying the SR5 because the items I wanted out of the TRD packages, I could add later on at a fraction of the cost of buying the whole package. My only regret is not getting the tow package.

I bought the SR5, traded the chrome grille for a color matched one, sold my wheels and bought TRD Sport wheels and picked up a set of color matched mirrors. I'd decide what's important and then decide if they can be added afterwards. Some things are just a LOT easier to buy as part of a factory package.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
When I bought mine, I was in sort of the same position but between the TRD packages and the SR5. I ended up buying the SR5 because the items I wanted out of the TRD packages, I could add later on at a fraction of the cost of buying the whole package. My only regret is not getting the tow package.

I bought the SR5, traded the chrome grille for a color matched one, sold my wheels and bought TRD Sport wheels and picked up a set of color matched mirrors. I'd decide what's important and then decide if they can be added afterwards. Some things are just a LOT easier to buy as part of a factory package.
Yea, I agree. I've decided to go with the convenience. I couldn't justify the extra $800 for the fluff. I don't need the chrome and back up camera. Yes I know, a tight wad.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash42 View Post
Yea, I agree. I've decided to go with the convenience. I couldn't justify the extra $800 for the fluff. I don't need the chrome and back up camera. Yes I know, a tight wad.
I don't have the camera and I got rid of all my chrome (well, most of it). If you want chrome, keep your eye out in the buy/sell/trade section. Most here don't seem to like chrome and are always selling off their chrome accessories. I ended up installing a back up system by Backstopper. It's one of those systems that beeps as you get closer to something. I like it a lot, the only downside was I had to drill my bumper to install the sensors. I believe there is a no-drill version also. Worth every penny
Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #18
MikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeCB600F is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MikeCB600F's Tacoma Gallery
You can add intermittent wipers for about $100 to $125 and 15 to 20 minutes or your time.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nt-wipers.html

Not sure on the camera thought, but I do have wiring going into the tailgate.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #19
DolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really nice

DolphinJohn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash42 View Post
what kind of set up are you getting? Best of luck with it, they are awesome trucks!
I have a 2000 2WD regular cab stepside that I bought new and love. I just need more cab room and 4WD. I will sell the truck myself because the dealer probably won't give me much for trade. It only has 80k miles.

I want a MGM AC V6, manual 6speed,
Base with Convenience PKG
All weather floor
Fog lights (is it worth $299 or should I go aftermarket?)
Tow hitch receiver (can't get a full "tow package" without SR5 or OR)
(again factory for $399 or should I go aftermarket?, I assume the factory includes the wiring?)

What do you think?

Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #20
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn View Post
I have a 2000 2WD regular cab stepside that I bought new and love. I just need more cab room and 4WD. I will sell the truck myself because the dealer probably won't give me much for trade. It only has 80k miles.

I want a MGM AC V6, manual 6speed,
Base with Convenience PKG
All weather floor
Fog lights (is it worth $299 or should I go aftermarket?)
Tow hitch receiver (can't get a full "tow package" without SR5 or OR)
(again factory for $399 or should I go aftermarket?, I assume the factory includes the wiring?)

What do you think?

Nice, i really like the V6, but mine is mostly a daily driver and dont have any plans to get any heavy toys in the near future. I really love the 21+mpg in the 2.7. You should be able to get the tow package on the v6 access cab with convienence. It includes the hitch, wiring, trans cooler and upgraded alternator. def worth the $399. If you buy a hitch alone, it is roughly $300 without any of the other upgrades.