Question about noise on a new 2013

Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
TACO88 is on a distinguished road

Army:
TACO88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
OP, did you ever do this? ^^^

If not, rather than worrying about it, make an appointment at a dealership and take it in again. Even if nothing is determined at this point, if a problem later develops that's related to the noise, your early attempts to address it will be documented in the Toyota service history of your truck.
No not yet, I was going to give it 5k to see if it resolved itself, I will definitely do it when I take it in for the 5k service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauncho View Post
Just noticed it this weekend. drove out to Vegas and I heard the same sound. I wanna say it's the fuel pump. maybe something to do with just barely feathering it causes the pump to make noise. definitely goes away when you go beyond just feathering the gas pedal. I doubt any serious cause for concern.
That is interesting I hadn't considered that being an option before..hmm... I'm just glad I'm not the only one
Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
4WheeleD is on a distinguished road
4WheeleD's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 does the same thing. I think it is a critical phase in the rear end. Its a vibration analysis issue. complex formula calculating balance with rpm. it has been noticeable for 60,000 km's and isn't getting any worse. I been waiting for it to crater for to long. I won't give it the satisfaction of caring any more. Sound like a hum. only grinding and clunks and shakes need to be worried about.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #23
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheeleD View Post
My 09 does the same thing. I think it is a critical phase in the rear end. Its a vibration analysis issue. complex formula calculating balance with rpm. it has been noticeable for 60,000 km's and isn't getting any worse. I been waiting for it to crater for to long. I won't give it the satisfaction of caring any more. Sound like a hum. only grinding and clunks and shakes need to be worried about.
you suggesting a harmonic resonance due to a perfect storm of vibration tones? Guess I never thought about that.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #24
4WheeleD is on a distinguished road
4WheeleD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauncho View Post
you suggesting a harmonic resonance due to a perfect storm of vibration tones? Guess I never thought about that.
That is because you.............are Shauncho. STUNT C@#K!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #25
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does something very similar but the noise is more of a whistle, like wind noise. 55-60 and playing the gas pedal makes the noise change like you state. I've always assumed it's wind noise, mine sounds like it's coming from the back passenger door area but it's hard to pinpoint from the driver's seat.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #26
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have this problem with my '13. You sure its not cab or tire noise? Although my dang passenger seat or the headrest rattles some....any fix for that?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #27
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheeleD View Post
That is because you.............are Shauncho. STUNT C@#K!!!!!!!!!
do you realize that you are THE FIRST PERSON IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE who has properly recognized the reference. And for that, sir, I commend you.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #28
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
Had a similar issue on my '09 pretty much from new. I finally took it in at 28k miles and they replaced rear axle bearings, both sides.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #29
eastcoast07 is on a distinguished road
eastcoast07's Tacoma Gallery
Had this exact same issue on my 2013 TRD Sport 4d LB. Whirring noise at 55-60, most noticeable when you took your foot off the accelerator. Also has a noise at 30-40, more of a whistle. Finally got a technician to agree the noise was there on a test drive with him. They agreed it was coming from the rear end and ended up replacing the rear diff. which didn't fix the noise. After having the truck for two days they decided to try a new rear axle assembly from another new truck on the lot. Once they replaced the rear axle assembly the noise was gone! All under warranty. Still has the whistling noise at 30-40, annoying but not as bad as the whirring. They tell me it is from the tuning on the exhaust, not convinced.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #30
ajm438 is on a distinguished road
ajm438's Tacoma Gallery
humming rear end noise

Been to the dealership twice with the same noise and it is coming from the load bearings in the rear diff, goes away when you touch the gas and seams to be loudest at 60mph. first they spent two days looking for a wind noise and then finally called in a field tech to inspect it he pulled the drive shaft, put it in 4wd and the noise was gone. They told me Toyota was aware of the problem and working to find a fix but didn't have a timeline for it. That being said I am pretty mad that they didn't tell me that at the beginning since it has been two months that have gone by since the first time I brought it in to be looked at. The truck only has 5100 miles on it and has made the noise from day one and they refuse to try just putting a new rear diff into it. This is my second new Tacoma and if it doesn't get fixed may be my last, I have been left with a very sour taste in my mouth with the whole experience at the dealer and with Toyota customer Service.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #31

Army:
TACO88's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota is putting a new rear diff in mine today, I'll let you know if it makes a difference
Old 04-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #32
ajm438's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, please keep me posted.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #33

Army:
TACO88's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, so, picked the truck up from the dealership today, they replaced the rear differential but said in 3-5 weeks Toyota would be issuing some kind of tsb for this issue and have an updated part (diff/gears). They said replacing the diff didn't fix the problem but honestly it seems a lot better to me. I can hardly hear the noise anymore but I've only driven about 15 miles so far.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #34
ajm438's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, the dealer I went to in MA said the same thing to me but wouldn't put it in writing so I feel better that another dealer told you the same thing.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #35
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Bumping because I have this now.

Plot twist: I have rebuilt diffs from ECGS, rear has solid collar. 4.56 gears at both ends.

Definitely sounds like driveline, definitely at the "barely noticeable, but definitely there" level of volume, and definitely when either feathering the gas or in decel during certain speed ranges (70 down to 55, 40 down to 25 or so). Acceleration makes it go away immediately.

Fluid levels are all good. Wondering if some component in the t-case or tranny wears in over time and starts making this sound. Or if I have a rear axle bearing shitting (wouldn't surprise me with all the hell they've been through). All the typical diagnostics for bearing issues show negative.

I'll update as information comes to light. Plan for now is to say fuck it and drive it til it starts to show itself more clearly or something breaks.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #36
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Bumping because I have this now.

Plot twist: I have rebuilt diffs from ECGS, rear has solid collar. 4.56 gears at both ends.

Definitely sounds like driveline, definitely at the "barely noticeable, but definitely there" level of volume, and definitely when either feathering the gas or in decel during certain speed ranges (70 down to 55, 40 down to 25 or so). Acceleration makes it go away immediately.

Fluid levels are all good. Wondering if some component in the t-case or tranny wears in over time and starts making this sound. Or if I have a rear axle bearing shitting (wouldn't surprise me with all the hell they've been through). All the typical diagnostics for bearing issues show negative.

I'll update as information comes to light. Plan for now is to say fuck it and drive it til it starts to show itself more clearly or something breaks.
Time for a UOA.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #37
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
UOA is pretty much useless without virgin samples and trending. It'd show signs if something major was wrong, but if that were the case I'd likely know it otherwise.

Seems like most who have had this have not had any issues other than the noise.

I have a solid collar setup and have checked the pinion nut, it's fine, and there's no slop in the pinion shaft, so I don't think it's preload or bearing problem there. These types of issues can be hell to diagnose (as per Drew's example), so I expect it'll take a while.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #38
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
UOA is pretty much useless without virgin samples and trending. It'd show signs if something major was wrong, but if that were the case I'd likely know it otherwise.

Seems like most who have had this have not had any issues other than the noise.

I have a solid collar setup and have checked the pinion nut, it's fine, and there's no slop in the pinion shaft, so I don't think it's preload or bearing problem there. These types of issues can be hell to diagnose (as per Drew's example), so I expect it'll take a while.
A virgin sample would be better, but trending has to start from some point in time. You've got enough time and money into your differential that the cost of a few UOAs would be minimal.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #39
frater713 is on a distinguished road
Name: Anthony
frater713's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO88 View Post
Drove the brand new 2013 4dr LB auto SR5 off the lot Friday. I've been hearing a hum/whine/howel when driving at highway speeds. It only seems to do it when lightly feathering the gas or decelerating. The sound seems to be coming from the rear end somewhere and gets louder the longer you drive. It's not constant, comes and goes. I've done some research and it seems like there was/is an issue with the differential, I was only able to find info on later model trucks. Is this normal? Has anyone else had an issue like this on a new truck? Should I be concerned?

I also have the sound that you're talking about. I read somewhere that its just a design flaw that creates the noise and all DCLB's make that whining noise at those speeds. Mine is loud also, but not unbearable. No idea what's causing it, but I love my truck so I don't really care!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #40
Spindifferent has a spectacular aura aboutSpindifferent has a spectacular aura about
Spindifferent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO88 View Post
It happens only between 55 and 60, it's loud enough to notice but not ridiculously loud, it sounds almost like a tire hum but only does it when lightly applying the gas or completely releasing it. Goes away when accelerating; I drove a 97 Toyota 4runner prior to this truck and have never heard anything similar
Do you hear it when the windows are open, closed, or both conditions?

Want to check my 13.